PCV valve, Sea-Foam and Tune-Up for 1999 Explorer 302 AWD V8 302 8 cylinder | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve, Sea-Foam and Tune-Up for 1999 Explorer 302 AWD V8 302 8 cylinder

Yep, goes from there, to a plastic "double-T" to the front and to the PCV valve. It'll be easier for you to just buy the whole kit - comes with the hoses "T" and PCV all put together, and molded just right (almost).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally found it!!

Found the PCV valve! Once you've got it, it's a piece of cake really. I could not have done it without the images in this thread showing where to find it.

That said, I used a turkey baster for a funnel and a mustard squeeze bottle to feed to Seafoam. I filled the mustard bottle with about 2/3 of a can of Seafoam and semi slowly fed it in to the warm engine.
I would gently squeeze until it just about died then release so the engine would catch and the mustard bottle would reinflate. Squeeze - release, squeeze - release...about 5 seconds per cycle.
It took about a minute to get the mustard bottle in, and there was already some smoke...rather vapor... starting to emit as my wife shut it off.
Curiously, it did not want to shut off continueing to run as if the timing were off or diesiling as I've heard it refered to. I had my wife turn the ignition back on, put it in drive and then shut down again. Worked.
I let it sit for 45 minutes then headed out on my "spirited" drive.
Virtually no smoke. A couple of my neighbors were walking their dogs as I pulled out of my driveway and I thought that I would fog them out, inciting a hailstorm of vulgarities...they never even looked at me. I was almost disappointed...

Spirited drive lasted 30 minutes, and it seems to idle smoother and run better below 3k, above that it still breaks down. I am hoping the new iridium plugs and wires will cure that when installed with the TMH's in the next couple of weeks!!!

Thanks guy's, the photo's are a huge help.

Same here - finally found the PCV valve

Without the help of this forum and this thread, I wouldn't have found PCV valve at all. I have 98 EB V8 5L. The PCV valve is sitting behind the intake towards little left if you ace it from the front. It doesn't seem to me that it has two pipe fitting. It is connected to a pipe towards driver side and almost in the corner of the intake the pipe is connected to a stright connector. I suspect that the design is for you to pull the valve easily because the connector and the pipe is not tighten. After that a small pipe goes directly under the first half of the intake towards the driver side.

There is very little room for me to take the PCV out and replace it. I don;t have big hand and big arm. But it is a strech to me.

The next step is to do a seaform.

Without the help of this forum and this thread, I wouldn't have found PCV valve at all.

Couldn't agree more. This thread got me through it. I just wish it was as "easy" to grab the PCV now that I have an UI spacer installed. I scored a can of that "Seafoam Spray" recently that goes directly into the intake tube. Anyhow tried it on the 5.0?

sf-spraygarage.jpg

No Smoke

Thanks to this thread I found the PCV, on my manufactured on Nov '96, '97 AWD 5.L it was behind the "." on the 5.0L emblem.

I got hardly any smoke when a Seaformed.
1. Warm up engine to operating temperature.
2. Pulled PCV from engine.
3. Removed PCV from hose.
4. Used squeeze bottle to pour 8oz of Seafoam into hose.
(Didn't have to squeeze as Seafoam was sucked out.)
5. Turned engine off and let sit for 30 minutes.
6. Poured remainder of bottle into gas tank.
7. Took vehicle for a "spirited" drive.

Why no smoke ? Did I do the procedure correctly ?

I was looking forward to smogging the neighborhood and am so disappointed.:(

Took off my PCV hoses and my hose is different. The long section shown in your picture differs from mine in that my long section is split in two. These two sections connect to a fitting on the drivers side underneath the upper manifold, then continues to the fitting in the manifold front. Mine also doesn't have the short hose that is parallel to the long hose. In other words mine looks like a "L" with the long portion split in two.

I bought from dealer the PCV hoses for a 1997 5.0L Explorer, which matches your pictures. I'm confused.

