P0406 and P140, Explorer '99 XLT V8 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0406 and P140, Explorer '99 XLT V8 5.0

mfilippa

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '99 XLT
P0406 and P140, Explorer '99 XLT V8 5.0, EGR problem

Hello! I'm new to the forum (just registered) but used the forum as reference for over 2 years. This is my first post, as I could not find an answer to my problem.

I got an explorer which I wish to keep for a long time. Recently replaced the IAC valve (stuck), then got the CEL on. The shop told me that two codes poped up:

P1406 - Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic Sensor circuit Downstream Hose
P0406 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High

I read on this forum that EGR problems are 90% due to DPFE sensors. However, I haven't seen anybody reporting these errors.

I can try replacing the DPFE, but have no Ford Service manual. Should I start with the DPFE or are these codes pointing somewhere else?

Thanks!
Mariano
Louisville, KY

PS: where can I get a Ford Service Manual for an Explorer '99 XLT V8 5.0L ? CD or printed is OK. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, and good job searching!!
Before replacing anything, I would first the condition of the hoses connecting the DPFE to the EGR tube.
Look real closely-in fact-remove them to look for leaks.
Disconnect the battery- remove the egr valve and clean it with carb cleaner-or electronic parts cleaner.
If the connections on the DPFE are good, you might be in luck.
Please post results.

I can try replacing the DPFE, but have no Ford Service manual. Should I start with the DPFE or are these codes pointing somewhere else?

PS: where can I get a Ford Service Manual for an Explorer '99 XLT V8 5.0L ? CD or printed is OK. Thanks!

http://www.fordcds.com/

With a bittorrent client and a DVD/CD burner, you'll have a good start :D

http://www.fordcds.com/
With a bittorrent client and a DVD/CD burner, you'll have a good start

THANK YOU !!!! :) :) :)

Disconnect the battery- remove the egr valve and clean it with carb cleaner-or electronic parts cleaner.
If the connections on the DPFE are good, you might be in luck.

Found the EGR valve and the two hoses going to the DPFE. These two suckers are located in the back of the intake, right in the middle of the engine!! I'm a bit short and can't reach, plus seems to be some rust in the EGR valve block.

I'll check if I can replace the hoses first, then try the DPFE sensor. I don't think I'll be able to replace the EGR valve. I'm renting an apartment and don't have a place to work on my car... it is really difficult to work at the parking lot, not being able to tell if I will have more problems or not :(

BTW, I just burned the 1999 Ford Trucks CD and still d/ling the DVD. It will finish d/ling tomorrow, hopefully. Do any of these manuals have pictures regarding location and mounting of all components?

I think I identified the EGR valve, the linear solenoid and all the tubes. I can't see how the DPFE is mounted. Anyone knows how to remove this guy? where can I find removal instructions in the CD/DVD?

Thanks

Back