POSITIVE 2011-2013 Ford Explorer Experiences | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

POSITIVE 2011-2013 Ford Explorer Experiences

...Things that impress me:
  • Design, build quality, and interior. This vehicle is handsome, is well put together, and has a very, very nice interior. Everything is within reach and works like it should.
  • Very comfortable road vehicle...
...So, I found the fuse and pulled the power, which reset the MFT system and it started working again. Whew! Day was saved...

Overall, this is a very nice vehicle with tremendous room, great features good driving qualities, and a great interior. Thanks Ford! :thumbsup:
Welcome to the forum, redcloud! I loved reading your post. I’m really glad you were able to troubleshoot the problem. I’m sure the community will love some pics. :D

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, redcloud! I loved reading your post. I’m really glad you were able to troubleshoot the problem. I’m sure the community will love some pics. :D

Cory

Cory,
Here's a pick from a week ago when I took the Explorer up to the top of the Big Horn Mountains to see how the 4WD system worked. Normally there's a good view of Black Tooth in the background, but the number of fires this summer have created a haze.

i-V5j9hFB-L.jpg

Hey redcloud, you have a good looking vehicle there! On our recent road trip, we over nighted in Sheridan. We also drove through the Big Horns, it really is beautiful around there. Funny you mention the haze, because we were really bummed that the haze seemed to follow us around. We'll have to redo our trip in the spring one of these years just so we can see the mountains without a gray curtain hiding them :)

I can add another positive experience to the list. Just finished running my '11 over 1400on vacation with a full load of gear and a canoe on the top. Truck (including MFT) performed very well and got just a hair under 18 MPG with the canoe on it at 70 mph. The only thing I still have outstanding is the smell under heavy acceleration.

Cory,
Here's a pick from a week ago when I took the Explorer up to the top of the Big Horn Mountains to see how the 4WD system worked...
What a gorgeous view, redcloud! The mountains are breathtaking too. (See what I did there? :D)

Hey redcloud, you have a good looking vehicle there! On our recent road trip, we over nighted in Sheridan. We also drove through the Big Horns, it really is beautiful around there...
I can add another positive experience to the list. Just finished running my '11 over 1400on vacation with a full load of gear and a canoe on the top. Truck (including MFT) performed very well and got just a hair under 18 MPG with the canoe on it at 70 mph...
VinceL & JDraper,

I heard you like Mother Nature, guys, so I put the “Great Outdoors” in badge form so you can enjoy nature while you’re outside ;):

badge38.png

http://www.Social.Ford.com/grab-a-badge/great+outdoors

...The only thing I still have outstanding is the smell under heavy acceleration.
Seriously though JDraper, I have your credentials from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage and I’ll arrange a call from your regional Customer Service Manager.

Cory

Just came back from a 1300 mi road trip 2weeks ago. NY to South Carolina. Averaged 24mpg! Truck drove like a dream! Only "problem" was the photo speeding ticket i just opened in the mail! Ugh! $150...Be careful in D.C....Still loving my explorer!

What a gorgeous view, redcloud! The mountains are breathtaking too. (See what I did there? :D)

VinceL & JDraper,

I heard you like Mother Nature, guys, so I put the “Great Outdoors” in badge form so you can enjoy nature while you’re outside ;):

badge38.png

http://www.Social.Ford.com/grab-a-badge/great+outdoors

Seriously though JDraper, I have your credentials from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage and I’ll arrange a call from your regional Customer Service Manager.

