7/11/08 Liberty and the persuit of happiness through camping & wheeling | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

7/11/08 Liberty and the persuit of happiness through camping & wheeling

Of course my truck is in most of the pics

:p:

SnowExploder, Diff Whack Daddy and Albino94LTD at the beginning of the lower 319

The only mud hole on that trail. :thumbsup:Kevin tried to sling some mud on Painter Ken:D but the hole was too small:rolleyes:

Hey Kevin, whatcha doin down there?????:nono::bsnicker::dunno:

Attachments

• IMG_1612-1.jpg
    IMG_1612-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1613-1.jpg
    IMG_1613-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1614-2.jpg
    IMG_1614-2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 245

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the real story behind the cut over the eye is really pretty dull, but funny. Stacy was on the opposite side of the camfire minding her own business and being way too quite, so I LOBBED a small rock at her and hit her on the foot, I think.

She proceeds to fastball rocks back at me which at first was kinda scary, but then I realized, she's a girl, and throws like one too. Couldn't hit the ground if she fell out of a plane, so I relaxed and started egging her on. Little did I know that she would eventually get in that one lucky shot:eek:, I think she closed her eyes:eek: Next thing I know, pop:confused:

She didn't stop there though, later on, she chucked another and comitted the ultimate:nono: SHE HIT MY BEER!!:fire: I proceeded to run acros to her and knocked her down "gently" backwards out of her chair. After my point was made, and being the gentleman that I am, as I went to upright her and her chair. However, I felt a little resistance and a tugging under my right foot. Turns out I was standing on her hair as I was trying to lift her:dunno::bsnicker:

Never a dull moment at the camfire :D

We're getting ahead of ourselves here, there was way more wheeling before saturday night serenades (it was really Sunday morning serenades).

Anyway that'l be it for tonite, got to keep the suspense up:p:

test

test
2082664640103594426S600x600Q85.jpg

Okay, Here's how you save pics from the webshots website. It's a little labor intensive, but it saves me time from resizing all the pics. If you want high res pics, PM me the pic numbers and an e-mail addy.

1. Select the picture from thumbnail to the larger view.
2. On the right, select "link to it" in the flesh colored pane (Couldn't thinjk of a better color for it)
3. Select the 600 tab at the top of the pane with the thumbnail in it.
4. Copy the "direct link to image"
5. Paste the link into a new internet explorer window.
6. Right click and save as

As always, a great write up!
Sorry I bailed on Saturday afternoon... As I mentioned the de-beading of the tire and the steep hill combined with the bug bites made for a grumpy Katie.
But I DID enjoying hanging with everyone, we have a good group. :thumbsup:
I probably wont get my few pics up till next week, we're leaving for W.E. Rock tomorrow.

gay well the i ended up at the hospital last night cause i was starting to get reallly bad pains from what i thought were misquto bights and well i was wrong they think there shingles

Phil- I am looking for the video I have somewhere on a driving technique that will help get you through some of those spots.

Here it is, it is even a white 4 door wagon
th_wildmancanopener.jpg

Phil- I am looking for the video I have somewhere on a driving technique that will help get you through some of those spots.

How did I know the skinny pedal was going to be the feature tool??:rolleyes:

Remember I gotta tow the trailer home, not get towed ON the trailer:p:

ok so i got a box today from guess who :) mile marker dang they sent me alot of stuff lol they sent me 2 hats 1 shirt about 20 stickers one huge like flag/shop poster of the :troops: outfiting the hummers with them:thumbsup:

Ok so i figured out how i am going to install my gas tank :)

Ok so i figured out how i am going to install my gas tank :)

Do we want to know??

I'll try to finish this story this weekend after I cull through Kevin's pictures.

lol well yes you will want to know, but i'm not gonna give it away till im finished it will be the stock gas tank and almost stock location but just a few pounds lighter and a few windows less :) thats all i will say

lol well yes you will want to know, but i'm not gonna give it away till im finished it will be the stock gas tank and almost stock location but just a few pounds lighter and a few windows less :) thats all i will say
Ahhhh, I see. A ghetto fuel cell:D:thumbsup:

so i need some encoragement if i could chop the top put a roll cage and get my gas tank mounted all in one pass should i do it :) lol
l_bd1545ee4409f852b7f1bb2c3dfdf3b1.jpg
l_a8817580a5be65ddffd8f4edb6439b9c.jpg

i'm prob gonna do it anyways i just wanna know what you all think on the design and i have not for sure nailed the roll cage desing yet i'm still designing it o and my old ranger tail gate will work perfectly and no not getto just a little bit higher than stock location 8 inches below floor board and 6 inches above and i will order roll over check valve for the vent :D:thumbsup:

What the...?

