• Register Today It's free!

po 455 large evap leak. 96 5.0

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
Has any one had a po455 on a 96 5.0? Evaporative emissions system leak (large one).

Seems to be running okay but a small loss in performance.

Not sure where to look first tomorrow when it gets light out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has any one had a po455 on a 96 5.0? Evaporative emissions system leak (large one).

Seems to be running okay but a small loss in performance.

Not sure where to look first tomorrow when it gets light out.

Start with the simplest thing. With any Evap leak I check the fuel cap right away. if the rubber gasket is cracked, or dried out, then that would throw a code.

Start with the simplest thing. With any Evap leak I check the fuel cap right away. if the rubber gasket is cracked, or dried out, then that would throw a code.

The gas cap isn't the problem. First thing I checked. The gas cap wont throw a code on a '96 any way. Ford disabled that due to lack of baffles in the tank in 96. When the gas sloshed around it would give a false cel.

Thanks for the quick response, any other common problems?

Any EVAP canister hoses cracked or loose?

OK, this is weird but I have seen it before-

You have to look real good, I mean pull the hoses off good, at the valve under the battery. You might remove the inner fender on driver side for access-

Seems corrosives from the battery get down to the hose stem on this evap valve-I think it is the solenoid the switches vacuum to the evap box near the spare tire-the vacuum travels from this valve thru a tube all the way to the tank and evap box.

Remove the hoses from this valve under the battery area--look them over real good, look at the stems, and valve for holes or what looks like plastic melting.

If this checks-then follow the lines back to the box on the driver side of spare tire. If it is all rusted out there may be a leak back there.

Turdle. It does not sound strange at all. I will check all that in the am. I am garageless so I need daylight to work.

Thanks. I think I knew a little about this stuff at one time but my memory is bad.

Back