confused please assist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

confused please assist

I am quite confused about my lighting, I am needing to replace the bulb(s) in the overhead console of my 2000 Mountaineer I just purchased. I have attempted to do all the researching prior to posting but to no avail, because I found this list:

2000 Mercury Mountaineer Auto Light Bulb Size Guide

Ash Tray Light Bulb Size: 161 or 194
Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 194
Map Light Bulb Size: 168
Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 168 or 906 or 912
Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 211-2 or 562

I am confused which light it is? map or courtesy? Ive always called them dome lights so I am needing to know which bulb size I need and how many bulbs there are

Ive indicated the light I am talking about in a red square

17690818.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its a map, but I don't know.

Either way, they both take a 168 bulb, soooo......

168? I used 194?.. Are those the same?

Im not sure, I guess ill just pick up a 168. Ive searched and searched but everything ive found lists Dome light for 2001 and up but it doesnt say dome in the list for my 2000

I just changed these today on my '97....and the 168's did not work for me. I had to use the 906/912's that i bought for the middle dome light.

I'm not sure they were original, but the bulbs i pulled out of my overhead console were definitely not 168's either....

I used 194 [perfect fit] in ALL of my interior lights. (Well, minus the very rear one near my hatch.) Actually... I rigged it up to use 194 but it used a weird bulb by default.

194!

I ordered a set of 168/194, if its wrong Im only out 2bucks. any recommendations for good LED replacements that are plug and play?

194 5-SMD LED's. You won't regret it. Put them in everything, your gauges, your heater controls, all of your interiors, the rear license plate lights.

I'll have to get a little more knowledgable with my mountaineer before I go tearin all that out lol I just got my mountaineer a day ago, Ive been an adiment s10 show truck owner for the past year and know those inside and out so Im having to relearn everything. Ive been looking for a good repair guide on these so I could educate myself

That's weird- my '95 takes festoon bulbs. Even the Sylvania website doesn't show the right bulb for mine... Same overhead console...

5+Watt+Clear+Xenon+Light+Bulb+with+Festoon+Base.jpg

The only one in my 98 that needed that weird kinda bulb was the very very rear one, but I rigged it up for 194 use.

I had 194's in mine before i switched to LED and they worked fine

I'm gonna switch over to pre-made LED panels soon, right now I just wanna make sure thats the reason its not working as my radio light does not work either

LED panels won't spread the light out very well... look on ebay for 5 SMD LED 194's... you won't regret it.. and they will work perfectly. As for the radio, it's a very common problem.. [You're talking about the screen, right?]

yeah the screen, everything works on it just the display stays black. I thought maybe it would be a fuse or something but im not sure

yeah the screen, everything works on it just the display stays black. I thought maybe it would be a fuse or something but im not sure

your problem is VERY common, its the power supply for the readout. Cheaply made part that overheats causing the soldered joint to seperate. Search for the fix, its on here somewhere, i just read about it yesterday

Back