please help! sometimes wont start, 2 different ways! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help! sometimes wont start, 2 different ways!

orion1998_1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 mounty
i'm having a hard time, 00 explorer- sometimes wont start. i did have a side post battery with adapters, changed it. still sometimes wont start, tun the key and nothings happens. (bat connections were loose thats why i thought it was that) started about nov last year. now sometimes it will just keep turning over, when this happens i notice the theft light flashes fast. oneone have any idea what either of these are? i did try to replace the ignition switch, under dash, not key same thing happens, on a side note, the ignition switch has spliced wires, maybe a alarm at one time?

PATS disables injectors

If your "THEFT" is flashing rapidly then the PCM does not recognize your key as having a valid code and the injectors will be disabled. There is no point in even trying to crank the starter when "THEFT" is flashing rapidly. Did you actually replace the ignition switch and the key chip sensor? If so, I believe reprogramming is required by either dealer or possibly a PATS qualified locksmith. I'm not very knowledgeable about PATS. You probably should do a search and learn more about it.

key switch was never changed, i put the ignition switch back in since the problem seemed not to be it. what would cause it at random times not to recognize the key? what about tuning the key and nothing happens is that also pats? these both happen random what should i be changing or doing next?

Back