Phantom, Random, Uncommanded Windshield Wipe | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Phantom, Random, Uncommanded Windshield Wipe

i dont want a courtesy wipe when i first start my vehicle. I turned that off the first night. There's nothing i can't stand more than having a freshly cleaned vehicle and then using the wipers and smearing whatever dust/dew from overnight and forcing me to use the washer fluid to get a clean window again...but then i have the water spots on the edge of the windshield.....i can't stand that.

+1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cory, I sent you a PM the day I started this thread. Patiently waiting for a reply.

Thanks a bunch!!
You got it, blwnsmoke. My inbox is still a bit swamped at the moment, so I’ll get to your PM as soon as possible. :)

Cory

What package has autowipers? I don't remember that one.

It is the rain sensing wipers. I have this also every now and then and I just turn off my wipers from the delay that I had it on the last time it rained. It is a sensor that I assume can be tricked by light changes, Bugs hitting the windshield or a few other things. I only have my wipers on in delay when it starts raining and then the rain sensing works to only trigger them when water accumulates enough to set it off, pretty easy to just turn the nob on the right steering column arm. If this is truly happening with your wipers completely off then you have a problem with your controls that thinks you just pressed the washer fluid. The courtesy wipe only wipes one last time after a delay of about 5 seconds after pressing the window washer.

I'm a bit compulsive about keeping my windshield clean so I can assure you that the random wipes are not caused by bugs or dirt (paved roads, very few bugs this time of year and no marks over the sensor when I checked). I don't use Rain-X either....

To me, it isn't a big deal I just think it is funny that the owner's manual (as I recall, anyway) recommends not wiping a dry, dirty windshield yet that is exactly what the random courtesy wipes do.

It is the rain sensing wipers. I have this also every now and then and I just turn off my wipers from the delay that I had it on the last time it rained. It is a sensor that I assume can be tricked by light changes, Bugs hitting the windshield or a few other things. I only have my wipers on in delay when it starts raining and then the rain sensing works to only trigger them when water accumulates enough to set it off, pretty easy to just turn the nob on the right steering column arm. If this is truly happening with your wipers completely off then you have a problem with your controls that thinks you just pressed the washer fluid. The courtesy wipe only wipes one last time after a delay of about 5 seconds after pressing the window washer.

It is the rain sensing auto wipers, not the xourtesy wipe. I just said "courtesy wipe" because it normally does it once randomly.. hence courtesy however I know it is the rain sensing issu.

Good clarification on the terminology. Yes, I think it is a rain sensor issue and not the courtesy wipe function.

It is the rain sensing auto wipers, not the xourtesy wipe. I just said "courtesy wipe" because it normally does it once randomly.. hence courtesy however I know it is the rain sensing issu.
Good clarification on the terminology. Yes, I think it is a rain sensor issue and not the courtesy wipe function.
blwnsmoke & RandyH2,

I sent more information in a reply to your most recent PM. Please check your inbox for my message.

Cory

I have a Plymouth Voyager with no autowiper, and it does the wiper wiggle now and then!

I figured out it was an EMF interference issue to the mechanical relay. It does the wiggle when I drive under/close to a high voltage power pole/tower.

Might be the same on X's ... (or could be RFI interference on the sensor/control bus)

I'm a bit compulsive about keeping my windshield clean so I can assure you that the random wipes are not caused by bugs or dirt (paved roads, very few bugs this time of year and no marks over the sensor when I checked). I don't use Rain-X either....

To me, it isn't a big deal I just think it is funny that the owner's manual (as I recall, anyway) recommends not wiping a dry, dirty windshield yet that is exactly what the random courtesy wipes do.
Had the same problem with random wipes. Took it in today and they replaced the 'processor' (BT4Z*17D547*B) under TSB 11-11-12. My total time at the dealership was about 45 minutes, most of which was taken up by washing and drying the Explorer which they do with every service.

Peter

my Ex has developed the phantom wipe

Ugh, didn't do it for 6 months, now 3 times in a week. In Florida now instead of CT and wondering if its related to that.

