Piece of upper balljoint stuck in spindle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Piece of upper balljoint stuck in spindle

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Those of you cali guys probably know what im talking about if you were at truckhaven lol. I snapped my upper ball joint off in the spindle. Now ive been trying to get that piece out and i cant get it to budge. I need my truck back up soon, anyone have any ideas how to get it out?? Ill get some pics up tommorow if need be...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm can't you remove the bolt from the spindle and spread it alittle with screwdriver than knock it out the way it goes in?

Otherwise i think pics would helpful here

The only other thing i can think of is to use a little heat on it and see if that will help.

The hole fror the upper ball joint stud doesn't go all the way through-you can't get behind it. I have real good pics if you need 'em-

Do you have access to a welder? If so, taper the threaded end of a long bolt (at like 45-degrees) and weld it on top of the broken ball joint so you can have something to grip (with a slide hammer or something).

The heat from the welding process should help break the bolt free.

Heating cast isnt a big problem, you just have to do cool it down slowly (as opposed to splashing water on it :D)

Do you have access to a welder? If so, taper the threaded end of a long bolt (at like 45-degrees) and weld it on top of the broken ball joint so you can have something to grip (with a slide hammer or something).

Heating cast isnt a big problem, you just have to do everything slowly -- including the cool down process.

That might work, but i think the end is to far down in the spindle to get a welder into. Im gonna take some pics right now so you guys can see what im talking about.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• spindle1.jpg
    spindle1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 453
  • spindle2.jpg
    spindle2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 450

Wow your right, dunno how I'd get that out. Looks like trying to split it open as much as you can is the best approach.

That's a weak design and having it a blind hole makes it even worse. What was Ford thinking???

Looks like time for a new (to you anyways) spindle or pay a competent machine shop to EDM it out, but that may cost more than a good used spindle.

That's a weak design and having it a blind hole makes it even worse. What was Ford thinking???

Looks like time for a new (to you anyways) spindle or pay a competent machine shop to EDM it out, but that may cost more than a good used spindle.

Unfortunatly a new spindle isnt really a viable option. They are not stock spindles and finding a replacement is gonna be very difficult. Im gonna try heating it up a little and spreading the slot a little and see if i can get it out that way.

Yeah thats the next step. Im a little nervous heating up a cast spindle though... Thanks, i might even use heat and an ez-out thing.

I think you might be able to drill it and use an ez-out. Good luck man.

I guess if whatever is left of the ball joint doesn't go past the end of that slit - you could clamp it down on a drill press and drill away as much of the ball joint out (but not all the way to the walls of the spindle), and then collapse whatever is left with a screwdriver or something (via the slit).

I think you might be able to drill it and use an ez-out. Good luck man.

I think that would be my next try. Get an ez-out in there, pry the slot open with a prybar and then tap on the side of the spindle with a hammer while pulling on the ez-out.

I guess if whatever is left of the ball joint doesn't go past the end of that slit - you could clamp it down on a drill press and drill away as much of the ball joint out (but not all the way to the walls of the spindle), and then collapse whatever is left with a screwdriver or something (via the slit).

Your a great thinker--that is a good idea--

I was wondering if a chisel could be driven into the slit-just enough to open it a bit and hold it there.

you'll get it dude, or i will monday....

Your a great thinker--that is a good idea
Thanks, it was one of those 4:30 am ideas (fell asleep too early last night). My sleeping schedule is waaay off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much is a new replacement knuckle btw?

Back