• Register Today It's free!

Please hellllllp

90 xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt 4x4
Ok. I ordered lowering springs from this place and put them on, found out they gave me 3540.420s instead of 3540.520s. So ive been running around with a 1 1/2 lift on front till they ordered 3540.520s and had them shipped. Ten days later, today my springs come. box says truck pro kit 3540.520. I look them up and sure enough they are 2'' drop springs. So I install them and two hours later the rig is just as high as with the 3540.420s if not higher? Drive around and slam on my breaks several times to compress shocks and springs and nothing helps. So I look at the springs and they are marked as 3540.501s? They also say 37/99? Did they put the wrong springs in box? My rig is a 91 explorer xlt 4x4. Please help me cause im so pist right now. Im about to go put back on my stock springs so its lower?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somebody with the 2'' lowering springs please tell me what #s are on the spring itself. Not the kit #s.

WOW, slow down there. I can't understand what you're trying to say.

1. What kind of springs are you trying to get, lift or lowered?

2. What company did you order from?

I was looking for eibach 3540.520 2'' lowering springs. The company was Les Schwab Tires, its a NW company in Idaho, Oregon, California, Washington. Im thinking that since eibach discontinued the 2'' lowering springs (I just learned this) that they switched the part number to what I have now, and they keep ordering the same springs because the # still shows up as lowering springs. The thing is there are several sites on web who offer the 2" lowering springs under the same part # I have? So pretty much if eibach doesnt make explorer 2'' drop springs anymore Les Schwab cant get them. So now I have two sets of 1 1/2'' lift springs. I assume they will take them back because I did ask for drop springs and they are not drop springs.

What im wondering is this, I know its bad to cut the stock springs, but can I trim down the eibach springs seeing how they are better quality and are less likely to sag or buckle?

The Eibachs will give you a much better ride, I can tell you that. Eibach doesn't list springs for your application, so it does look like they are discontinued. I know I see a pair on eBay that pop up every now and then.

Now, you can cut your stock springs, but I would save that for a last resort. Whatever you do, do not cut the springs with a torch, that will alter the spring rate. Cut them with a sawzall or a similar tool.

I cut the eibachs by comparing them to stock springs and removing one ring less than the height of stock. Im fixing to install them and my rear 2'' lowering blocks tonight so I will post results. Im just worried if I cut to much off that the transfer case will be to close to oil pan. That is why most only go 2'' on 4x4 1st gens right? I wonder how much gap is safe between the two?

Correct, the oil pan is an issue. Also, you will not see a full 2 inch drop right after you install the springs. For the springs to fully settle, it could take up to 3 weeks.

Back