Parts - RockAuto Return Policy Warning! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parts - RockAuto Return Policy Warning!

kabennett

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
TLDR version: After 30 days, RockAuto's mistakes become your problem.

Been a member since 2009, and somehow this is my first post! Generally don't say much unless I think it would help others. A recent mistake cost me about $200, hope to help others avoid that:

Looks like lots of others here also purchase from RockAuto. Have had great luck with them, and you can't argue with their prices. EXCEPT: on my last (very large) order they sent me some incorrect parts - a control arm and two front rotors were wrong, even though the catalog listed them as correct. It was a big project, and I was outside the 30-day return window before I was able to get to the project (finally had a local shop do it).

Here's the rub: they refused to refund them, even though it was their mistake. I even offered to take a restocking fee. They suggested I should have checked them for fit right away (right, because it takes just a minute to check to see if a rotor fits the hub or control arm fits!). I sent multiple follow-up emails just to be sure they understood the situation. Got 3 different responses, all basically telling me to pound sand. Had to buy the correct ones locally, and have some expensive paper-weights as a result.

Something to keep in mind if you are ordering from RockAuto, and don't always have time to get right to work to see if they sent you the parts they told you were correct. I don't always have that time, so will be sourcing parts locally or from Amazon vendors in the future (Amazon policy forces vendors to correct mistakes on their end. Others may as well).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really sure why you posted this. I believe the rockauto website states they have a 30 day return policy.

Your thought is misleading. If you buy a part with a 30 day return and do not use it within that window then you should be warning others to use the parts within 30 days, rather than to warn against buying from rockauto.

Yeah, I have been mad at myself also. It hurts worse when I put the blame where it belongs.

Take it for what you will. If you re-read you'll see I didn't warn against buying from RockAuto, only buying from them if you might not have time to use within 30 days. I posted it because I would have found the info helpful, and imagine that others will as well. If you don't, fine - move along, and take your condescending tone with you.

Maybe you just don't want to offend a sponsor? In terms of blame, they sent the wrong parts and I didn't verify them within 30 days. You want to point out where I've incorrectly assigned blame?

In response. Yes you do point your finger when you title a thread with a supplier name followed by warning.
Take it for what you will. If you re-read you'll see I didn't warn against buying from RockAuto, only buying from them if you might not have time to use within 30 days.
Common sense would tell me I better use this part, or at least check it for fitment before the return policy cancels. (yeah, I have some mistakes in my garage also);)
TLDR version: After 30 days, RockAuto's mistakes become your problem.

Been a member since 2009, and somehow this is my first post! Generally don't say much unless I think it would help others. A recent mistake cost me about $200, hope to help others avoid that:

Looks like lots of others here also purchase from RockAuto. Have had great luck with them, and you can't argue with their prices. EXCEPT: on my last (very large) order they sent me some incorrect parts - a control arm and two front rotors were wrong, even though the catalog listed them as correct. It was a big project, and I was outside the 30-day return window before I was able to get to the project (finally had a local shop do it).

Here's the rub: they refused to refund them, even though it was their mistake. I even offered to take a restocking fee. They suggested I should have checked them for fit right away (right, because it takes just a minute to check to see if a rotor fits the hub or control arm fits!). I sent multiple follow-up emails just to be sure they understood the situation. Got 3 different responses, all basically telling me to pound sand. Had to buy the correct ones locally, and have some expensive paper-weights as a result.

Something to keep in mind if you are ordering from RockAuto, and don't always have time to get right to work to see if they sent you the parts they told you were correct. I don't always have that time, so will be sourcing parts locally or from Amazon vendors in the future (Amazon policy forces vendors to correct mistakes on their end. Others may as well).
So, I ask again what is the purpose of this thread other than to make rockauto look bad for not giving you special consideration, which is what you actually asked for by "explaining my situation"

I just ordered from RockAuto and it was a great experience. Will buy more from them.

When you buy you agree to terms that are stated from them. Plan and buy when you need and not months before or get the parts our an check them right away.

I will point out the fact I also "prefer" to order from Amazon if possible. For me it is a lot easier in both finding the part, and ordering.

