Pete Adams

Reaction score
City, State
Ball Ground, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer PIU
Callsign
K4PRA
Hello group. Glad I found a forum with what looks like good info on the PIU. I've been impressed with these vehicles for a while and got a chance to drive my friends 16. I like it, it fits me and had the power and handling I like. Also, I"m a ham and volunteer Firefighter and this is the only modern vehicle I know of that easily accommodates all the radio junk I put into my vehicles.

So one of the first things I was looking for was some kind of a price guide, what's the going prices, what's a good price? I'm going to a dealer on Friday to look and wanted to have some idea of real world prices before the salesmen starts wheeling and dealing. Also, any guidance on what to look for both good and bad.

Hay,for a first post I don't want too much do I :) ?

PS. What's with all the Pete's here?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Pete.:wave:

Peter

Hello group. Glad I found a forum with what looks like good info on the PIU. I've been impressed with these vehicles for a while and got a chance to drive my friends 16. I like it, it fits me and had the power and handling I like. Also, I"m a ham and volunteer Firefighter and this is the only modern vehicle I know of that easily accommodates all the radio junk I put into my vehicles.

So one of the first things I was looking for was some kind of a price guide, what's the going prices, what's a good price? I'm going to a dealer on Friday to look and wanted to have some idea of real world prices before the salesmen starts wheeling and dealing. Also, any guidance on what to look for both good and bad.

Hay,for a first post I don't want too much do I :) ?

PS. What's with all the Pete's here?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, Pete. Not long ago a local thrift store called For Pete's Sake had a sale on Petes, so we picked up a few. This sort of thing happens from time to time.

I, too, volunteer with our local FD, so I can relate to your need for a PIU even though I don't use mine for responses.

As far as a price guide, you'll have to tell us a bit more about what specifically you're looking for. Are you looking for one that's for most purposes new or is one a few years old OK? Any particular options or combination of options you're after? Are you willing to travel and/or have a vehicle shipped? I was very specific about what I wanted in mine, which is why it took nearly two years to find one, but most people are somewhat more flexible. The good news is that PIUs have now been around long enough to where there's one out there to fit just about any budget, so chances are you'll find what you're looking for.

Can you share the one you're going to look at with us?

Thanks for the welcome and reply VCFP153 or should I call you "V". From what I've read on the forum, there are a number of firefighters and hams who gravitate to the PIU. Regarding my requirements I have to say I don't have many. I'm looking for a either an 18 or a low mileage private owned 16 or 17. No special equipment needs, the basic steel wheels, NA engine, pretty much as the basic vehicle comes off the line. I can add remote locks with Forscan and any other bells and whistles enabled by Forscan. If used, it wouldn't hurt to have a radio console installed and 3/4 " holes in the roof would be fine for my antennas. I'm sure there are options I don't even know about that you-all can educate me about. Not having the car? truck? (what do we call them here?) I may not appreciate the benefit of say a factory installed AM/FM radio or Nav or whatever.
As far as shipping one in from California, I'd say no, from somewhere in the east, maybe but I'd probably just shop within a day's driving range or as far as my wife would care to drive me to pick one up. I'm fortunate to have a dealer about an hour away who name pops up on the forum so if I'm buying from a dealer they'd probably be the one. I haven't identified other sources in Georgia or nearby states. I do have a possibility of buying a nice 16 from a friend who's thinking of selling. His is PIU is black ,very clean and very stock with a radio console and some pre drilled holes in the roof. Perfect for me but he's still thinking about it. Funny when people say they want to sell then have to think about for a year!
I'm going to the dealer on Friday to check out what they have and will keep you all informed. I think I answered all your questions and hope that would lead to some useful input.

BTW - Ormond Beach is a very nice area. I've been there many times when my parents lived in Timber Creek.

Thanks

I don't think you'll find too many low mileage private owned 16s or 17s and the selection of 18's available for retail sale is pretty slim. If I had to guess, you'd probably pay upper teens to mid 20s for a used 16 depending on condition, somewhere in the 20's for a 17, maybe up to low 30's for 'new' 17, and probably upper 20s to low 30s for a 'new' 18.

If you're buying used, get a carfax - there's a lot of salvage title stuff out there, so beware.

Make sure to confirm warranty start date - if the vehicle came through ford factory auction or other channels, it may have had it's ticket punched as of date of manufacture. In the case of a used 2016, that could mean the 3/36 warranty is already up or close to being up and it will reduce the time you have on the 5/100 powertrain warranty also. Keep in mind that some auction stuff may not even have a warranty at all, so get what you can in writing from the seller and confirm through oasis.