Cory

I like my outdoor 'badge' better :)

lake1.jpg

Just came back from a 1300 mi road trip 2weeks ago. NY to South Carolina. Averaged 24mpg! Truck drove like a dream! Only "problem" was the photo speeding ticket i just opened in the mail! Ugh! $150...Be careful in D.C....Still loving my explorer!
This really stinks, suzook. Remember: With great power comes great responsibility! ;)

I like my outdoor 'badge' better :)

lake1.jpg
You win, JDraper! :D:thumbsup:

Cory

I got my new Ford Explorer LTD 2013 (E353 Package). I was driving GMC Acadia (2008) which I still love more than Ford (sorry guys) purely because the drive in Acadia is better.
Doesnt mean that I dont Love my Ford as I have spent considerable time choosing this one.
Love Points of My Ford:
- Superb styling. The new design and exteriors rocks. Looks similar to Range Rover Evoque. The front grill looks real good.
- Interiors are the best in class. Anyone who entered my car had their jaw dropped seeing the styling, quality and finish of the interiors. The leather trim, soft plastic dash, prominent black finish Sony co-branded console, MFT, the dual info displays behind the steering wheel, ambient lighting, all superb and believe me, no comparison to any other vehicle in its class.
- Technology - BLIS, Lane Assist, Adaptive cruise control, collision warning, Rear view camera, voice command (surprisingly my Ford girl understands my Indian English more than my Apple Siri ;-) - I am addicted to all of it like my son is addicted to Power Rangers Toys...
- Twin Moon Roof - The Summer is still packing its bags to leave Dubai, yet I love the huge panoramic view.
- DVD entertainment - My car is equipped with Two DVD screens on the headrest. The best thing is, both are independent and can be played separately, and also it comes with a good quality wireless headphones and remote. Cant explain the peace of mind I get when the two boys start eating my brain on a long drive with the "Are We There Yet" Qs.
- Sony Audio with 12 speakers (with Sub Woofer) - Very good quality. But frankly speaking, i was wondering how come an Iconic American Vehicle comes equipped with a Japanese Audio system? I would rather have been more happier to see a Bose in my Ford.

Hate Points:
- I am facing a grind / Whine kinda sound / vibration on transmission. No one in and around Dubai is willing to acknowledge this and says Ford was born with this Grind noise and its the characteristic of Ford Explorer. Still fighting to make them acknowledge this first, getting it corrected is a longer shot.
- MFT shows some issues - FM station numbers on the screen not changing even though I moved to another frequency.
- FM doesnt show the name, only the numbers. How come? I am used to listening to Virgin Radio and if Ford can only mention it as 104.4, now I need to do some learning. Agency says Ford doesnt believe in promoting Radio brand names. ;-)

The bottom line is, my Love Points far drowns all the Hate Points. I am falling in love with my new Ford Explorer every single morning when I drive out of the garage to my office. Long Live Ford, Long Live my Love for Ford. ;-)

Hi,

Manumahdi,

I am also from Dubai and also got my Ford Ltd yesterday. I had Acadia 09 before and I agree about the drive quality as you mentioned.

In my case till now I didn't hear any sound or felt any vibration till now (300 KM). Hopefully It will not come.

Have you tried connecting your Ipod to the system through USB? or any phone for music. I can attach my samsung S3 via BT and use phone but I can't use my Ipod or phone for music streaming till now. I can see the list of songs, I can play them but all I see is timer running without any sound.

Also I have same problem with FM stations as you mentioned below.

Got mine on Friday. Ordered it with the 302A package. I really didn't want anything in particular that is in 302A that's not in 301A (except BLIS which you can get seperately), but I opted for it anyway. I learned the benefits of 302A on the drive home from the dealership. Adaptive cruise control is now a must for me. This vehicle has spoiled me in one weekend. Just got back from visiting the parents (a three minute drive), and it was so nice that the windshield wipers came on themselves as needed. Those little things make a big difference in the comfort of your drive.

I researched vehicles for a couple of years before placing my order. I thought I would end up with an Acura MDX. Somehow I did not realize the Ex had been redesigned. I've always really liked Explorers, but the previous models were not what I was looking for. I kept holding off on the MDX because I didn't like the styling of it and I don't like frou-frou brand names. One day my husband told me about how nice his co-worker's new Expedition was. I looked up the Explorer and saw that it was exactly what I had been looking for. It was ordered within a week. I was nervous the whole time I waited for it to come in wondering if would be everything I hoped for, but it is even better than I hoped for. I really love it! No regrets! No buyer's remorse!

