• Register Today It's free!

Please help

hondaguy1995

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 civic, 2000 explorer
I have a 2000 ford explorer sport with the 4.0 OHV. The truck has a slight pulse in the headlights and the instrument guage, and the battery guage is no longer in the middle but reading up high right underneath of the high level. when i drove it yesterday i noticed the battery guage was starting to go up to the high end so i turned around and drove the half mile back home and parked it. I turned it on this morning and the battery guage read high so i shut it off. I replaced my alternator 3 months ago because the other had a weird sound like one of the bearings went bad. Everthing was working well until the slight pulse started last week and now the high battery gauge issue... My mechanic who i trust is about 40 miles away from my home. Is this something i can drive out 40 miles down the highway to see my mechanic or do i have to hope i can limp it a few miles to a local shop and shell out big bucks. Will my battery fry my electric system when it fails if it does? Anyones thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing I would do is hook a volt meter to the battery and see what the actual voltage is.

Will a cheap 20 dollar voltage meter work for this?

If i buy a volt meter can i check my car battery with a 20 dollar meter or do i have to pay for an expensive one?

Clean all of your battery and alternator terminals really well. Also, make sure the grounds for alternator and battery are good. When you look at battery cables, make sure they are not corroded down into the insulation near the terminal clamps. Good luck.

For whatever it's worth electrical parts from some chain parts stores are pure crap. I have had good luck with Advance Auto and Rock Auto, Autozone not so much!

Back