PATS reset? 1998 Explorer V8 - Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS reset? 1998 Explorer V8 - Help?

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
This is a different Explorer (98) than my 99 that I had another thread about, with a similar issue.

No fuel on a 98 V8. Fuel pump replaced before discovering a PATS error.

PATS light is rapid flashing, eventually dumping a 12 code (one flash, pause, two flash, long pause, repeat).

Pretty positive that there isn't an issue with the (only) key. Had this Explorer started/running about 3 months ago, but the battery croaked, it sat for that amount of time, and here we are today.

Can someone guide me to resolving this/resetting the PATS system so I can get this thing running again?

Thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your PATS probably lost it’s key programming. It’s been known to happen if they sit for an extended period with a totally flat battery.

Do you have another pats key you can try?

Your PATS probably lost it’s key programming. It’s been known to happen if they sit for an extended period with a totally flat battery.
Pats key with a battery
I thought the oem key just has a RFID chip which is powerd up by the halo around the ignition using induction ....like a chip found in a dog cat..

?

Bottom line is rapid flashing pats light = you have a pats issue and that just w solved if you want it to run

Pats key with a battery
I thought the oem key just has a RFID chip which is powerd up by the halo around the ignition using induction ....like a chip found in a dog cat..

?
You’re exactly right. I was talking about the vehicle battery.

You are assuming, or have you verified that there is still, no fuel delivery?

PATS disables the fuel injectors on 2nd gen Explorers, but does not keep the fuel pump itself from running. You should still have pressure at the fuel rail. If you don't, maybe the repair did not go right or the old pump, blew the fuse.

Even so, if the PATS dash light is blinking rapidly, you do have a PATS issue. 3 ways to reprogram the key:

- Take it to a shop

- Take it to a locksmith who offers this (not all do).

- DIY, use Forscan app and a windows host (laptop, tablet or phone, etc), plus OBD2 dongle, plus the Forscan free extended license trial. Details are in Forscan's web forum.

One key only. Picked this '98 up cheap as it was a running 5.0, and I thought it'd be a fun toy. Life got in the way, and short of starting/running it and driving it back and forth in the back 40, haven't gotten to do much with it.

I have confirmed that there's no fuel pressure at the rail. The fuel pump is not engaging/priming when the key is turned to the "On" position.

Do you have a link to the Forscan PATS deal?

You’ve got two separate issues. PATS just stops the injectors, not the pump.

I don't think that's accurate. There's plenty of threads here that confirm PATS disables the fuel pump.

Regardless, I do have a PATS error, flash-code 12 (1 blink, pause, 2 blink), so I need to resolve that in addition to whatever other issues I may have.

95-97 = fuel pump
97.5 -2001= injectors

EDIT. I'm wrong

One key only. Picked this '98 up cheap as it was a running 5.0, and I thought it'd be a fun toy. Life got in the way, and short of starting/running it and driving it back and forth in the back 40, haven't gotten to do much with it.

I have confirmed that there's no fuel pressure at the rail. The fuel pump is not engaging/priming when the key is turned to the "On" position.

Do you have a link to the Forscan PATS deal?
I'd measure for whether 12V is getting to the fuel pump connector and backtrack from there, after checking the fuse. Wiring diagrams are in my sig below.

There are several topics on Forscan's forum, here's one or browse the rest of their forum. There's also youtube videos, just search Forscan program key on youtube.

Here's info on the extended license needed. You need the free trial because due to the Russia-Ukraine fiasco, they cannot process payments for the full version. The trial will program keys. Personally, I'd buy a 2nd key on amazon or ebay so you can program two while you're at it. They're only ~$12 or so, and a standard key cutter at a hardware store or wherever can cut them, since you already have one to go by. If you buy another key, get the regular key not the *clone* type that uses a battery to mimic the first key.

98-01 pats injectors
02+ disables the starter

98 first year of pats

Check your fuses carefully

It’s possible it disables both, I suppose. It definitely kills the injectors.

I'd measure for whether 12V is getting to the fuel pump connector and backtrack from there, after checking the fuse. Wiring diagrams are in my sig below.

I got ~13V with my meter at the fuel pump connector/harness

There are several topics on Forscan's forum, here's one or browse the rest of their forum. There's also youtube videos, just search Forscan program key on youtube.

Here's info on the extended license needed. You need the free trail because due to the Russia-Ukraine fiasco, they cannot process payments for the full version. The trial will program keys. Personally, I'd buy a 2nd key on amazon or ebay so you can program two while you're at it. They're only ~$12 or so, and a standard key cutter at a hardware store or wherever can cut them, since you already have one to go by. If you buy another key, get the regular key not the *clone* type that uses a battery to mimic the first key.

Thank you, I'll look at this.

Okay thanks for the info which years disabled the fuel pump I'm sure the early years they did
91-97 had no chipped keys. Some of them had dealer add on junk that very well might have killed the fuel pumps.

I know that some european vehicles had an extra module, that disabled the fuel pump before NA vehicles did. Aftermarket (dealer-added) or factory, I don't know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a different Explorer (98) than my 99 that I had another thread about, with a similar issue.

No fuel on a 98 V8. Fuel pump replaced before discovering a PATS error.

PATS light is rapid flashing, eventually dumping a 12 code (one flash, pause, two flash, long pause, repeat).

Pretty positive that there isn't an issue with the (only) key. Had this Explorer started/running about 3 months ago, but the battery croaked, it sat for that amount of time, and here we are today.

Can someone guide me to resolving this/resetting the PATS system so I can get this thing running again?

Thank you!!
call around and find locksmith with the scanner he can then reprogram and make you 2 keys
i had it with 04 paid tow and shop diagnoses he then called locksmith
my 99 has it now truck needs clutch and few things went to start in crank starts barely with ether i then realized pats in my case dead. sadly trucks going for parts or scrap had it from new 4l 5 sp 2d best truck only maintenance in 19 yrs it ran . if they made that model now i buy another 20 mpg mix hwy and local

Back