paint underneath the roof rails / rail gutter | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

paint underneath the roof rails / rail gutter

harlenm, that looks pretty normal to me. Those better pictures really help. I wouldn't be concerned about small paint variations over the sealant, as the sealant should stop any moisture intrusion.

I would think that any attempt to touch up those spots would only create a bigger issue and end up looking worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep - seam sealer

Seam sealer, weld spots - whatever you all interpret them as.. it's completely normal process for combining panels.

Granted, if the paint's peeling, then that should be covered under your warranty. But seriously, this isn't an issue from even an aesthetic standpoint.

Ford's biggest issue is MFT - this is a disaster when the system is 'pushed' even slightly (ie. connecting the iPhone, or trying to put in an address on Navigation with 25 steps... etc, etc).

Anxious for the update...

Let me clarify by saying I love my explorer!! My fury earlier is when complaints are towards a vehicle and then The blame gets pointed at individuals like its their fault. Yes cup sizes are rediculous to complain about, but that's not an "issue" with the vehicle. RIvets visible on the roof, stickers on the vehicle, rain noise on the roof, plastic pieces that make horrendous noises, and whatever else is uncovered are problems!! And my ignorance about MB was not known because I never owned one and assumed they were what you paid for them.... I was trying to make an example with MB. And the sub par I referred to was sub par compared to the amount of money spent. It is obvious ford was too quick to release this vehicle before it was perfected because of wanting to just get it out there. That's the only reason I can see for not seeing all these problems on a few test drives for themselves.... I would expect all these problems on a 20,000 vehicle, not on a vehicle that cost what the average American makes in a year!!
I agree ......... My problems surfaced weeks after I bought this truck and they continue to this day. One thing on top of another. It has less then 3,000k on it and has been in the shop two times ..... once for 3 weeks. Now I have to schedual another appointment for navigation and sync not operating. Yea, we're really asking a whole lot from this truck ........... If you consider it doesn't operate normally to begin with. This is like owning a 10 year old car .......... It hasn't even gone in for an oil change yet! :mad:

MY VW passat has some sort of plastic trim to cover along the entire length of the this roof gutter that indeed is a seam sealer. I guess FORD opted out to avoid this approximate $2.00 cost hit to their bottom line :D

Ford has a trim piece covering this area from top of the windshield to the forward foot of the luggage rack. I wonder if they had plans for said trim piece in the area of question?..

MY VW passat has some sort of plastic trim to cover along the entire length of the this roof gutter that indeed is a seam sealer. I guess FORD opted out to avoid this approximate $2.00 cost hit to their bottom line :D
Why would I want a piece of plastic installed? I can't see the seam. Doesn't offend me.

I'm just thinking back to all the other vehicles I have seen or owned over time that had trim pieces cover seams like that, and all the cracks, discoloration, missing pieces.

Sorry, but this one is a non-starter with me.

Why would I want a piece of plastic installed? I can't see the seam. Doesn't offend me.

I'm just thinking back to all the other vehicles I have seen or owned over time that had trim pieces cover seams like that, and all the cracks, discoloration, missing pieces.

Sorry, but this one is a non-starter with me.

you do realize that there already is that same plastic piece that you are against in front of the roof rails..... so if they added it to the rest of the strip you would have disliked it? that's weird

it's really not a big deal cause the rails kinda hide it, and that might have been the reason behind it.....

If you think Mercedes makes a perfect vehicle or anything closely resembling that, you are obviously unaware of the serious reliability issues they have had for the past decade or so. Take the magnifying glass over to a Mercedes dealership. You'll be shocked.

Edit: Start here for fun readings on the amazing ML. Exploding sunroofs, door locks too high, lol. I didn't even have to spend a minute there to see some similarities and some real concerns. Maybe it'll give you some comfort in the quality of the Explorer.
http://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-m-class-16/

I have posted several sites on here from BMW, Mercedes, VW, DODGE, Jeep..... Some people just don't get it though. The usual response is. I paid 40k+ for this vehicle. I say go buy a volvo then. Maybe a Durango. The only two things I can see with this are the A pillars and the MFT. Both seem to happen on all vehicles. Both are being fixed. The rest of it is just normal in any modern day vehicles. I just ignore the whiners now. I feel their pain and empathize with them. Some of them get on here and bash Ford like they are the only ones making vehicles. I think some of them are just car salesmen trying to bash a cutting edge vehicle.

