Removing Pin-stripes.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Pin-stripes....

How do you remove pin-stripes?? I really want to get rid of these ugly looking things, but I'm afraid of messing the whole side of the truck up or having a visible line of sticky stuff all the way down both sides of my truck.......

Here's a pic showing the pin-stripe that I want to get rid of....Let me know how to...

172408_1_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the wheel is not dangerous to paint. that is what it is made for. just dont hold it in one spot and "bear down" on it until you see smoke. keep it moving, use relatively low rpms, and it will take it right off. i had no fade under the stripe, but mine is white. i used this on a 95 tahoe 2 years ago to remove the side molding glue, and there was no fade under there. unless your rig was never waxed, washed, taken care of at all, dont worry 'bout the fade. if it is, just re-stripe it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha.. good question.. i do this stuff for a side income *(vinyl stickers and such...)* anyway..

you use a heat gun.. very quickly run over it... get it just warm enough that it is able to peel of quickly... and then use acetone.. and just rub the glue left off... dont do it for more than a min or so.. then rinse.. and do it again.. or you will start taking the clear off.

glad i could finally help around here.

look, I took the pinstripe off my 96'X5.0 a couple of days a go. It's a easy as slowly peeling the pinstripe off. If there is residue, just take a terry cloth rag and rub over it and it comes right off. Very minimal fading, barely noticeable. It surely takes the grocery wagon look away from the X.

I am in the Decal biz, so the way I would do it is to start the end and pull slowly. Most likely it will come off in one piece. I use xylene to remove the leftover glue. If you need it use sparingly and do not smoke!!!! Then I would use a little polishing compound followed by a coat of wax.

just removed mine

I just did the removal tonight, it took about 5-10 minutes for both sides, and another 15 min or so to rub off the excess glue. I used a hair dryer to warm up the surface first so it would come off in one peice, and then rubbed off the rubber-like glue with my thumb. VERY EASY!

Back