So we do actually agree.
But since I like Chocolate doesn't make vanilla bad. :D

I think the OP is pointing out something a lot of people didn't know. I don't pay attention to refund policies, so I had no idea rock auto won't take returns after 30 days. I don't buy much from them but now I know to not order from them if I'm not going to be using the part right away.
So thanks! :)

Thanks OP, I find this info useful because this has come close to happening to me.

Luckily if you ARE within the window they're very good with their return policy. One time I was ordering control arm bushings and I misread and ordered individuals instead of the much less expensive option of ordering them as pairs, and they offered to take it back and send me the others. Instead I just bit the bullet and bought the two bushings I had mistaken to order the first time because I was ready to get my mustang driving again. Was only a 40 dollar mistake though, I believe.

I will point out the fact I also "prefer" to order from Amazon if possible. For me it is a lot easier in both finding the part, and ordering. :D
+1 Amazon. Their usually free Super Saver shipping and no sales tax to Hawaii is the deal breaker for me. RockAuto is hard to beat for selection, prices, service, and accuracy, although I usually "cheat" by using their fitment guides and pics as opposed to Amazon's, which are more often than not wrong. ;)

Suddenly I am reminded of an older episode of South Park.

Since others feel the same as the OP how about the new thread title? Does that sound like a fair representation?

I did this once. I bought a whole pile of stuff from Victoria British (LMC Truck for Triumphs) and didn't get to the job for 6 months. One of the new brake lines I bought had a crack in the casing down to the inner lining. I figured I had to eat it because it was a bad one on my part. That said, I try to avoid VB at all cost because IMHO their parts are inferior.

i have ordered from rock auto probably about 15 times in the last 3 years and have never had a problem with them. even when sending cores back.

In response. Yes you do point your finger when you title a thread with a supplier name followed by warning.

You seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. I'll help you.

"Parts - Rock Auto - Warning". There is nothing in that warning against buying from Rock Auto. The warning - which you need to read the rest to learn - is regarding paying attention to the return policy. It's very clear, you just have to read the post.

Common sense would tell me I better use this part, or at least check it for fitment before the return policy cancels. (yeah, I have some mistakes in my garage also);)

Again, if you reeeeaaaadddd you'll see the issue was time. Not sure how to explain that one to you any more clearly. Ask the nearest 6-year-old. They'll help you.

So, I ask again what is the purpose of this thread other than to make rockauto look bad for not giving you special consideration, which is what you actually asked for by "explaining my situation"

The purpose - as others with better comprehension skills than you have pointed out - was to alert others to a risk they may not have been aware of. They could have a 30 second return policy, or a 3 year policy. The point was simply to highlight it. What I didn't say before but will say now is this: Given that the mistake was theirs, it would not have been unreasonable to make an exception, especially given the size of the order (about $2k) vs the cost to them of taking the $200 in new, unused parts back. Others - such as Amazon - would have done so. At the end of the day it's a dumb move on their part - I won't order from them again, and that lost business alone outweighs the loss. But, as has been made clear, that wasn't the point of the post, and no blame was assigned. But that was what you really wanted, so now you have it.

Your thought is misleading. If you buy a part with a 30 day return and do not use it within that window then you should be warning others to use the parts within 30 days, rather than to warn against buying from rockauto.

I see that you struggle with writing as well. It wasn't a "thought" it was a statement, and "misleading" isn't the way to describe something that you simply disagree with. Don't worry, keep trying - you'll get it next time.

Do you find all this annoying? Because that's what it's like reading your posts. You jumped all over this insisting that it was all wrong, only to have my point reinforced for me by others. Next time try a different, less obnoxious approach. Attitudes like yours do not foster community, and ultimately they drive eyeballs away from sites like these, and ad revenue with them. As a moderator you should understand that.

