PIU glove box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU glove box

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Had the hinges on my PIU’s glove box (in dash) snap. I’m trying to compare part #’s but anyone have an idea if a regular explorer glove box will work or does it *have* to be a PIU’s to fit right?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be wrong but it's near unimaginable to me that a PIU would have different glove box hinges. Considering the crazy cost of shipping these days, I'd head out to a junkyard and harvest parts... or fabricate something more durable out of aluminum, depending on XYZ reasons/situations/skills/materials/etc.

Had the hinges on my PIU’s glove box (in dash) snap. I’m trying to compare part #’s but anyone have an idea if a regular explorer glove box will work or does it *have* to be a PIU’s to fit right?

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you check this site and the Vehicle Fitment list you will see it only lists the 2013 - 2019 PIU.
This is the one listed for the Base Explorer.

Peter

^ Hmm, the HIGHLY detailed drawings are the same, but looks like the far more expensive base explorer version is "camel" (which I assume is undyed nylon?) color while the much less expensive PIU is charcoal colored? Either way, $262 + S/H, let alone $554 +, seems crazy expensive to get new hinges, especially if they're prone to breaking.

I found a... maybe... related video.

I pulled my glovebox to swap out the cabin filter. If memory serves, there are two plastic pins that are the actually hinges. In my case, one was a real bear to unsnap. Is the glovebox door broken, or just the pins? IDK if the pins are available seperately.

I pulled my glovebox to swap out the cabin filter. If memory serves, there are two plastic pins that are the actually hinges. In my case, one was a real bear to unsnap. Is the glovebox door broken, or just the pins? IDK if the pins are available seperately.
Its the hinges that hold onto those pins.

Thanks all for the insights so far. Definitely not buying a new one. Either will go junkyard route or MacGyver some type of fix.

Thanks all for the insights so far. Definitely not buying a new one. Either will go junkyard route or MacGyver some type of fix.
Duct tape.

They are the same

Thanks all. Got a used one and added another learning experience to owning an Explorer.

Back