Painted Grill!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Grill!!!

hey everyone. finally had time to paint my grill body color over thanksgiving break. cant tell too well from these pics, but for now its all ive got. before: Dead Link Removed

and here is after: Dead Link Removed

enjoy!! there are more pics on my website under the exterior section.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah, i also got clear bulbs in the clear corners. i now have power in those driving lights too, but you cant tell that from the pic ;)

I'd have to see it in daylight to be sure, but IMO it would look better with the entire thing painted. But whatever floats yer boat man, looks good if that's how you want it ;) !

yeah, i was considering doing that, but after getting a few opinions i decided it'd be better with just the middle part done. im definatly not dissapointed with the results, and if i had done the chrome too, id have to had taken it off :p

Dude I'm liking the way it looks. I'm kind of getting tired of my grille guard and I was going to get a safari bar, but realized that I had to drill two holes in my bumper to secure my grille guard. Looks like I'm keeping it.

I like it... but I agree with Alec. I think the whole thing would've looked better painted. Taking the entire thing off isn't really that hard IMO. Check the pics in my sig of how I did the grille inserts. I took the whole damn thing off!

But I do give ya props on that. That's really cool!:cool:

thanks for the feedback, guys. mike: when are you going to ditch those pin stripes? :p it looks sooo clean without them! seriously, i think youd be happy with the results.

I know. I want to get rid of them. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Just heat them up and peel them off right?

check out my write-up on relocating the hood release so you don't have to have that hole in your mesh?

btw- that looks great! i love the lower insert.

yup, just peel them off. expo 5.0: where is youre write up? i read it before, but was unclear on how to do it. i would like to though. glad you like it

i think its like "hook latch fix" or something or its really easy to find at midwest-xplorers.com in the how to section of the forum.

cool, thanks

Looks great.......helped me make up my mind. What did you use to paint your grill (spray paint)? Look at my website.....you can see how my grill looks.....I think now Im going to paint the gray in my grill white!

glad i could help you decide, i think that'll look cool. i used the stuff they carry at walmart. it comes in regular spray cans, but is matched to factory car colors. i dont know the brand, but i can go check it out for you if you need it.

Cool I will go get some of that paint. A few questions:

How many cans did you use?
How did you prepare the grill to paint?
Did you put anything over the paint? (clearcoat, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

i didnt even use a whole can and i did 4 coats. i also did 4 coats of clear. the clear was right next to the colored paint when i got it, so i figured i ought to do some clear too. as for prep, i just cleaned it and used a light spray primer. you might want to sand...

your grill looks great. i did mine the way i wanted it so check it out. tell me what you think!!!!My Grill

well i took the grill off as well as the sides. sanded with light grit then wet sanded. i taped all the areas that i didnt want to paint, then painted it. i used oxford white which is the same color as my truck. dupli color makes most of the popular colors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn I like that.... I want to do that to mine, cause I like the monocolor thing, like the sport Ex's have. Cause I'm goin for the sport/offroad look kinda thing. I might just have to do that over break.... Did you clearcoat at all?

Back