Hey -

Was incommunicado (no internet) for a few days, but thought there be some more write-up and pics once getting back to Tacoma - - what gives?

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:rolleyes:Sorry man, I spend all week in this cave so when the weekend comes:rolleyes:

Anyway, where did I leave off?

SO, back at camp, Katie decides Nimby doesn't like the hills with his present gearing and she is tired of the skeeters so they opt out of the rest of the day.

The rest of us head back up to the trail heads and turn left this time. It's probably a good thing Nimby didn't continue cause it was a solid 1/2 mile of steep up hill to the top of the cliff. We rested and paid our respects, threw some rocks off the edge. They took a good 5-6 seconds to finally hit the bottom. Kinda makes you wonder what those kids were thinking about during the time they were falling.

Back in the rigs and time for the real fun. Another 1/2 mile of tight trail and we hit the bottom of the ledge. Having been there before, from the other direction, I stopped to evaluate the options. Walking was hard enough, I had a hard time imagining driving up. More trees to weave through, many flexy bumps (bump on one side, hole on the other), then there was a spot that, if you were on level ground, it would be a 3ft verticle wall. I really didn't think I had enough approach angle to get up it without leaving the air dam on the trail.

The alternate wasn't very attractive either. Last time we lowered several rigs, including myself, down a very steep and very loose hill but it was straight down with a very short run out at the bottom. The middle option was good for a while but then went off camber really bad and it would be a 150ft roll to the bottom.

I was going to try the straight up alternate after a few rigs got up and could provide an anchor point.

First one up was Kevin and as expected, he didn't have any problems and showed a viable line. Next was Painter Ken, again no real problems. I thought Keith was going to try the straight up bypass with me but they talked him into trying the ledge too. As you can see, that monster walked up it too.

Decision time;

Do I try the toughest section I've ever tried or do I wimp out, at this point the bypass was just as dangerous since I would be the first but 3 had already successfully climbed the ledge and I knew the adrenelin rush that lay ahead.

The video tells all. I'm really glad I rebuilt the clutches in the rear:D There was no slip all day long.

A quick gulp of nice cold beer, thanks Keith, and we talked about what to do next.

Oh sorry, Ryan was the last one to come up, again no problemo.

So the discussion was wether to look for more trails or try to make it to Lion Rock. That was a long way and it was already mid afternoon. I estimated we'd be back at camp around 7-8 if we did but it would be a shame to have made the trip without going up there. Lion Rock it was. we have plenty of food and drinks.

Back in the trucks for LOTS of tight twisty tree weaving. Several little gullies with short steep climbs out of them. At the crest, there were several times I had to stop, open the door and stand on the running boards to see where the trail went. It is so tight you couldn't see any opening in the trees.

There were a couple squeezes I didn't think the full width axels would get through. In fact, there was one (my mirrors cleared by 2") that I heard Ketih was like the T-Rex in Jurasic Park. "Keith's coming, can't you see the trees bending apart?"

The trail was decieving, it looked pretty flat in many locations but if you tried to go more than 5mph, you were bouncing back and forth due to the baby head and melon sized rocks. Did I mention the dust?? and I was in front.:eek:

Finally we pop out on the top of the ridge onto the service roads. The meadows were in full bloom and absolutely georgous.

On to Lion Rock for the views. I can't believe I didn't get more pictures from there. You can get there via service roads and there are several camp areas. It's strange to drive up the 4x4 trails and then see motor homes at the top:confused: (you can look for the first trip report for more pics)

Kevin and I pour over the maps to figure out the quickest way back to camp and we haven't seen the sandstone pinnacles yet.

Forest service roads here we come.

About 1/2 way down he rounds a corner and there they are!! we regroup and check them out. It's interesting to go from basalt (Lion Rock) and a mile away, sandstone (Hole in the Rock).

Finally back in the rigs headed for camp and dinner. Back at camp, I hook up a projector (the kind you hook up to a laptop for a meeting) and Ryan plugs in his camera. Kevin breaks out the last clean sheet (he packed it especially for this trip) and they hang it off the awing of Keith's motor home.

We watched the videos of the ledge several times. I didn't have a specific video cable so we couldn't put in a movie, we just re-ran the wheeling over and over.

That's it for now, I'll get to the singing a little later.

Attachments

• IMG_1617-1.jpg
    IMG_1617-1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1621-1.jpg
    IMG_1621-1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1628-1.jpg
    IMG_1628-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1635-1.jpg
    IMG_1635-1.jpg