• Register Today It's free!

Painting my Trim

dkalleck

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I decided that the gray trim on my explorer was pretty generic. So, i decided to pull the trim and paint it. Looking to do the same color (black). Though, i'm going to check the paint code to match it up.
I'll upload some pics of the work i did today: removing the trim.
The bumpers are going to be the hard part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet

Yeah, i just bought the paint. Some gloss black. I just have to find somewhere to do it since i live in an apartment.

Hold up

Painting was postponed for a little while. Bumped into a Nissan and my front bumper bent. So, i took some pics of the brackets. You can see the difference easily.
p_00141-1.jpg

Here's the my truck minus trim and front bumper.
prepwork.jpg

Hopefully with the extra day off this weekend i'll finish it up.
:thumbsup:

nice sport

Painting was postponed for a little while. Bumped into a Nissan and my front bumper bent. So, i took some pics of the brackets. You can see the difference easily.
p_00141-1.jpg

Ouch. I did the same thing when I first got my Explorer, except I hit someone else's car :D... I just took off the bumper and brackets like you did and got out the BFH (Big F*ckin' Hammer for those that don't know) and knocked the crap out of the brackets until they were straight. Put it all back together and you couldn't even tell anything happened. Have fun...

Ouch. I did the same thing when I first got my Explorer, except I hit someone else's car :D... I just took off the bumper and brackets like you did and got out the BFH (Big F*ckin' Hammer for those that don't know) and knocked the crap out of the brackets until they were straight. Put it all back together and you couldn't even tell anything happened. Have fun...

Luckily my insurance company cut me a check so i could buy the new bumper and brackets. It saved me the trouble of painting the bumper.

ya i panted mine to. the plastic was like a skin tone and the body red. so took it all off and panted them all black using that krylon paint for plastic. now the x looks great with black trim and red body

Luckily my insurance company cut me a check so i could buy the new bumper and brackets. It saved me the trouble of painting the bumper.

So did mine :biggthump I just kept the money since you couldn't even tell there was damage after I fixed it.

pics

UPDATE!!!!
Here is the new pre-painted bumper, installed, minus trim.
CSC_4742.jpg

Thought it would be neat to spray my tail pipe with truck bed liner
CSC_4745.jpg

Trim drying on my porch. Luckily it was a low wind/dust day.
SSC_4736.jpg

Rear fender flares sanded
SSC_4739.jpg

Bumper trim and valance. Sprayed the valance with truck bed liner.
SSC_4740.jpg

Rear bumper painted
SSC_4741.jpg

Rear cover and step prepped. I sprayed it down with truck bed liner after the pic.
CSC_4747.jpg

So shiny, but no clear coat yet
SSC_4746.jpg

Everything is clear coated now. Just waiting till the weekend to polish it up and bring out the gloss.

i thinkin about painting my bumper to. the same thing happend to my front bumper brackets but i hit a fire hydrent when i was driving threw tall grass... lol

i thinkin about painting my bumper to. the same thing happend to my front bumper brackets but i hit a fire hydrent when i was driving threw tall grass... lol

going all black? i think that would look pretty rockin' with the forest green

ive wanted to do this for a long time. i think i might soon. im also gonna black out the tail lights and front windows to match the back, and black american racing rims with 31s and a 2 inch lift. its gonna be sick!

yeah black and green is what im goin for. did u sand the crome on ur back bumper or just spray it?

ive wanted to do this for a long time. i think i might soon. im also gonna black out the tail lights and front windows to match the back, and black american racing rims with 31s and a 2 inch lift. its gonna be sick!

That'd be pretty sweet. I've been looking for taillights. Haven't decided if i want to put the effort into blacking them out. I kind of want a more flush design also.

yeah black and green is what im goin for. did u sand the crome on ur back bumper or just spray it?

My rear bumper wasn't chrome. It was already painted gray. I wet sanded everything with 400 grit. 2 or 3 coats of Krylon Fusion gloss black. 2 coats of clear coat.

Now i just have to polish the trim to bring out some shine and wax the car.

looks great! Just curious, you did the valence in bed liner and the rest in black spray paint? how many cans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks great! Just curious, you did the valence in bed liner and the rest in black spray paint? how many cans?

4 or 5 of black, about 3 clear coat, and two bed liner.

Back