paint underneath the roof rails / rail gutter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

paint underneath the roof rails / rail gutter

If you and suzook bought a ML350 Mercedes Benz, would you expect it to be perfect, yes cause it's a Mercedes and that stands for quality and luxury! Well the ML350 starts at what some of us paid for our limited's, so yes some of us are going over this sub-par quality truck with a fine tooth comb to uncover the CHEAP parts that were not realized when we bought the vehicle. For instance the cheap black sticker that bubbles in the hot sun near the a pillars, or rivets that are visible insted of making it better..... So the high horse that you are on to chastise others is really a miniature pony with a jackass on top of it.... If money was no object to waste how come you didn't buy a MB or better? For some of us that aren't as fortunate as you guys this was a large investment....
I agree that some complaints are a little 'over board'. I do not however agree that the Explorer is a "sub-par quality truck". Just because a very few owners have problems with certain items should not reflect on the overall quality of the vehicle. Most vehicles, MB included, have had their share of problems, past and present. I have had minor MFT issues and the random windshield wipe which has been addressed.
Is it perfect? NO. Does it have issues? YES. No different than the majority of vehicles produced every year. That does not make it sub-par.
I and many others on this Forum think it is a great vehicle. I would not hesitate to get it again.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you think Mercedes makes a perfect vehicle or anything closely resembling that, you are obviously unaware of the serious reliability issues they have had for the past decade or so. Take the magnifying glass over to a Mercedes dealership. You'll be shocked.

I'm on no high horse. I ride donkeys because they're cheaper and you get more work per dollar out of them than show ponies.

I'm not really trying to inflame anyone. I'd be pissed about the MFT and A-pillar rattle nonsense, too. I wouldn't have cared much about the underside of the roof rails or the size of the cupholders, though. I'm sure this is a great vehicle with quirks like every car.

Edit: Start here for fun readings on the amazing ML. Exploding sunroofs, door locks too high, lol. I didn't even have to spend a minute there to see some similarities and some real concerns. Maybe it'll give you some comfort in the quality of the Explorer.
http://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-m-class-16/

Let me clarify by saying I love my explorer!! My fury earlier is when complaints are towards a vehicle and then The blame gets pointed at individuals like its their fault. Yes cup sizes are rediculous to complain about, but that's not an "issue" with the vehicle. RIvets visible on the roof, stickers on the vehicle, rain noise on the roof, plastic pieces that make horrendous noises, and whatever else is uncovered are problems!! And my ignorance about MB was not known because I never owned one and assumed they were what you paid for them.... I was trying to make an example with MB. And the sub par I referred to was sub par compared to the amount of money spent. It is obvious ford was too quick to release this vehicle before it was perfected because of wanting to just get it out there. That's the only reason I can see for not seeing all these problems on a few test drives for themselves.... I would expect all these problems on a 20,000 vehicle, not on a vehicle that cost what the average American makes in a year!!

If you and suzook bought a ML350 Mercedes Benz, would you expect it to be perfect, yes cause it's a Mercedes and that stands for quality and luxury! Well the ML350 starts at what some of us paid for our limited's, so yes some of us are going over this sub-par quality truck with a fine tooth comb to uncover the CHEAP parts that were not realized when we bought the vehicle. For instance the cheap black sticker that bubbles in the hot sun near the a pillars, or rivets that are visible insted of making it better..... So the high horse that you are on to chastise others is really a miniature pony with a jackass on top of it.... If money was no object to waste how come you didn't buy a MB or better? For some of us that aren't as fortunate as you guys this was a large investment....

Perhaps the next time you go looking to buy a new vehicle you will do your due diligence go over it with a fine tooth comb BEFORE you make the purchase. I suppose that you may never be satisfied or find your "perfect" vehicle though as virtually every make/model has it's own flaws and imperfections ......not everyone will be 100% satisfied with every little thing about their vehicle. I happen to love mine and am not interested in owning or driving a Mercedes.....I went out and took a look under the rails and actually chuckled out loud to think that some people would get so incensed about such a trivial thing especially in an area that know one sees unless they go looking or happen upon it while they are washing it.
My biggest complaint??? The interior lighting in the very back of the vehicle is too dim......OH MY GAWD!!!! Dial 911!!!! We have a major crisis on our hands!!!! The entire vehicle must be a POS!!!:D