Ok, go ahead with the last word now. You know you can't help yourself. Or just delete the thread entirely? That'll really show me who's boss.

dude, not only am i seeing total lack of respect to one of the MODERATORS of this site (and a very helpful one i may add) BUT another thing you have also overlooked is that rockauto's return policy is the same of most other parts places i have used. can i also add is it your fault that you got the wrong parts? no. however, is it their fault that you didnt use them within their return policy's date, or didnt notice them to be the wrong ones within their return policy's date? no. you making this thread is the same as you complaining to a coffee shop that you bought coffee from them, let it sit for a hour before you took a sip, and wanted your money back because by the time you got to it, it was cold.

No, the customer is NOT always right, although you may have been led to believe it. :mad:

dude, not only am i seeing total lack of respect to one of the MODERATORS of this site (and a very helpful one i may add) BUT another thing you have also overlooked is that rockauto's return policy is the same of most other parts places i have used. can i also add is it your fault that you got the wrong parts? no. however, is it their fault that you didnt use them within their return policy's date, or didnt notice them to be the wrong ones within their return policy's date? no. you making this thread is the same as you complaining to a coffee shop that you bought coffee from them, let it sit for a hour before you took a sip, and wanted your money back because by the time you got to it, it was cold.

I think you mean to say they gave him the wrong flavor....
Not sure why y'all are pissed at the OP. Nor do I get why the OP is being a bit of an ass.
Are y'all sleepin with rock auto?

I see both sides of this but think both are talking right past each other.

If, as I assume is correct, kabennet is simply trying to make forum members aware of Rock Auto's return policy if they already aren't. No harm there.

On the other hand, not knowing the return policy is the buyer's fault, imo, but I can see how many just click past the details. The post does kind of read as a complaint as a result.

Just as the OP, I would hope that RockAuto would return the items, especially considering it would likely result in an equal valued purchase of the correct parts, but I would also realize I was at fault as the consumer and not truly expect them to vary from their policy except at their convenience.

Post was helpful yes, but the title could be misleading. I've had parts show up that were correct but were damaged from shipment, rockauto turned right around and sent me the correct part rush shipment and didn't bat an eye.

A more general message from your experience might have been worth thinking about, more like...

"Just an fyi there is a 30 day window you have to swap parts out with rockauto, I didn't realize it and they're damn strict about it (tried three different times to work something else out). They had sent me the incorrect parts for a project I'm working on even though the catalog was correct and I didn't get the chance to check them right away. At this point I'm stuck with 200 bucks worth of parts that I can't use because I didn't check them when I got them (my bad...). So just an fyi for everyone else!"

Just my two cents

dude, not only am i seeing total lack of respect to one of the MODERATORS of this site (and a very helpful one i may add)

Not sure how carefully you read the entire thread, but the nuance may be a bit easy to lose. Said moderator jumped down my throat, arguing that the post was irrelevant. As evidenced by the rest of the thread, that wasn't true, and I didn't appreciate his condescending attitude. I could be reading something that isn't there, and if so I apologize - to Turdle and to all reading.

BUT another thing you have also overlooked is that rockauto's return policy is the same of most other parts places i have used.
Nope, didn't overlook that. Already mentioned it.

you making this thread is the same as you complaining to a coffee shop that you bought coffee from them, let it sit for a hour before you took a sip, and wanted your money back because by the time you got to it, it was cold.
That's not an accurate analogy. It would be accurate like this: I go to a coffee shop, order coffee, let it sit for an hour before I take a sip, then want to return it because I've discovered it's not coffee, it's tea. I'm not returning it because it's cold, but rather because it is tea instead of coffee. I'd just like my coffee. Still, wasn't the point of the original post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post was helpful yes, but the title could be misleading. I've had parts show up that were correct but were damaged from shipment, rockauto turned right around and sent me the correct part rush shipment and didn't bat an eye.

A more general message from your experience might have been worth thinking about, more like...

"Just an fyi there is a 30 day window you have to swap parts out with rockauto, I didn't realize it and they're damn strict about it (tried three different times to work something else out). They had sent me the incorrect parts for a project I'm working on even though the catalog was correct and I didn't get the chance to check them right away. At this point I'm stuck with 200 bucks worth of parts that I can't use because I didn't check them when I got them (my bad...). So just an fyi for everyone else!"

Just my two cents

Yes, agreed. Better than what I wrote. Definitely.

Back