• Register Today It's free!

Planning a 5.0 Overhaul

TekMan05

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 V8
Ok so later on this year, I'm planning to tear down and put back together my 5.0 with only 156,000 miles. Reason to do so is for several reasons, learning experience, replace valve seals that are slowly starting to go bad, and to add a cam into it as well. The engine as of now runs great so hopefully I'll be able to re-use alot of parts. At this point I want to stay with 302 ci displacement. I don't have the budget nor is neccessary to build a stroker engine since I also own a Mustang as well that could rather benefit from that money. But I do want to know what I can do outside of new gaskets, rings, oil pump and bearings I can do to rejuvenate it. A cam is a top priority for this project, preferrably a custom cam. Redo everything on the top end like springs, rollers, push rods, ignition, etc.Can anyone help point me in the direction of rebuild kits on here, Where I can locate someone that can build a cam and give me an idea of how much a simple rebuild plus cams, and valve train must cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really as far the ignition? I've heard alot about MSD. But honestly , you're right that's something I can do later anyways with the engine in the truck. I'm really focused about doing the internals. I'm gonna check with COMP cams , other than that any other reccommendations?

The ignition is good, you could run msd coil packs if you really wanted, but those are easy to add anytime. Jay Allen used to be the go to cam designer, but he has been ill for quite some time and fallen off the map. I would check over on sbftech and see who they are recommending now.

For what that cam costs I think your better off getting a true custom cam, and not from comp or another major manufacturer. Woody who owns ford strokers is recommending these guys right now since Jay Allen is out of commission.

Mark at Bullet (662)893-8022

Bob at Cam Motion 225 926 6110

Cool I'll give those numbers a call later this work week. I also figured those prices were pretty dang high!

How high do you plan on revving the engine to achieve the desired output? This will determine quite a few needed upgrades--

The first time the engine sees 5800 RPM's you should upgrade valve springs-for example. Valve train stability will need to be addressed, as the contact arc of the rocker tip will be increased. Roller rockers will "pull" the valve stem less.

The rocker arm pulling on the valve is responsible for valve stem seal wear. If you have excessive wear with a stock cam, well, I think you can see where this is going. $$$

I'd say 6,000-6,200 would be a fair number for me

Ok i Emailed Cam motion and they sent me back a cam reccomendation sheet to fill out. Is there somewhere I can get the specifications on all the internals of the Explorer 5.0 such as cam type, engine design, rod length, bore/stroke, cylinder heads, cylinder head flow lift of intake/exhaust, compression, rocker ratio, valve size, current cam design profile ?

Cam Type? Engine Design/Size?
Bore/Stroke? Rod Length?
Cylinder Heads? Compression?
Cyclinder Head Modifications?
Rocker Ratio? Valve Sizes?
Induction System?
Fuel? Exhaust System?
Chassiss Design/Weight?
Transmission? Axle Ratio/Tire Size?
Current Camshaft Design/Profile?
Application Notes
Cylinder Head Flow Data
Lift Intake Exhaust

All these question are to be told when you describe the type of vehicle, engine package with said vehicle. The company you are inquiring with about a cam has all that info at a touch of their fingers. The questions they are asking from you are aftermarket internals that you may have installed and if you did any bore and stroke modification. But if it is a basic 2000 5.0, that is all you have to tell them,Majority of it is simple,

The 5-liter engine in the Ford Explorer is technically a 4.9-liter

4,949 cc of displacement

cam type- is a single overhead cam

98, 99, 00 came out with 215 horsepower and 288 foot-pounds of torque

compression ratio of 9.0-to-1.

Cylinder bore was 4 inches and crankshaft stroke was 3 inches.

The overhead valve configuration has 16 valves, and the transmission is a four-speed automatic.

The company you are inquiring to wold have all the stock internals required to come up with a suitable cam based on what you are looking for. You explain to them that you are rebuilding the engine with stock internals and or whatever you are installing in the rebuild.

Hope this helps as there is not much to give ya oother than advice.

Hey guys, been a while since I posted in this thread. Been busy with other things plus still searching my options. I got refered to flowtechinduction by the 5.0 guys on the mustang forums.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/

This is the email responsed I got from them after sending a cam buil form to them. AT this point I just want to do a basic overhaul with a cam swap and any other valvetrain changes the builder specifies. No stroker engine, no head swap, intake swap. I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

Good morning Thomas,

Thank you for your interest in one of our custom designed camshafts and valvetrain kits. I will review what you have listed on your Cam Tech Form and go through all your pertinent details. Your particular camshaft profile will be designed and ready for scheduling in about two to three working days. Please note, because I receive dozens and dozens of Emails per day, there are times when a response may be delayed.

