Performance A4LD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You can also put in an oil filter adapter and use a typical FL1A type filter as an external filter.

I've been running this setup (I use the Wix 51515) for year on our X and every engine oil change I change the external trans filter and top off the transmission with 1 quart of fluid.

There are a couple threads on here about using an external filter on the Trans.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The twist valve looks like a nice design. I wonder if they make them in a 1/2" X 20 thread. My main concern is if they could get loose under vibration, and leak but I'm sure that these things were tested.

You guys are answering all my questions haha. I was going to add a drain plug and temp sender in the pan. I noticed there are deeper oil pans available with all threaded holes for senders and drain plugs. Opinions? I know some are for and some against but seems like it can't hurt, except they are expensive.

Deeper pan is a good idea, cooler oil temps and more oil capacity. They are $$ thoug

Got a link to this pan?? I've never seen one.think only difference I know of is the 2wd vs 4wd

The twist valve looks like a nice design. I wonder if they make them in a 1/2" X 20 thread. My main concern is if they could get loose under vibration, and leak but I'm sure that these things were tested.

1/2"x20, right here - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-092-001/overview/

The way they are designed, they can't loosen up. The release mechanism is not threaded, the valve opens when it is pushed up/in. The mechanism is under spring tension which holds a tight seal. It is double sealed as well, and rebuildable. Because I don't go off road, mine is installed at the bottom of my trans pan. If somehow a rock pushed the valve release up, it would spring back down once clear, preventing a spill. The notch you see in the picture is to twist and lock the valve in the drain position.

I don't personally use these on my oil pan, but have seen them used on oil pans with no problems. On low slung cars, it sticks out farther than a conventional plug and a rock or curb might damage it depending on mounting. Corrosion has not been an issue; the aluminum parts are anodized and the steel I think is painted or powdercoated.

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_9614-2.php
Only downfall might be that it would hang low. I've heard people say trans pans are stupid because if your transmission gets hot you just have 3 more quarts of hot oil to cool.

In my opinion it would help in an off-road situation where for example you encounter mud or an obstacle where high rpms are needed but low speed. In this case assuming there is adequate cooling to begin with the extra fluid is there as a buffer so things don't get hotter quicker.

I already have the 4x4 as is but I was just thinking while I'm down there why not get the deeper aftermarket pan. Especially seeing as how you can get them already threaded for a temp sensor, as well as a drain plug, AND they add to your fluid capacity.

I saw an aftermarket aluminum clip on heat sink for an external oil filter a few years ago in another thread. It's supposed to reduce the fluid temperature a few degrees by adding more surface area to the spin on filter.

What's everybody's opinion on using one of these? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-NPT-Draincock-HDA71000AV/100095680
717d5d00-33bb-4ce6-a6f0-e6169227e23a_1000.jpg

What's everybody's opinion on using one of these?

It would probably do the job too, but I'm not sure if it would be as happy with fluid temperature fluctuations. I'd worry about it loosening up since it is a threaded type valve. I like the EZ Oil Drain Valve because it's o-ring sealed and made for hot fluid, and only costs around $9. They have been a good seal on both my Explorers for quite a while now.

What's everybody's opinion on using one of these?

Check the reviews... two stand out

Does not work very well. Only way to get it to seal is use a pair of pliers and tighten it. Thought I would be able to shut it off by hand but no such luck. I have a feeling that I will not be able to shut it off completely before long even with a pair of pliers. I would not recommend purchasing this product if you are wanting something to use and that actually performs.

Have one on a Husky 30 gallon. O ring failed in 3 months use. Campbell Hausfeld (that;s who makes these for Husky) customer service was no good. Replacing with standard valve and pipe. 20 minutes work. No more worries.

It's under a lot of pressure on a compressor compared to using it on a pan which is saturated with fluid. A small locknut along with solder could be used to lock it in the pan. The nut is soldered to the inside of the pan, and not the actual plug.

i just rebuild my a4ld trans as well with a new radiator and cooler and torque converter. i added a quart of atf in the torque converter and ran it for five min and went thro all the gears. then added about 2.5 to 3 quarts and did the same process and came out to be on the safe zone on the dip stick. originally before all this it was way above the anitial safe zone. it doesn't seem right to me. of feels right. it shifts good but a little hard. not much just enough to let you know. will it hurt the trany to over fill it?

In my experience the A4LD doesn't mind being overfilled, unless it was way too much. A quart or so shouldn't hurt anything.

Ok just a little update. I spoke with them earlier today and for anyone in my shoes I would certainly recommend them. I am not too knowledgeable on automatics but they were very helpful, answered all my questions and I left the conversation with a good deal of confidence that the product justifies the price. Time will tell if it does but I would recommend them so far.

Ok just a little update. I spoke with them earlier today and for anyone in my shoes I would certainly recommend them. I am not too knowledgeable on automatics but they were very helpful, answered all my questions and I left the conversation with a good deal of confidence that the product justifies the price. Time will tell if it does but I would recommend them so far.

Recommend who?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My original question was in regards to PATC and their A4LD. The website looked kinda old and I wasn't sure if they were experienced on the A4LD. The website has a lot of upgrades listed and I thought some of their claims sounded almost too good when they talked about the a4ld. However like many others stated they seem to know their stuff and I'm excited to get this puppy.

Back