Solved - Overheating/coolant overflow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Overheating/coolant overflow

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

johnnyboxturtle

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xl
I have a 92 explorer. It overheated yesterday after driving around a hilly park at slow speeds for about a half hour. I cooked it down and put water and what coolant I had in it. Now idling in the driveway it starts to heat up after 5 minutes and coolant starts overflowing from the fill tank. The radiator isn't hot and after I shut it off if I vent the radiator coolant starts overflowing from the fill tank again. I'm thinking it could be a water pump issue but am not very knowledgeable. Am I looking in the right direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a thermostat stuck closed
roscoe

Pull your thermostat out, and run it will the radiator cap off and full of coolant. See if bubbles rise up, especially when you rev it up a little.

Yeah, it's usually a stuck thermostat.

I suggest replacing with the 195 degree Stant Superstat, though whatever you can get works in the short term.

A bad radiator cap will do that.

If its stuck open, the system can't build pressure (will over heat) and will immediately bubble into the overflow when the engine is running.

Thank you guys. I called my dad and he suggested the thermostat. I replaced it the same day and it's running at a proper temp. Been too busy to post. Thank you guys for your time and knowledge.

Back