Painted Center Console and Radio Bezel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Center Console and Radio Bezel

F15E_WSO

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
Had annoying squeak in center console so when I finally got the console out (Big Thanks to ncranchero) elected to paint the console and radio bezel black. Motivated by postive results from others and new look it would give the truck. When spring comes will do some door trim and other plastic bits as well as this is some easy work.

EZ job once I had the console out. Used Krylon fusion left over from the exterior tupperware job. Had more flat than satin so laid down initial coat with flat, let dry 15-20 minutes then second coat was satin. Dried 1.5 hours and gingerly put it back in the truck.

Was easier to unscrew the 4x4 and Rear wiper/controls than worrying about masking them. Gently put everything back, got a big thanks from my son (it's his truck) and done for now.

Did want to do the silver bezel around the instruments but it is attached to the vinyl part of the dash, removed the top three screws in the instrument cluster but the silver bezel did not pop out. Would love to paint it black but looks like the whole piece must come out and over the steering column to remove. Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone painted that piece?

Attachments

• A Before.jpg
    A Before.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4,204
  • A after.jpg
    A after.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 3,807
  • C Before.jpg
    C Before.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 4,916
  • C After 2.jpg
    C After 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 4,021

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bezel Prep

Here is the radio bezel taped off and prepped for painting. Std blue masking tape. Of note is that there is clear plastic melted to the bezel, this clear plastic acts as a conduit for the lights to illuminate the 4x4 and Rear wipers during night driving. I could have protected these better with tape but ended up removing the paint afterwards with a q-tip and goof-off. Either way will work.

I also stuffed some paper towel into the cigarette lighter so paint wouldn't ruin the contacts.

Attachments

• bezel pre-paint.jpg
    bezel pre-paint.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 3,600
  • bezel back.jpg
    bezel back.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 3,237

Looks really good. :thumbsup: I plan on doing mine this spring. Be sure to let us know how it holds up.

That silver bezel and console actually looks pretty cool didn't know they came in that color. Good work on the paint job man.

Keeper,
the silver is fine but the black really makes the gold exterior and tan "pop". Also the fresh paint freshens the look and there were a couple of scratches that I made disappear with the fresh paint as well. My son likes the effect and I think we keep going more and more towards black and gold. Maybe he'll become a US Army Golden Knight! I think their colors are gold and black.

I can see what you mean about pop, Looks great.:thumbsup:

should have just traded someone. people are always looking for the silver ones...but I guess they could just paint there too:D

I just got an 01 Ranger, so it's the same type of interior....

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the tiny vent is to the right of the radio??

My best guess is ventilation FOR the radio?

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the tiny vent is to the right of the radio??

That's a good question! I don't know what it is either but having been in the dash yesterday there is plenty of room in there for circulation of air, I don't think that is its purpose. Will be interested to know the answer. You may not find it here and may need to start a thread on that subject.

Spy cam.........

Pulled elsewhere; http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/22305-why-do-some-rangers-have-vents-radio-bezel-others-dont.html

"I believe I read where the Expo & Ranger dashes are basically the same... the Expo's have a sensor behind there for the auto climate controls & the Rangers have nothing."

Others on the site thought it was a climate control thing as well....good enough for me.

Yep- climate control if equipped with the EATC. If not, it's just open behind...

The silver against the tan does look a little washed out. The black looks great...I like the contrast between the silver radio and black bezel too.

That little vent is the inlet to a sensor the eatc's use to determine cooling demands. I saw on some website eatc conversion instructions, and when the author mentioned it, I was like" ohhhhhh, so its actually not a useless little vent" haha its nice that they all have them, in case you don't have an eatc but want one.

Got this painted... I think the flash from my phone makes the color look a little off... Maybe I'll change the color... but it's better than the peeling silver that was on there..

photo.jpg

Love the black and tan!! Nice work. My mom has the silver in her sport track also but I like the black and tan look I have in my sport as well :)

F15E_WSO, I was wondering if we can get an update on how the paint job is holding up? :dunno:

Back