I have posted several sites on here from BMW, Mercedes, VW, DODGE, Jeep..... Some people just don't get it though. The usual response is. I paid 40k+ for this vehicle. I say go buy a volvo then. Maybe a Durango. The only two things I can see with this are the A pillars and the MFT. Both seem to happen on all vehicles. Both are being fixed. The rest of it is just normal in any modern day vehicles. I just ignore the whiners now. I feel their pain and empathize with them. Some of them get on here and bash Ford like they are the only ones making vehicles. I think some of them are just car salesmen trying to bash a cutting edge vehicle.

you are a clown! I've only owned several other vehicles besides this one including the previous ex limited, and never have i experienced problems like this, so to sit here and say all you see is a-pillar and mft is an out and out falsity, and that we are just whining for the sake of whining is absurd. You are the one sounding like the car salesman trying to downplay the vehicle to sell it. The previous ex ltd had no issues, the GMC envoy i had was a new production yr also and not one issue, every corvette that is a new style has been fine, the WS6 was fine, the MKX was perfect etc..... my prev example of the MB was a bad example cause of my ignorance to what i thought was a high end "flawless" vehicle as i stated earlier.... I'll say it again, I LOVE THIS TRUCK BUT IT IS OBVIOUS FORD RELEASED IT TOO SOON WITH TOO MANY PROBLEMS SO THEY CAN GET IT OUT ON TIME...... and no one is bashing all of FORD just the 2011 ford explorer, theres a difference. Ford cars and trucks are awesome and i have relatives that work for ford. It's sickening to come to a site like this and see people abusing other people for either asking or pointing out more possible problems of your precious ford, like you are responsible for the mistakes or you own ford.... no one comes on here for your sympathy or empathy, just ideas and insight on their nice new vehicle thats broken.....

W
you are a clown! I've only owned several other vehicles besides this one including the previous ex limited, and never have i experienced problems like this, so to sit here and say all you see is a-pillar and mft is an out and out falsity, and that we are just whining for the sake of whining is absurd. You are the one sounding like the car salesman trying to downplay the vehicle to sell it. The previous ex ltd had no issues, the GMC envoy i had was a new production yr also and not one issue, every corvette that is a new style has been fine, the WS6 was fine, the MKX was perfect etc..... my prev example of the MB was a bad example cause of my ignorance to what i thought was a high end "flauwless" vehicle as i stated earlier.... I'll say it again, I LOVE THIS TRUCK BUT IT IS OBVIOUS FORD RELEASED IT TOO SOON WITH TOO MANY PROBLEMS SO THEY CAN GET IT OUT ON TIME...... and no one is bashing all of FORD just the 2011 ford explorer, theres a difference. Ford cars and trucks are awesome and i have relatives that work for ford. It's sickening to come to a site like this and see people abusing other people for either asking or pointing out more possible problems of your precious ford, like you are responsible for the mistakes or you own ford.... no one comes on here for your sympathy or empathy, just ideas and insight on their nice new vehicle thats broken.....

Wow. Good for you. Take a deep breath. Oh wait you can't cause of where your head is stuck. Yours seems to be jammed up there pretty good. No need to resort to calling people names. But I see you're from NJ. ..... As stated before....not all of them have problems. The reason most come on here is because of problems. Sooooooo...... it seems you don't understand. As for previous gens. They were ladened with problems. So your wrong again.

W

Wow. Good for you. Take a deep breath. Oh wait you can't cause of where your head is stuck. Yours seems to be jammed up there pretty good. No need to resort to calling people names. But I see you're from NJ. .....

hello my friend, you initiated the calling of whiners and "some people just don't get it though" comment insinuating people are stupid, or calling them car salesmen like it's a bad thing.... condescending comments are just as bad, but you get it back and don't like it. Some people are just tough guys on keyboards like yourself yes I'm in NJ and you're in canada, shall i bash your country now too???

I have witnessed similar happenings on Nissan, Honda, Chrysler, and Chevy forums that I visit.

It appears that the Ford Explorer takes the cake though.

yes, there will always be problems here or there and these forums are where they should be discussed. Not to demean other members for bringing up more potential issues.....

Yup thats me a tough guy behind a key board. LOL

. Some people are just tough guys on keyboards like yourself

InternetToughGuy.gif

:thumbsup: exactly!! lmao but in my head i did give you credit for a newer comp than that......

Ford has a trim piece covering this area from top of the windshield to the forward foot of the luggage rack. I wonder if they had plans for said trim piece in the area of question?..
Just to get back on track, if they filled it in then you would no longer have a 'rain gutter' such as it is. Not even sure if it actually drains.

Peter

Just to get back on track, if they filled it in then you would no longer have a 'rain gutter' such as it is. Not even sure if it actually drains.

Peter

There is no drain. I think it just collects water.

I'm over it now. Was just in a bad mood and everything was bothering me. Now I'm more concerned with the dent in my drivers door.

Mar_6_2012_850.jpg

That's strange looking. Looks like a door of another car or maybe a street hockey ball hit it. When did you notice it?

Drive slowly down your street pointing at the dent and ask each kid while glaring "who did this?" and the kid that runs away is the guilty one.

Then again, driving slowly down the road talking to kids could be a bad idea. Nevermind... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's strange looking. Looks like a door of another car or maybe a street hockey ball hit it. When did you notice it?

I'm on vacation, just noticed it yesterday. Will get it fixed when I get home. $160 for PDR.

Back