Edit: Just recently changed out PCV hose assembly for a '97 AWD v8. The fitting to the 3-way-T fitting on the drivers side upper manifold vacuum. The original hose setup used both of these fitting. Hose from the front manifold to the front fitting, then hose from back fitting to a 2-way fitting to hose the PCV is connected to.

The front fitting on the drivers side needs to be plugged using the new set-up, i.e. hose from the front manifold connects directly to the hose that has the PCV. The hose directly connected to the PCV has a short hose that connects the rear fitting on the drivers side manifold.

just did my second annual Seafoam into the pcv hose . . . man is that a lot of smoke.

a lady in a prius was SCREAMING at me . . . "dirty polluter!"

i don't feel dirty?!

That's funny because in all reality the Prius is the most polluting vehicle available for sale right now if all factors of production are taken into consideration from start to finish.

Just completed this project today, thanks to this forum! I think I understand why there are so few pictures, becuase you can't see a thing! I have a 97 (manufactured 5/97), XLT AWD 5.0. The easiest way for me to explain it is; if you put one hand on either side of the main wiring bundle (it can be done) and go straight down, as your fingers meet, it's there. Also, it seems as though the "port" for mine was on a horizontal plane as opposed to a vertical plane (surface) which I had thought.
The "spirited drive" was fun for me, not sure about the neighbors. I did take th opportunity to look for some suspected exhaust leaks, but found none. I do have the dreaded "ticking" in the engine compartment (passanger side), if I didn't see any smoke from that area, does that mean no leak, or am I not that lucky?

One question, I just did a seafoam spray treatment through the intake system, and I was wondering could I spray seafoam directly into the EGR valve outlet hose port (the one that goes to the EGR control solenoid) to clean it of any carbon, that might be causing my rough engine idle?

When I started engine after waiting for 45 minutes, I noticed smoke from back mirror. Once I get out of the garage, there is no smoke anymore. Don't know why. I used about 2/3 of the can.

I finally did my Seafoam yesterday, used a full can and had a little smoke while doing it. 40 minutes later I started it and it smoked like mad! I just ran it a few minutes then waited 2 hours for dark to run again ;). It still smoked a good bit , and I drove it around and cleared it all out. After 168,000 miles I think it was ready!! New plugs and wires this weekend, cleaned the MAF also yesterday.

I see that this is a pretty dead topic but I also did the Seafoam through the brake booster and had no smoke at all. Looks like I will be attempting to do it again this weekend through the PVC. Glad I found this site to steer me in the right direction.

Man, I spent different times over two days trying to figure this out and can't on a 00' 5.0. Even with the pics in this thread still makes no sense. Used a small mirror and still don't know what hose I'm supposed to be pulling or where the PCV is even reaching over the block? Found some videos, but they didn't really help. More I do some work on this truck more i realize how hard it is to work on. I even helped a friend put LT headers on his Raptor and thats considered a nightmare job on those trucks where thats the one thing almost everyone takes to a shop to do lol.

edit - ok, did I find it lol? I read post 143 and reached that way straight under the electrical block on the wall, found a hose that was kinda loose and easy to pull and did. This is what came up, is this the PCV? And if so, how do I get it out further like others have showed in pics, I can't get that hose to move anymore then this pic. Holding up the new piece as well, if this is the PCV the thing at the end is black but guessing from oil. Sounds like the hose rattles like a PCV does.
20150412_155345_zpsiycdvzkb.jpg

Yes, that is the old pcv valve on the end of the hose.

You should also replace the grommet it slides into, which is still in the intake manifold hole you pulled that out of. The grommet has shrunken over time and will leak vacuum.

Yes, that is the old pcv valve on the end of the hose.

You should also replace the grommet it slides into, which is still in the intake manifold hole you pulled that out of. The grommet has shrunken over time and will leak vacuum.
Yeah I have a drip onto one of the cats, can't tell if its a minor one from the oil pan or the PCV, I think its the PCV. How did you guys get the grommet out as I figure I'll have to replace it as i think thats where the leak is coming from.

