P/S feels like its binding; NOT bad ball joints. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P/S feels like its binding; NOT bad ball joints.

377Z

Reaction score
City, State
Lemont, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
I was getting some popping noises from the front end of the ’98 Explorer. Since all the joints in the front end were OE and the car has ~112K I decided to check the ball joints/ tie rods, etc. Sure enough, the lowers were bad; I could move the wheels ~0.125†up and down.

Only changed the lower ball joints at this time, the tie rods and upper ball joints have no play. The work was mostly uneventful, but when I finished I was surprised to find upon test drive that when turning the power steering felt “choppy†as if something (like the new joints) were binding. I jacked up the front end, and with the car off the steering wheel turns smoothly. Starting the car with the front still raised, the effect was still there but less pronounced. I put the front back on the ground, placed the front tires on a snowy patch on the driveway (so the wheel would be easier to turn w/o engine running), shut off the engine, and turned the wheel. Feels normal. I don’t believe the pump sounded funny at first, but its louder now when the wheel is being turned.

Bottom line: Based on this behavior, I believe the issue is with the power steering; the joints are fine. They do not bind when the car is not running, even when the front end is on the ground (i.e. under load).

Clearly, I f&#@’ed up something during the job, because this issue did not exist prior to the job. The only thing I can think of is that while working, I left the key in the ignition and at times I’d just turn the spindle itself instead of constantly going and turning the steering wheel to gain better access. Anyone who has ever done this knows you get some p/s fluid ejected out of the reservoir when you do this. I probably should have disconnected the tie rods first; ah hindsight. I’m guessing I got air in the system somehow as the reservoir looks over full.

Anyone ever have this happen? Is there a way to “purge†the p/s system? The car has been “laid up†since Monday, I need it back on the road so I’m grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, after searching with "power steering" & "bind," "shake," "shudder," & "shimmy" & sifting thru countless posts I found a few mentions of issues occuring when the steering is turned from the wheels when the car is off becuase fluid goes where it isn't supposed to, and that going lock to lock several times may solve it. Secondly, people with somewhat similar problems were advised to change the fluid. This must be a somewhat unusual symptom since no one responded, hopefully anyway since eventually I may get a Ranger (since no more Ex can be had with a stick) & the hardware is the same. I hate the fact that I fixed one thing, and caused another problem.

In any case--to those working on the front end, pop the tie rods off if you need to turn the spindle so you can avoid this.

I hate the fact that I fixed one thing, and caused another problem.

I don't think I've ever fixed something on my ex and not messed up something else. I like to claim that I just hadn't noticed the other problem until after I fixed the first one ;) . Good luck

My power steering gets very stiff when the temp drops. I'm not sure if its just old fluid (possibly water in system) or if the pump is going out. When temps are above about 20 F all is good but once it drops below that it takes a little more muscle to turn the wheel.

Well, I was pretty worried when the pump started making more noise, but I was quite surprised when a simple fluid change quieted it down completely. I'd say a fluid change can only help.

I've got a similar problem...sortof

I've go a '97 XLT V6 w/ 87k. I noticed a similar problem this fall after letting the truck sit for a couple of months. After driving it a mile or so, the steering felt better, but still acted up a couple times breifly. I then discovered that when Jiffy Lube says "Chassis - Lubricated X" they just mean the oil that drips from the filter - the ball joints were bone dry. They're lubed now. I don't know if they're original. I did brakes not long ago and found the joints to be tight ("If it ain't broke..."). Pump doesnt sound abnormal. Does it seem like its a ball joint problem, a steering fluid change problem, or a real steering pump/box problem? The steering acted up again today after sitting about 3-weeks (and I'm in NY where its REAL cold). Thanks in advance - Keith :confused:

Back