Please help 1998 sport slave cylinder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help 1998 sport slave cylinder

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
I went to start my truck in the am after we had a really cold night the master cylinder line popped off the slave I bought a new master and the slave won’t hold in the new line the metal cage is all jacked up I’ve tried to bend it and straiten it out but I think the metal is just to bendy now the cage keeps pulling out with the line dose anyone know where I can find a replacement cage ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to start my truck in the am after we had a really cold night the master cylinder line popped off the slave I bought a new master and the slave won’t hold in the new line the metal cage is all jacked up I’ve tried to bend it and straiten it out but I think the metal is just to bendy now the cage keeps pulling out with the line dose anyone know where I can find a replacement cage ?

image.jpg

the new line may not be correct. There’s different connection types depending on the year. Maybe they gave you the wrong one?

That is quite possible the stupid hydraulic lines can be proprietary,
Meaning only a luk line will plug into a luk master cylinder and or they changed the fittings over the years, there are two maybe three different styles one uses metal cage one uses plastic push collar, etc

Only source i know if for that part is to buy the entire slave cylinder
Or go to the junk yard the search usually there are lots of older 5 speeds just lying on the ground or in trucks with fairly easy access

Maybe go to parts store and have them pull some 98 style parts for you to look at on the counter so you can see if the metal but you need is there and going to work

That is quite possible the stupid hydraulic lines can be proprietary,
Meaning only a luk line will plug into a luk master cylinder and or they changed the fittings over the years, there are two maybe three different styles one uses metal cage one uses plastic push collar, etc

Only source i know if for that part is to buy the entire slave cylinder
Or go to the junk yard the search usually there are lots of older 5 speeds just lying on the ground or in trucks with fairly easy access

Maybe go to parts store and have them pull some 98 style parts for you to look at on the counter so you can see if the metal but you need is there and going to work
Yea I’m pretty sure it’s the right line for my transmission I have the old line and it looks pretty much just like it I had it in for a day or 2 pumping the clutch over 80 times trying to bleed so it was holding for a while than it popped back out and the cage was pulled out with the tip and I could not get it to hold its self in I’m wondering if I could just bend the finger in just not sure how far to bend them and don’t want to deal with it popping back out in the middle of winter going up a hill I may be buying a new slave and pulling the new cage out and putting it in my old slave

the new line may not be correct. There’s different connection types depending on the year. Maybe they gave you the wrong one?
The new one looks almost exactly like the old one I had it in for a few days bleeding it b4 it popped back out

Hey guys thanks for the help I’m pretty sure bending the fingers back in worked it slid in and is pretty solid in there the first time i had it in it would move alittle in and out this time it dosent budge so I’m hoping that it dosent pop back out when I’m away from home

Back