If this timeframe is acceptable, this type of camshaft will normally take about a week to ten days to get completed after receipt of payment. Lead-times may vary depending on the time of the year order is placed and availability of camshaft cores. Special base circle cores or grinds require additional time. Once payment is received, I can Email you an advanced copy of the cam spec card that is included with every profile. As a policy, I do not release any of the camshaft particulars until payment is received.

Any one of our custom hydraulic roller camshafts for the small block Ford is $325 USD with FREE SHIPPING to the continental 48 states. The race series billet steel core camshafts are available for $375 and the “Ever-Wear” steel cores are $395 USD also with free shipping. Payments are strictly by cash, certified bank check or postal money order and must be paid in full before any work can proceed. PayPal is also accepted with 3% added to the entire order to cover processing and documentation fees. The PayPal total for a hydraulic roller camshaft would be $335 ($387 for billet cores) shipped to the continental 48 states. Additional shipping and insurance costs will need to be calculated.

Be aware that your cylinder heads will require a change of valve springs and other peripheral equipment when using our camshafts. If this is required, the customer must be able to provide the proper information on such items as valve spring installed height and pocket diameters in order for us to provide the correct matching spring package. The GT40P heads require machining the spring pockets for a quality valve spring kit so have your machine shop be aware of this. Push rod lengths will vary so they must be verified for proper rocker arm geometry and lifter preload before ordering. We can provide all the proper components for a trouble free installation as long as we are provided accurate information. If you are interested in these peripherals, they can be quoted for you. We look forward to working with you on this project.

Ed

FLOWTECH INDUCTION
PO Box 1205
Coventry, RI 02816
www.FlowTechInduction.com

Can anyone provide me with the needed 5.0l engine spec so I can give the builder the correct information needed to get me the right parts?

cam type- is a single overhead cam

he meant to say "single overhead VALVE"

Ryan

Yes, ~Bump! Anyone on here know where I can find the internal specs of the late Gt-40p head 5.0 engines. Things like lift, duration, stock cam lobe separation, valve spring installed height and pocket diameters. The cam builder needs to know all this before I can move forward with this project.

The stock cam Ford puts in the 5.0L engines is pretty darn good. Putting in another cam without improving breathing for the heads really limits the potential horsepower gain from a cam swap. I would take the money for the cam and buy under drive pulleys, headers and a free flowing exhaust and you will see about as much horsepower as a cam. Also, you could mill the heads down a bit to increase the compression ratio. Just don't go too far. Then again, if you want a dependable decent performance boost then install higher (numerical) gears as this is one of the best bang-for-the-bucket modifications one can do.

BTW, Flowtech Induction is a great outfit. If you are going the cam route then you chose a great place to have the cam cut.

I'm not trying to go over the top with this project. I can't fit all that into the budget otherwise I'd just go the 347 route and that leads to a snowballing effect of other needed mods. Just a basic overhaul to keep her on the road another 10+ years, fix the annoying main seal and valve seal leaks on her while beefing up the cam and valve-train. I've read on here on several threads that after the exhaust, the cam is the 2nd weakest link on this engine. Well, I've already got about as high flow exhaust as you can get. Torque Monster Headers into 2.5'' High flow cats, no rear cats and dual in/out 40 series.

One thing you can do yourself while it is apart is to port match the upper/lower intake and the heads. It won't give you a big HP gain but every little bit helps and it won't cost you hardly anything to do it.

One thing you can do yourself while it is apart is to port match the upper/lower intake and the heads. It won't give you a big HP gain but every little bit helps and it won't cost you hardly anything to do it.

Have you heard anything about raised pistons as far as raising compression on a budget?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you heard anything about raised pistons as far as raising compression on a budget?

I know you can buy pistons that have a raised top that reduce the volume of the combustion chamber. Is this what you are referring to? If you change pistons there are a lot of them to choose from and I would recommend getting lightweight ones to also reduce the rotating mass. Just make sure there isn't any piston to valve interference with whatever you choose.

Milling the heads down reduces the compression ration too and costs less. Once again, just watch for piston to valve interference.

Back