People keep flashing their lights at me. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

People keep flashing their lights at me.

pcitycoug

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
The last few days I've had 3 occasions where people flash their lights at me thinking I am driving with my brights on. Each time I proceeded to flash my brights and show them what bright lights really look like. That shut them up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our lights are pretty bright. And yours may be mis-aligned. May want to check.

thats just a way for them to let you know "WOW WHAT A GOOD LOOKER"
brianj

The last few days I've had 3 occasions where people flash their lights at me thinking I am driving with my brights on. Each time I proceeded to flash my brights and show them what bright lights really look like. That shut them up!
Hey, welcome aboard pcitycoug.:wavey:
I agree with Bill. Have the headlight aim checked. Perhaps they are set too high. The manual shows how to adjust them. The can only be adjusted up and down. Not to the side.

Peter

Hey, welcome aboard pcitycoug.:wavey:
I agree with Bill. Have the headlight aim checked. Perhaps they are set too high. The manual shows how to adjust them. The can only be adjusted up and down. Not to the side.

Peter

I'll check it out. I've had my Explorer for a year now and this has only happened in the last few days. Honestly I think it is more an issue of the power of the regular lights rather than the aim as its been fine for the last year. I think I've just happened upon some more uptight people in smaller cars which are are closer to the ground.

I've noticed on a few occasions when my wife has been following me (she drives the Explorer) it seems like the lights are much brighter than other SUV's of similar size. We've got a Limited with the HID's. Do others noticing this have the HID's or regular headlamps?

if you happen to have a little extra weight in the car, the already high pointing lights will point even higher. On long road trip with lots o luggage a had to adjust them downward. They're pointed a little too high from the factory, in my opinion.

I haven't had this in my Ex. But in a hired Edge in FL last year I was getting flashed at all the time. Told the hire co when I handed the car back that they should look at the aim, they didn't seem that bothered though.

This thread sucks. Cleanup time - don't make me do this twice.

At least they aren't flashing body parts.

Never noticed any Explorers with unusually bright lights.

Thanks, IZwack :)

I'd say if people are bothering to flash you then your lights are really pissing them off... this means they are either badly aimed, very dirty & flaring OR you have a load you are carrying that is temporarily affecting the aim...

In any case you'd be well advised to fix it.

I hear so many people talk about how their new lights are really good and much safer for them now they can see much better - but its annoying that others flash at them all the time. (this especially from those who have upgraded to aftermarket HIDs ).

How good is it when the folks driving almost directly at you at high speed are being blinded by your lights... (e.g. - safer for who exactly...)

Alan

I hate to bring this thread back up, but I've had it happen 3 times in the last week while driving my mom's 2011. Today it happened, and we did have bikes on the back and some luggage, so that might've had something to do with it. I also noticed the lights are kind of blinding when my mom was driving it behind my car. I guess we should probably get them checked out, but it's weird since they're stock and have never been touched, to my knowledge.

I'm not really a fan of the lights, either. They work fine, but the high beams aren't really brighter, it just seems like the lights are less covered up.

I hate to bring this thread back up, but I've had it happen 3 times in the last week while driving my mom's 2011. Today it happened, and we did have bikes on the back and some luggage, so that might've had something to do with it. I also noticed the lights are kind of blinding when my mom was driving it behind my car. I guess we should probably get them checked out, but it's weird since they're stock and have never been touched, to my knowledge.

I'm not really a fan of the lights, either. They work fine, but the high beams aren't really brighter, it just seems like the lights are less covered up.
I'm assuming you are talking about HID lamps. There is a part in the Owner's Guide that explains the aiming of the headlamps. They can only be adjusted horizontally. The verticle position is fixed. It sounds like it could be that at least the headlamp on the driver's side needs to be adjusted a bit to the right. Only guessing here. Good luck.

Peter

EDIT: I was incorrect in the adjustments above. They can only be adjusted vertically and NOT horizontally. Oops.:eek:

I drive a 99 Explorer Sport and in an area where it's really rainy and foggy all winter long so I used to use the fog lights a lot. Used to, no more.

When the fogs where on I'd get the occasional person flashing at me back in 99 to mid 2000s.

But now, even when the fogs are off, flashing their lights at me is much more common. But I've also noticed there are a LOT more newer and much smaller, lower cars on the road. My headlights are pretty much right at their windshield level.

Now my lady friend is complaining about my headlights. We pass each other going to and from work and she never complained when she was driving her Chevy 4X4. But she bought a Mini Cooper 8 months ago. Tiny little low slung thing and I'm in trouble with her about my headlights being on high beam when they aren't.

I'm assuming you are talking about HID lamps. There is a part in the Owner's Guide that explains the aiming of the headlamps. They can only be adjusted horizontally. The verticle position is fixed. It sounds like it could be that at least the headlamp on the driver's side needs to be adjusted a bit to the right. Only guessing here. Good luck.

Peter

Just the base halogens or whatever they are. They do seem to at least look like a projector beam, though, so I think that has something to do with it. We'll get them checked out. Thanks.

I drive a 99 Explorer Sport and in an area where it's really rainy and foggy all winter long so I used to use the fog lights a lot. Used to, no more.

When the fogs where on I'd get the occasional person flashing at me back in 99 to mid 2000s.

But now, even when the fogs are off, flashing their lights at me is much more common. But I've also noticed there are a LOT more newer and much smaller, lower cars on the road. My headlights are pretty much right at their windshield level.

Now my lady friend is complaining about my headlights. We pass each other going to and from work and she never complained when she was driving her Chevy 4X4. But she bought a Mini Cooper 8 months ago. Tiny little low slung thing and I'm in trouble with her about my headlights being on high beam when they aren't.

I've never had anyone flash me with my '06 Explorer. :dunno:

Are you sure they are on? I drove at one point with them off and thought they were set to auto. With the electronic dash display, I thought all was well ..... They were warning me that they were not on!

Are you sure they are on? I drove at one point with them off and thought they were set to auto. With the electronic dash display, I thought all was well ..... They were warning me that they were not on!

They were definitely on, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see in the darkness. :D

I always have mine set to AUTO but have found that when I take the Ex in for service, they set the switch to OFF to avoid the lights coming on when they drive it into the service bay. I now am in the habit of doing that myself when I take it in.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lower them, it takes 1 minute.

Back