Paint My Fenders Myself? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint My Fenders Myself?

So I have a Blue 94 explorer. I was in an accident back in October, and now I have purple fenders. I have the tools to remove the paint, whether it be a sand blaster or soda blaster, I can remove it. I was thinking about buying some primer and spray paint cans of my color.

My paint is in great condition because it was garage kept by the previous owner and I bought it a little over a year ago. If I were to go about doing this, what would I need? Layers wise, Primer, color, clear coat, etc.

Removing the paint will not be nessicary.
Nor will additional primer unless you are repairing the fenders.

Since the truck is blue the color match will be a bit challenging if you want an exact match. Blending into the doors will be nessicary for an exact match.

Really it all boils down to your desired results as to how involved this task becomes.

So if I get used fenders from the junkyard that are in great shape... All I need to do is paint them? I have to sand off the clear coat tho right ?

Removing the paint will not be nessicary.
Nor will additional primer unless you are repairing the fenders.

Since the truck is blue the color match will be a bit challenging if you want an exact match. Blending into the doors will be nessicary for an exact match.

Really it all boils down to your desired results as to how involved this task becomes.

sand out all the imperfections.
Just make sure its all sanded well enough for the paint to adhere.

Back