You may also want to ask about hail or other damage.

There were about a dozen or so 18's that went through manheim denver a month or so ago and I saw that Jacky Jones grabbed up more than a few. Looks like most went for around $24-26K and dealers seem to be shooting for a gross of $4-5K or more.

Thanks for the welcome and reply VCFP153 or should I call you "V". From what I've read on the forum, there are a number of firefighters and hams who gravitate to the PIU. Regarding my requirements I have to say I don't have many. I'm looking for a either an 18 or a low mileage private owned 16 or 17. No special equipment needs, the basic steel wheels, NA engine, pretty much as the basic vehicle comes off the line.

Then you have a lot of choices. Griffin Ford by Milwaukee (where I got mine) currently has nine units, all with less than 100 miles, any of them would fit your needs. Here they are:

https://www.griffinford.com/used-in...lice&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=

Closer to your neck of the woods, Jacky Jones Ford in Cleveland, GA, has 10 units, 7 of them are 2018s.

https://www.jackyjones.com/used-inv...acted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-2

Here's what comes back on Autotrader, including some 2016s with somewhat higher miles priced in the mid-teens:

Autotrader - page unavailable

That should give you an idea on pricing and such.

Feel free to ask more questions, we're pretty nice here.

Thanks to both VCFP and KayGee for good info. KG, your numbers re the auction prices is very helpful. I just needed a rough estimate what kind of mark up is applied to these cars. Too bad there isn't a True Cars site for these rigs.

I'm going over to Jacky Jones on Friday and take a look at their stock. I looked at the offerings from Griffin and they seem a bit higher but had similar cars. I'd probably get a better deal if I was willing to travel but I'm not that motivated these days. Shipping could add (from what I know) $880 - $400 so could jack up a good deal price. I could be wrong on shipping.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks to both VCFP and KayGee for good info. KG, your numbers re the auction prices is very helpful. I just needed a rough estimate what kind of mark up is applied to these cars. Too bad there isn't a True Cars site for these rigs.

I'm going over to Jacky Jones on Friday and take a look at their stock. I looked at the offerings from Griffin and they seem a bit higher but had similar cars. I'd probably get a better deal if I was willing to travel but I'm not that motivated these days. Shipping could add (from what I know) $880 - $400 so could jack up a good deal price. I could be wrong on shipping.

Thanks again for the info.

Jacky Jones usually has pretty nice stuff. Prices aren't the lowest, but you generally get what you pay for. When you go in, ask for Clint LaPrade, tell him Ike from Florida sent you. He should remember me, we spoke a bunch a couple months ago. He didn't get my business only because he didn't have the exact thing I was looking for, and Griffin did. I would have much rather bought from him, if for no other reason than he's 900 miles closer.

I like this one in particular. Nice price, too...

Used 2018 Ford Police Interceptor Utility For Sale | Cleveland GA

Jacky Jones and Griffin are two of the bigger players in retail pius and aren't willing to move much on price, if at all, from my experience. I talked to both quite a bit before I bought mine from auction through a local Ford dealer. Good luck. Keep in mind that the msrp on a base piu is only around 32-33k, so if you pay 30+, you're not really getting much of a deal.

You can always check eBay for price comparison purposes. You might also find the right one on there.

Well, based on the info I got here I went ahead and bought an 18 at Jacky Jones. It's black and has a few nice civilian type upgrades. Bluetooth Sync and movable pedals, both useful and needed now that Georgia requires handsfree cell phone usage. Like you all said, there are no "deals" when buying a PIU from a dealer. I did OK at 32, 800 with a trade. The trade in offsets some tax so for me it came down to a an acceptable deal. The sticker price was $35,365 for what that's worth. The price of the upgrades is always amazing. Ford gets $365 for a spot light. I think I'll get into the spotlight business.

BTW the experience at Jacky Jones was great. It's a small dealer low key and I got done with the deal quickly and easily. I dealt with Ben Lawrence.

Now I'll be starting new threads about programming, consoles and antenna installation.

Thanks for the help getting me going.

Congratulations Pete. There is already a thread on the console.:)

Peter

Congrats on the purchase.

Yeah, congratulations. Cool to see a 2018 on here. You should do a thread and show us some photos.

Back