I love having this luxurious vehicle that doesn't have a frou-frou name stuck on it like Acura or BMW. I'm not a showy person like that, and I really think I would have been embarassed to own a brand like that. Ford saved the day . . . no, years . . . for me and provided this BEAUTIFUL, LUXURIOUS vehicle that I can be proud to step out of each day. THANK YOU, FORD!

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with all the bells and whistles and I have to say aside from the minor warranty work that has been done I really like the car a lot. It should be known that all the minor warranty work was done at my factory scheduled oil change and didn't involve towing etc. All the family love the tech [especially the power-fold third row and panoramic sunroof]. I'd say if you are looking for a good, safe and stylish car to get your family around the explorer is a good pick. If you are kind of OCD'ish about little problems you might want to look into getting a luxury car. Overall, I would recommend this car to someone looking for a 7 passenger suv. :)

Lovin' my new Explorer XLT!

After a 6 week wait, our 2013 Expl XLT arrived a few weeks ago. Now has 500 miles and not one problem with anything so far - plus with a better rebate offer than when we ordered it!!! This is my wife's new SUV - and she LOVES driving it. 202A Package, Tow hitch, Power tailgate, luggage rack cross-bars, and a few other goodies. Sterling Gray with black charcoal interior leather. Absolutely no problems with MFT/Sync services!!! Cannot wait for big pittsburgh snow fall!

After the problems we had with a fully loaded 2002 GMC Envoy (179K miles) we are over-the-top excited with the Explorer!:chug:

2013 Explorer XLT

We just picked our XLT 202A Package, Tow hitch, Power Gate, luggage rack cross-bars up on Saturday and just broke 500 miles this morning...

We are in LOVE...

One-month report

It's been a month since I took possession of a 13 Limited, Black, Charcoal Gray/Pecan, 302A. I am indeed impressed. I moved from an 07 Tahoe XLT which was also nice, but this vehicle is a serious improvement. Of note, I'm most impressed with:

• Adaptive Cruise Control - a little disconcerting to trust at first, but am now hooked
  • Auto wipers - certainly not a required feature, but awfully handy
  • Conveneint steering wheel-mounted controls for most dash functions
  • Rides like a car - I knew this design was built on a Taurus frame, but I forgot moving from a Tahoe how much nicer this is
  • Ultra Quiet interior - crack the windows just a bit and I realize how quiet the interior was
  • MFT - despite a few glitches with iPhone playlists and consistent BT syncing, I love it

I'm a little underwhelmed by:
  • Blindspot warning lights in the mirrors -- they don't seem to illuminate early enough
  • Visibility out of the back window - a little small compared to the Tahoe
  • Third row seat didn't quite stow flat -- not a huge deal for me since I have a cargo liner permanently in place

I took a few photos a couple days after taking delivery and I have to say I'm impressed with the small speckles in the black paint. I'm sure there's a name for it, just not sure what it is. Very slick look.

2013 Explorer Limited Photo Set

Nice pictures! We have that color on my wifes '11 Fusion Sport-it's a sharp color. Also came from a Tahoe to an Explorer. The ride is smoother on the Explorer and the cruise control actually works-maintains speed perfectly up hill and down hill, unlike the Tahoe which was a run away train in the mountains!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pics! The tuxedo black is really an interesting color .. so much depth to it. I'm definitely pleased with the new ride.

Just bought the wife a 2013 XLT in Green Gem color. Have not seen a single other Green Gem on the road. Dealer told us its a brand new color in 2013 model so I like having the only one so far!

No probs with the truck so far, just mediocre dealer experiences.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far my 2013 XLT has been trouble free. I wanted one when I first saw the spy shots back in 2010! I sold my beloved Harley and traded a 2008 Chevy Malibu 2lt in for what is been my dream vehicle. This is the first vehicle in my life that i waited until I was right side up in my trade and had a sizable cash deposit. This is my first car where I am still right side up on the note even after driving off the lot!

I love this Explorer. I owned a 2005 XLT 4x4 and hated to see it go but the gas mileage sucked.

I hope to have another 5 years of great roads ahead!

Back