• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake stuck

ImpactF0nt

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
My parking brake is having problems, I don't really know what to say about this, all I know is that when I attempt to push down the parking brake pedal, it won't budge, its completely disengaged. I pulled the release lever and it pulls, but no movement in the brake pedal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like something's seized from not being used. I'd start by pulling on the cable under the driver seat and see if anything's stuck. Next would be removing the rubber caps on the inboard sides of both dust shields and inspecting for corrosion. End fix usually involves removing the rotors and replacing all the rusted parts in the parking brake system. Remember to chock all the wheels and release the parking brake before attempting to remove the rotors. Often times
the star adjusters need to be tightened to retract the shoes from the rotor hat, if they can be moved at all.

Yep...sounds like it hasn't been used and the cable/linkage is now seized. Where I come from (Rust Belt), the credo is "if you don't use it on a regular basis, don't use it at all". Because sure as hell, if you were to be able to force that pedal down, you'd never get it to retract and then you'd have an undriveable truck until all the cables/linkage were serviced or replaced.

Yeah, I bought the car from my uncle, with over 200,000 miles on it. It's a good car, but I guess they never used the PB.

Go on YouTube look up 1Aauto, they have a video that will help you. It is specifically for the truck you have.

I've been driving cars/trucks for 45 + yrs and could probably count on two hands the number of times I've used the PB. Then again, the terrain in my part of the country is pretty flat and almost never have to park on a hill. I'm certainly not advocating not using PB's...just a bad habit learned early in my life out of necessity to avoid the dreaded seized parking brake. You can also be sure I'm extremely careful and aware when I'm jacking up my cars to work on them because of my not using the PB's (always have one driven wheel on the ground at any given time).

Thank you! :)

Back