Perhaps the next time you go looking to buy a new vehicle you will do your due diligence go over it with a fine tooth comb BEFORE you make the purchase. I suppose that you may never be satisfied or find your "perfect" vehicle though as virtually every make/model has it's own flaws and imperfections ......not everyone will be 100% satisfied with every little thing about their vehicle. I happen to love mine and am not interested in owning or driving a Mercedes.....I went out and took a look under the rails and actually chuckled out loud to think that some people would get so incensed about such a trivial thing especially in an area that know one sees unless they go looking or happen upon it while they are washing it.
My biggest complaint??? The interior lighting in the very back of the vehicle is too dim......OH MY GAWD!!!! Dial 911!!!! We have a major crisis on our hands!!!! The entire vehicle must be a POS!!!:D

+1

Peter

You never get what you pay for in a new vehicle, IMO. Buy used, let someone else take the loss. Know that you're not getting a hand-crafted Rolls Royce, even if you spend $45k. Also know that if you can't get out of the vehicle if you don't like it, you couldn't afford it in the first place. I know that's not popular and people don't like to hear it, but that is truth.

Really, that's your biggest issue?? I'm guessing you got the explorer from the future if you don't have another issues that are factual and admitted by ford. Maybe you never tried making a call in the rain or driven over 20 mph.... It's funny how everyone's a smartass or tough guy behind a computer. I've only owned a few cars in my life but all of them were 100% better quality than this model, and that includes the 2007 ex ltd I had before this, so by no means am I knocking ford altogether, just this years model that they rushed out....

You never get what you pay for in a new vehicle, IMO. Buy used, let someone else take the loss. Know that you're not getting a hand-crafted Rolls Royce, even if you spend $45k. Also know that if you can't get out of the vehicle if you don't like it, you couldn't afford it in the first place. I know that's not popular and people don't like to hear it, but that is truth.

So what you're saying is if you're not willing or can't piss away a 5K-8k loss then you can't afford the car?

.I went out and took a look under the rails and actually chuckled out loud to think that some people would get so incensed about such a trivial thing especially in an area that know one sees unless they go looking or happen upon it while they are washing it.

I havnt even looked at it yet, my incense is that people feel the need to criticize others for what they feel... Wasn't he asking if it was another oversight ford just passed through like some other things? The tread never started as a bashing

So what you're saying is if you're not willing or can't piss away a 5K-8k loss then you can't afford the car?

Actually, I would personally say that if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it. That'd really mess with peoples' sense of entitlement, though.:eek:

Ahhhh, we're dealin with a 1%er here.... Lmao just kidding

Hahaha, far from it. I'd go buy a nice new 2013 Explorer if I was, though. :D

Hahaha, far from it. I'd go buy a nice new 2013 Explorer if I was, though. :D

Na, you'd be better off with a Mercedes, I hear the explorers have a lot of bugs.... :)

Lol, I'll take an unfinished bottom of a roof rack over exploding moonroofs any day. Besides, you can't not look like a tool in a Mercedes.

Actually, I would personally say that if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it.
As you say, that is your personal belief. In reality, it is a false supposition.

Peter

More pictures.

20120304_173809.jpg

20120304_173818.jpg

20120304_173851.jpg

It is seam sealer under the paint. It is not designed for the consumer to put your nail into it.

Is the idea to some that this is not the correct way or a shoddy way to build a car?

Truth is almost every manufacturer builds cars this way, oh sure some hide it better than others. Here is another truth, every manufacturer has a web site with a blog forum on faults, problems, how to fix, TSBs and over all *****in.......Pages upon pages of some of the most respected brands an models in the world. If you are looking for reasonable perfection than go by a Hyundai, if your look for over blown pant load cars look at anything from the Chrysler family and GM

I did the research and made a careful judgement to by an American car, I liked what I saw. you can't look at 40k as an expensive auto anymore not when there are brands outside the super luxury market that are 50, 60 and almost 70k.

BTW my MFT works flawlessly, no pillar rattle or any of the other issues written about.

I don't think it's shoddy, or not correct but just going by the pics I would compare it to a bad weld job over a good weld job, both are welded, one just looks better... Personally no one will ever see it up there it's just principle. My problem is (and I know I'm wrong with this mentality) if you're going to build something build it as best you can, and there is no way this is the best ford can do. There are always going to be problems that have to be corrected (MFT, brake squeal, even the a-pillar rattle I guess) but its the decisions by some executive behind a desk to say, let's use a black sticker for around the doors, or don't worry about the rain noise on the roof just get it out for sale.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it's seam sealer, that's how it looks. I have it on my 2000, my 2007 Toyota, my other Fords, and just about every car with an external roof seam.

Could be worse- how about a Chrysler 300?

2011-chrysler-300-paint.jpg

Back