Overhead Light ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead Light ?

Hey dudes,

I wanna put some blue bulbs in my overhead (map light) thing. Does anyone know how to get the cover off to switch the bulbs? Also what size bulbs are in there ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a little slot at the very back of the clear cover between the 2 map light switches. Find yourself a small screwdriver and stick in the little slot and gently push the screwdriver handle towards the rear of the truck. The screwdriver will un hook a little plastic lip and you can pull the cover down with your fingers. Easy easy!

Thanks stephen, also do u know what size bulbs they use??

you can also use a regular ol car key... i use mine becuase it doesnt go into the ign anymore......... the side bulbs are 194s and the middle is 912....however, a 168,194, 912, and 921s all have interchangeable bases... you just may need to check for clearance if you want a bigger bulb

Thanks guys, ya opening it was easy, now just gotta get some new bulbs. also, Do you guys know how to take out those little ones on the corners? they are like pressed back in there and i dont want to like break the bulb and have no way to get them out! let me know thanks

Glad I could help some!
The little ones on the corners?? Where exactly are you talking about?

individual map lights?.........

I have the same question. I got the dome lid off, but how do you get to the 2 smaller bulbs? Does that chromed plate pop off as well?
My fingers aren't that skinny to fit in there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.........

Van

Originally posted by aldive
Did you give any thought to adding brighter bulbs?

What kind of light bulb are these? Has anybody done this?

I just want new bulbs that will make the interior look different.

I can't say for sure on the ex, but on my f-150, to get at the map lights, you remove the dome light cover, remove the bulb, and take the three screws out of the housing and replace the map lights from the 'top' of the light. I think that's how those are too, though I don't think I ever replaced them in my '90 Ranger.

-Joe-

Back