Its going to the dealer on 3/19 to have the a pillars replaced. Will mention it then. Also going yo complain again about the greasy windows that they refuse to fix.

Hoping for the mft upgrade soon. Driving 1200 miles on a road trip was actually a great experience. Mft screwed up once, the voice for navigation stopped and a quick master reset resolved it.

Other than that it was a comfortable ride and the 3rd row is coming in very handy with 2 carseats in the 2nd row and 2 more adults in the 3rd. Gonna add a Thule Ascent 1600 for my next road trip as I really could use some more cargo space. Still trying to decide which box to get between that one and an Atlantis 1800 but its a $200 difference.

I had my phantom wipe repaired two days ago. It had been happening 5 to 10 times a week. I'll give an update after a week or so.

Had mine done under TSB 11-11-12 on Jan. 6th and so far so good.
Part #: BT4Z*17D547*B, Processor - Windshield.

Peter

Ugh, didn't do it for 6 months, now 3 times in a week. In Florida now instead of CT and wondering if its related to that.

Its going to the dealer on 3/19 to have the a pillars replaced. Will mention it then. Also going yo complain again about the greasy windows that they refuse to fix.

Hoping for the mft upgrade soon. Driving 1200 miles on a road trip was actually a great experience. Mft screwed up once, the voice for navigation stopped and a quick master reset resolved it.

Other than that it was a comfortable ride and the 3rd row is coming in very handy with 2 carseats in the 2nd row and 2 more adults in the 3rd. Gonna add a Thule Ascent 1600 for my next road trip as I really could use some more cargo space. Still trying to decide which box to get between that one and an Atlantis 1800 but its a $200 difference.

How can they refuse to fix something outlined in a TSB?

Take a look at Sears for your cargo box. They have several just like the Thule for less money. I got mine for 300.

How can they refuse to fix something outlined in a TSB?
TSB's are not the same as problems addressed by a 'Recall'. It merely shows that a problem is being experienced by an above average number of owners and that they (Ford) have determined that a problem does exist, but not necessarily with every model/vehicle.
The only real problem that I've had with my 2011 was with the 'unintended windshield wipe' and it was addressed under the TSB and without having to duplicate it.

Peter

Haven't found that to be an issue, until today perfectly dry out and swoop, the wipers went, had them on the first setting?

The 1800 is much better looking because if it's glossy finish, quieter because it was designed in a wind tunnel, just a measly 6-8 inches longer but wider than the 1600 and yet 1/8 more volume. The width will allow you to fit larger duffle bags sideways. The 1600 has the same hardware, on and off in 10 seconds, but the material of the 1800 makes the box stiffer. Neither box will interfere with your antennae or sunroof. Both boxes in order to close them, you have to lock them, they are secure and water tight, i wouldn't put your laptop up inside of one thru a down pour but I have never found water or snow inside of mine. The 1800 is about an inch taller, so if you intend to use the garage you may wish to measure the ground to the door's lower edge when open. As well as a frequently used parking garage. This measurement maybe the deciding factor of which or any box you buy-like i said they do come off in seconds and can be done by one adult. Boxs, although up front costs are up there are invaluable for luggage, trips to the beach or mountain and unlike any other accessories that you buy for a car it doesn't get traded in or disposed of when the life of the vehicle is over, it simply goes to the next car. One last thing do not buy the Thule bar system for your explorer, instead use the oem cross bars.

Sometimes you can find these boxes at 20% off but that's about it, first there is not that much margin for the retailer and second the freight costs absorbed the retailer impacts it even more. Thule is one of those brands that you get what you pay for and brands like that typically are sold for the $$$ everywhere.
Good luck

I was going to get the Thule aerobars. Why shouldn't i? The OEM bars are ugly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to get the Thule aerobars. Why shouldn't i? The OEM bars are ugly.

The bars and subsequently the box will be a lot noisier because they are up off the rack more. They,re mounted on top of the side rails. The cost on the thule bars, feet and locks will be 265-300. OEM ford bars for the ex will be 120-150.

I take that back, the new aero bars will cost you a bit more. They're much more suited for cars without a luggage rack.

Back