paint underneath the roof rails / rail gutter | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

paint underneath the roof rails / rail gutter

There is no drain. I think it just collects water.
This is the second day it has been 12 degrees (54 F) and I decided to wash the Ex and found out the gutter does indeed drain. It runs back and flows down the inside if the rear hatch and then disppears under the black molding attached to the rear lights and then mysteriously runs out from under the bumper. Very strange.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the second day it has been 12 degrees (54 F) and I decided to wash the Ex and found out the gutter does indeed drain. It runs back and flows down the inside if the rear hatch and then disppears under the black molding attached to the rear lights and then mysteriously runs out from under the bumper. Very strange.

Peter

Very weird.

It's just a gutter- that's where it washes off and out. Not much mystery...

It's just a gutter- that's where it washes off and out. Not much mystery...
When I saw the water running out of the channel and down the side of the hatch, which was closed, I expected it to wash down and over the bumper. That is was redirected on its way down was what I found a little strange compared to the Highlanders I used to have.
Learned something new again today.

Peter

There is no drain. I think it just collects water.

I'm over it now. Was just in a bad mood and everything was bothering me. Now I'm more concerned with the dent in my drivers door.

Mar_6_2012_850.jpg
Advanced auto parts sell a dent removal kit for $20. I just used it on my 2013 Ex (i tested it on my older car first). It worked pretty well. You need to make sure the paint/clearcoat isnt chipped tho... it'll pull the paint off. There is still some irregularity, but MUCH less noticable.

Paint bubbling on roof/rain gutter; solution?

Hi all,
I saw a previous post regarding this issue, however, there were no customer solutions discussed so thought I'd revive in this topic, as this is a new issue to me and my 1-month old 2013 Explorer XLT.

For those that did not seen that previous post, the bubbles are in the "rain gutter" above the doors, just undeneath the roof rails. They appear up to 5mm in diameter, and are rumored to be linked to bubbling "seam sealer" underneath the paint. (I will try to provide a pic in an update to this post)

My local Ford dealership has determined that they WILL NOT cover this as a warranty repair. I have yet to obtain an email or something definitive in writing, but they have verbalized that this is normal, and the word from Ford HQ is that there will be no authorized repair for these bubbles.

For those of you with new XLTs, can you please check your vehicles (need to get higher than roof line to see down into rain gutter or stand on ground and run your finger along the edge) and reply in a quick post to let me know if:

a) bubbles are present?
b) you've notified Ford for possible repair?
c) you've been accepted/rejected for warranty repair?

Any support from the forum would be very appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Trailcruncher

Hi all,
I saw a previous post regarding this issue, however, there were no customer solutions discussed so thought I'd revive in this topic, as this is a new issue to me and my 1-month old 2013 Explorer XLT.

For those that did not seen that previous post, the bubbles are in the "rain gutter" above the doors, just undeneath the roof rails. They appear up to 5mm in diameter, and are rumored to be linked to bubbling "seam sealer" underneath the paint. (I will try to provide a pic in an update to this post)

My local Ford dealership has determined that they WILL NOT cover this as a warranty repair. I have yet to obtain an email or something definitive in writing, but they have verbalized that this is normal, and the word from Ford HQ is that there will be no authorized repair for these bubbles.

For those of you with new XLTs, can you please check your vehicles (need to get higher than roof line to see down into rain gutter or stand on ground and run your finger along the edge) and reply in a quick post to let me know if:

a) bubbles are present?
b) you've notified Ford for possible repair?
c) you've been accepted/rejected for warranty repair?

Any support from the forum would be very appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Trailcruncher
This has been discussed in a couple of other threads. Are you sure they are bubbles? As far as I know, all the Explorers have this and what you see are the rivets or fasteners that have been painted over. It isn't anything to be concerned about. It isn't a defect.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes, they are bubbles, and the larger ones I can depress quite easily with my finger. If has been discussed in other forums, were customers in general agreement with Ford regarding the normalcy of this issue? Looking forward to hearing from those who've actually approached Ford and share stories re: their response.

Again, thank you very much Peter for this info, but I think you misunderstand the purpose of my post.

I'm interested if Explorer customers have approached Ford on this issue, and what was the ensuing response.

Again, thank you very much Peter for this info, but I think you misunderstand the purpose of my post.

I'm interested if Explorer customers have approached Ford on this issue, and what was the ensuing response.
I didn't read though the entire thread I listed. I was hoping the info you were looking for might be in there somewhere. If not, I'm sure someone will respond. I believe that one member had his repainted.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks. Yeah, I was surprised that with all those posts, there were none that shared an actual story/experience with Ford in regarding warranty claims. We'll see what the group says, then I'll have a better sense on how to proceed.

As Peter stated.....it's NOT a defect. The so called "bubbles" are in an area where they aren't seen by anyone unless you go looking for them or are washing the vehicle. The fact that you can depress them is most likely due to the rivets/fasteners be covered with some sort of sealant prior to painting...It's NOT a defect...they were all built this way.

Pretty poor engineering if you ask me!

^^^ I see there is another owner with an Expolrer. :D

Peter

As far as I can see, this is paint over a sealant where the panels overlap. It's in a spot that is "hidden" under the roof rails. I don't see this as a defect. They possibly could have manufactured some sort of plastic cover for the area for the ridiculously **** people that might go searching for a non-visible spot on the car that isn't smooth? But I think trying to find other explorer owners that have pushed this issue w/ the dealer is going to be hard, I don't think any other explorer owners would even notice if you weren't asking about it here.

I went out and looked at the trunk of my rental car and along the edge where the trunk closes you see unevenly painted seems, etc. I looked at the back of the bed of a truck in our parking lot, between the cab and the bed, and I see unevenly painted seams and seals. This is in an area of the vehicle that is not visible w/out intentionally seeking it out.

Thanks 13Sport. If you ever decide to take it in, let me know what Ford's official response is.

Thanks 13Sport. If you ever decide to take it in, let me know what Ford's official response is.

lol, I don't even have my new explorer yet, and I never would have taken my 2011 in for this, I don't consider it a defect, what part of my explanation above didn't reflect that? I sued Ford over real problems with my Explorer, I think that an uneven surface buried in a non-visible crack on the roof of the car is a little overboard when it comes to quality concerns about your vehicle. Like the dealership told you, it is as it was designed, there's no warranty concern there.

My local Ford dealership has determined that they WILL NOT cover this as a warranty repair.

They determined this correctly. Every Ex has this, including mine...it is by design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In July I was inspecting the roof of my 2011 Explorer for hail damage. Fortunately, no hail damage was found, but I did notice these bubbles under the roof rails. When I took the Explorer in for it's next oil change I showed these bubbles to the service manager. After inspecting both roof rail channels, he said "that's not normal." The dealership provided me a rental and keep the Explorer for 11 days. According to the service order for that visit the Explorer went to the dealers collision center where they "repaired bubbling seam". The roof rail channels no longer feel "spongy". There remains a bump or two along the channel but the repairman from the body shop said that was a seam. Before they repaired it you could push down into the paint all along the channel. Now it feels hard and smooth. The statement on the service order for this repair says "SEALER-PREP-REFINISH-CLEARCOAT ROOF PANEL-APPROVAL'.

Back