Picked up a 302 block | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Picked up a 302 block

Well I picked up a rebuilt 302 block today and will be building it up hopefully to be done by next spring. On Tuesday it is going to the machine shop to get bored .30 over. I have some mods planned and want to run them by to see what you guys think/suggest. My goal is to run 12's in the 1/4.

Summit Engine stroker kit. This will bring it up to a 347. It comes with cast 3.40" stroke crank, forged 4340 H-beam rods, keith black hypereuctic pistons, speed pro piston rings, clevite bearings, fel-pro gaskets and melling oil pump.

Zex 100 shot of N2O

Ford Racing E303 cam and Roller rocker arms (I see two pedestal mount heads & stud mount heads, which ones do I get).

BBK 255lph fuel pump

Ford racing 30lb/hr injectors.

Would I need anything else to make this work? Anything else I should add or not do?

Mods I have so far are Mac Intake, Pro-m 75mm mass air, underdrive pulleys, flowmaster 40 series 3" cat back exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go for lifters, valve springs and for a cam you WILL have to get a chip so you can get the full potential out of it

are you putting this in the ex?

Thanks boomin I forgot about the lifters and springs. I also forgot to put that I have an apten chip on the way.

Hell yes its going into the ex

i'm not sure all that would be good for 12s, might be more likely a mid 13 even with weight reduction.

also, no e cam in a 347 thats like running a stock stang cam in a 302. you need to get more radical.

i think you need to look into some boost, maybe ditch the nitrous (just to save money to afford the other stuff), and a different cam.

You'll probably need a custom ground cam. You'll need a more radical cam (like Expo is saying) but you'll also need it to make all it's power under 5500rpm (which only a couple cams do.. the E being one of them). Also, as far as ped or stud rockers. That depends on what heads you use. If you're using your GT40Ps than you'll want ped mount.

Also, I'd buy the stroker rebuild kit before you send the block off to the machine shop. You'll be much more successful if he knows what he's building the block to become. Or at least show him what definite kit you're going to put in it.

In a 4500 lb Ex. with perfect conditions and an expert driver, you will require 425 RWHP to turn high 12s, keep us posted, not saying it cannot be done, just not likely IMO

Thanks for the info this is exactly why I started this thread. Which cam do you guys suggest. This thing is still going to be my daily driver so I dont want an off the wall cam. I would love some boost but its either build the motor and do a shot of juice or slap on the blower. What do you guys think I would be better off doing.

BTW I know 12's is going to be hard to reach but it is a goal of mine and I will reach it.

if its a goal, then build a mild motor (relatively) fully expecting to need to add boost later to actually reach the goal.

your not gonna have a daily driver streetable n/a 347 explorer that runs 12s unless you build it for a huge shot of nitrous (read as: expensive as the blower) and thats coming from me with the least reasonable dd i know of (obviously not the motor, but otherwise)

HHmmm well I guess the blower might be the best option for me then. I noticed the powerdyne one is $2900 is it any good? Hell if thats the case this might get done by the end of this summer. Also I read that a supercharger is not good for cars with alot of miles. How much is alot?

no one knows how much is alot.

many, many people are running nicely built high mileage 5.0s with various amounts of boost or nitrous with no problems. It is a very dependable motor. Doesn't mean nothing will go wrong with yours, but i'd worry little if its built right.

Yes, you will need more cam than the Ecam. Best bet would be to run a nitrous/boost specific cam. CompCams, Wolverine, etc. etc. You will also need heads. The stock heads arent gonna keep up with a 347 and nitrous. Above all else, dont plan on ever seeing 12's until you have a custom set of headers made.

I don't know if its too late or not but I read this in Chiefs swap thread, something to think about...

azexplorer4by said:
...you will not like a 347 in the explorer, these engines are stroked in 2 configs, either with a 5.4" rod, which in turn puts the piston pin into the oil ring area and with that it is a oil burner, or TMD makes a kit with a 5.315" rod that doesn't burn oil, but makes the crank to rod angle not exactly Ideal. My sugestions is a 331 stroker they have none of these problems. I have one (accually 327 CID, no overbore)in my '62 comet with a richmond 6 speed, on pump gas I make 441 RRHP and 368 ft /lbs of torque and to boot I have 60k+ miles on this set up over and it will still trip the lights at 12.0 flat and 130 mph.

Back