• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve related?

BigFellor

Reaction score
City, State
****tsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
So the other day I decided to finally get around to replacing the PCV valve while changing the oil. Whoever came up with this design should be beaten with a golf club.

I'm not entirely sure I got the new one in there completely correctly but pulling on it a little bit did not pull it back out of the hole. The old one didn't even feel like it was in the hole and oil has definitely been leaking out of there.

Now, rewind back a while. Unfortunately this thing sits outside most of the time and is exposed to the elements. EVERY time it rains I get a rough idle and it runs rough in gear for a few minutes until it "dries out".

Every time, except last night after a heavy rain and after I changed the PCV valve. It ran nice and smooth. I also noticed the apparent timing chain rattle I'd been hearing is MUCH quieter if not gone all together. The other odd thing I noticed was a wet spot under the LH side where the pipe goes into the muffler. Water was dripping from there while the car was running.

Is it possible some water was getting into the engine by way of the PCV valve hole and that was causing the rough idle? And is that where the water could have been coming from under the muffler? The oil did appear a little thin when it got down to just a small stream coming out of the pan, but it was also about 6k miles since my last change. Thoughts?

Back