• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake issues... again

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
My apologies for the rather harsh title, I'm tired of trying to fix this to no avail. I've been fighting it for 8 months now.
I drive and the drivers side rear brake gets hot as hell, I've warped two brand new drums to the point of being unusable.
Its the parking brake dragging... and I have no idea why.
Please don't mention adjusting the star adjuster, I've done just about everything possible to it. I can get the other side to work beautifully. This side is proving to be a test.
Things I've tried:
- Releasing mechanism in the pedal to release cable tension
- new (stronger) spring to return cables back
- brand new brakes... all of it replaced
- checked everything 10 times to insure proper installation.
Everything is assembled correctly. What is going on? Is there adjusters for each individual side?
On second thought, perhaps I will just end up removing the parking brake levers on that side and be done with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol there is adjusters on both sides... It's actually could be front brakes not contacting soon enough...yea I replaced the rear brakes but I've been told the front balances out the rear... Hydraulic pressure is a ***** there's 1 line pretty sure goes to the rear then 1 on each front... Pretty sure..never replace pads on just 1 wheel... Also I never ever do just rears its dangerous just fronts is ok or all 4
16064524153706667373772797927438.jpg
1606452475136366551342793823397.jpg

16064525316606387099875065159310.jpg

I would rather rebuild a Ferrari engine....lol anyways yea I hope u didn't just do 1 or just do rear.... Not trying to mention the stars but...there self adjusting put on e brake as hard as u can like slam on it...in reverse 5x. It adjusts under this random condition idk why...dumb

16064522842317884402823149946517.jpg

Are the e brake cables in good shape?
Is this truck an automatic or stick?

Yes and its a 5 speed swap... come to think about it my issues started when I did the swap.

I woke up more level headed this morning, updated the title of this thread to something a little more mature, and went outside to disable the parking brake on that wheel. 1991 sploder, I will look through the stuff you said tomorrow, I have a 300 mile round trip today, and I have no time to work on it, and I dont need the risk of it malfunctioning while away from home, so I just disabled the parking brake on that wheel.
I will work on it tomorrow, see you all then 😁

This ^^^
If everything has been gone through on the pedal side. And everything has been gone through on the drum side. That might point to the cables being the culprit. It’s at least worth a test.

Just updating the thread, I'm selling my explorer, so the next sucker in line (my brother) can f*ck with it now haha

Back