How do you get the PCV out? Do you just pull it? Theres that big foam piece around it and not sure if it slides back, didn't want to break it before checking. Also how do you get that PCV tube out further like you and others showed in your pics? In my pic I can't get it any further then that, it looks like theres another hose from pics connected somewhere under the intake holding it?

Thanks!

edit - oh yeah and from what I understand, if you want to seafoam, you put the seafoam through the hose the PCV is plugged into right? Like remove the PCV and then use a tube or whatever to feed seafoam in?

double edit - wow, finally tracked down a PCV grommet. Nobody carries these. All the places I called, not even Advance had any store within a huge radius with one, nor Autozone, all had to order and it would be in sometime late next week, or pay rush shipping which would be stupid expensive for a $3 part lol. Napa had one store in Miami out of all their places with one that their sending up tomorrow to my store. Amazon was weird, said it was in stock and qualified for Prime shipping which is obviously two days, yet said this item requires more processing time and wouldn't be here till sometime next week which made no sense to me. Ordered on Prime for like 5 or 6 years and never saw it say something like that.

Was going to grab the grommet today and change PCV. But to my questions above, how do you get the hose out further, I can't tell whats holding it/snagging it. Others show pics of it pulled to the side of the engine, mine will not budge more then the pic above (basically as far as right when you pull it out of the grommet). Do you just push the foam piece back, and pull or twist off the old PCV?

As I recall the PCV vacuum line comes from the bottom of the upper intake plennum. It is connected to a network of Ts and lines, so it is rather stiff, and molded into place. In other words, you have it about as far as you can get it. You should be able to push the foam out of the way, there may be a hose clamp where the barbs of the pcv valve slide into the hose.

Kinda tight to work in this area huh?

edit. Here is a picture of the bottom side of the upper intake. Notice the larger J shape line, it is the main PCV vacuum source. See the "T and the other source tied together? It isn't going anywhere.

012_zps828403a8.jpg

I like to run about 1/2 the can through the engine while it's running then let the engine gobble up as much as it wants so that it stalls.
Anything left goes in the tank.

This coats everything with seafoam.

I usually let it sit overnight then go for a highway run with the overdrive locked out.

Some people think the engine smokes because of the oil content in the Seafoam, and that the oil is put in there to make it appear that it's doing something.

That isn't true at all. The oil just holds the other chemicals in suspension.
The smoke is the soaked carbon build up coming off and burning.

If you do a Seafoam treatment on an engine with no carbon you won't get any smoke.

As I recall the PCV vacuum line comes from the bottom of the upper intake plennum. It is connected to a network of Ts and lines, so it is rather stiff, and molded into place. In other words, you have it about as far as you can get it. You should be able to push the foam out of the way, there may be a hose clamp where the barbs of the pcv valve slide into the hose.

Kinda tight to work in this area huh?

edit. Here is a picture of the bottom side of the upper intake. Notice the larger J shape line, it is the main PCV vacuum source. See the "T and the other source tied together? It isn't going anywhere.

012_zps828403a8.jpg
Glad I read that before I started yanking stuff lol, now with the upper flipped I see where the tubes run. Looks like even if you got that off (if you had to replace the whole tubing assembly) it would be maddening to install a new one. Yeah I have no idea how mechanics do this lol, I'm not even big nor big hands and there is zilch room.

So when peeps run sea-foam through the PVC, their putting it in the end of the hose where the PCV was correct? Looks like I'll have to get a long silicone hose and maybe funnel to fit into the tube end as it would be a pain in the arse as is. Only thing is I'm having a misfire on cylinder 8, hope that'll be fine running through and rev'ing, as going to replace the wires and plugs after.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was me I would use the brake booster line, disconnected from the brake booster. I think the v6 engine pcv line is easier to access, and also the one referred to most often here.

Back