PCM not kicking on fuel pump

fmaster7

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
1992 Ford Explorer XLT.

Changed fuel pump, fuel pump relay, EEC relay, fuel filter . Not getting power to fuel relay when key is turned. Pump turns on if jumped but relay will not get energized by the ECU, im assuming. NO INERTIA SWITCH.

All fuses under hood and inside are good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump, im stranded and need to know this bad :(

Now i checked that the computer is getting power and my check engine light DOES NOT come on when i turn the key. Is my computer fried?

Do you have a book with wiring diagram? My guess is one of the Relays isn't kicking. Those things send the power to the ECM and to the Fuel pump circuit (which goes through the inertia switch)..

There are also some big fuses under the hood that if blown will keep the fuel pump from turning on.

~Mark

Just occured to me.. Do you have one of those old "clifford" type anti theft things? If they go bad they can stop power from going where you expect it to go. I had to pull one of those recently (month or so ago) as it was stopping the power to the ECM.

~Mark

Just occured to me.. Do you have one of those old "clifford" type anti theft things? If they go bad they can stop power from going where you expect it to go. I had to pull one of those recently (month or so ago) as it was stopping the power to the ECM.

~Mark

i have a clifford alarm but its definately not that. Im a mobile electronics installer and we can cross that off the list. Plus this happened to me when i was going 50 mph.

I think it has too be the ECU because power goes to the ECU, fuse it comes from is good. Relay is not getting energized because ECU is not sending the signal.

Ok, so you see power from the ignition switch to the ECM but no power out of the ECM to the Fuel pump.

That, to me, is leaning towards ECM, but normally an ECM will "smell" like burn cabbage when it is burned.

~Mark

Ok, so you see power from the ignition switch to the ECM but no power out of the ECM to the Fuel pump.

That, to me, is leaning towards ECM, but normally an ECM will "smell" like burn cabbage when it is burned.

~Mark

Thats correct above but I do not smell any smell. I think its just getting destroyed OR maybe a loose wire because it works when it wants to now.

What was it? Having the same prob. and reading hundreds of these post from different forums and no one ever comes back and posts the solution. Frustrating.

My solution appears to be replacing the ECU.

Back