POSITIVE 2011-2013 Ford Explorer Experiences | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

POSITIVE 2011-2013 Ford Explorer Experiences

I haven't seen many posts on how useful the third row actually is. I am 6 feet tall and I can actually use the third row seats. The third row wouldn't be my first choice for long car rides but they are definitely extremely comfortable for smaller people. Compared the the Mazda CX-9 the seats in the ex are amazing. The power third row is really cool too. Just forget there is a gigantic bag of Costco tortilla chips int he third row when you fold them down [like me]. It is hard to make them stop before they wreak havoc on your chips!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Explorer Sport - trip report from forum newbie

Hello all,
Left Sydney, Nova Scotia last Friday with a new Explorer that had just over 400kms on it. I had winter tires just installed (18" on steel wheels). Destination was Montreal, Quebec and the trip took me through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and then upon into Quebec. Experienced all the normal weather that this time of year holds...from clear skies and sun to ice and snow. Travelled on highways and interstates to back country roads. This vehicle handles very well.
Had the opportunity acquaint myself with MFT and all the gadgets that come with this ride. The nav system takes a little getting used to but when you get the hang of it, it works very well and came in handy when planning for fuel and breaks. The adaptive cruise control works well and all you do is shift lanes when you notice that you're coming up on someone's rear and it keeps the speed as set. As far as speed, this vehicle has plenty of it. From stop light acceleration to starting a pass at 100 km/h... it does it with ease. You need to be mindful of your speed as the ride quality is very good.
The lights work well but I'm looking for a HID system to install as I'm used to that brightness and travel a lot at night ;)
Enjoy your rides!

Just traded my 2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid in on the 2013 Explorer Limited...brief switch to GMC made me all the happier to come back to ford. Ever lift the back seats out of the Yukon!!! Explorer is loaded with everything except......center console in the back.. I messed up on that...who would think no arm rests...all the research I did and I missed that one. Glad I ride in the front!

Hi,
Have you tried connecting your Ipod to the system through USB? or any phone for music. I can attach my samsung S3 via BT and use phone but I can't use my Ipod or phone for music streaming till now. I can see the list of songs, I can play them but all I see is timer running without any sound.

Don't know if you already solved this puzzle...
When connecting my iPhone (either 3GS or 4S) via USB or BT, sometimes I do have to double check the iPhone to make sure it is on Dock Adapter or SYNC as needed... Otherwise it works pretty well...

We bought our 2011 limited in Sept. We had multiple problems with the Sync rebooting constantly. Dealer put new board in it and latest software and it has worked flawlessly. We love the car. It is very comfortable, great build quality, and meets our expectations.

We bought our 2011 limited in Sept. We had multiple problems with the Sync rebooting constantly. Dealer put new board in it and latest software and it has worked flawlessly. We love the car. It is very comfortable, great build quality, and meets our expectations.

I'm glad to hear that you've fallen in love with your Explorer, milliganus! If you ever have any future concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Crystal

New 2013 Explorer XLT

Hi all - Just thought I would share my initial impressions of our new 2013 Oxford White AWD XLT. We added some a few extra options and I have to tell you that I really like the car. I also have a 2002 Explorer and wow, what a difference! We literally only have a 125 miles on the new one (picked it up on Christmas Eve), but we have enjoyed driving it around the last few days.

The My Ford Touch system is working great. The touch screen has been responsive and easy to get to what we want. Have not done too much with the voice activated commands just yet.

We are taking a trip to the Poconos tomorrow, so we'll see how she does on a longer trip...

That's all for now....:salute:

Hi all - Just thought I would share my initial impressions of our new 2013 Oxford White AWD XLT. We added some a few extra options and I have to tell you that I really like the car. I also have a 2002 Explorer and wow, what a difference! We literally only have a 125 miles on the new one (picked it up on Christmas Eve), but we have enjoyed driving it around the last few days.

The My Ford Touch system is working great. The touch screen has been responsive and easy to get to what we want. Have not done too much with the voice activated commands just yet.

We are taking a trip to the Poconos tomorrow, so we'll see how she does on a longer trip...

That's all for now....:salute:

Have an awesome time in the Poconos, micgang! Keep us posted on how the road trip goes; if you need anything from me, I'll be here. :)

Crystal

My 2011 limited is awesome! The sync turn by turn is better than the nav. I got a great deal and I've had great service on a few little things. The telematics in this car are ground breaking and really are the best thing going. Super impressed. Can't wait for applink!

What an awesome vehicle!

We are a very happy and proud owner of a 2013 Ex Limited. Ours came with the Dual Panel Moonroof and the Powerfold Third Row. What sold the car to both of us was the MFT and Sync additionally I love the moonroof and the power third row is my wife's love oh and of course the overall look of the car. We bought the car on 3rd week of Dec and we now have 2100 miles on it. We just went to Stone Mountain in Georgia and I had a blast driving this car and talking to Dorie (Dora the Explorer...get it ha ha ha). The voice recognition software is the best I have tried. Way better than Apple's Siri. When the 3rd row is up you can only fit 2 large suitcases at the trunk. I placed 2 duffel type bags on top of the suitcases and visibility at the rearview mirror is still great. This is our first really big vehicle, we've only had a CRV and midsize sedans so I am quite interested in the fuel usage. I averaged 23.5 mpg on the interstate. I find that driving 70+ mph the mpg decreases, however not really bad for a vehicle this big. Before buying this car we test drove the Q7, Merc GL, went inside the Enclave, Infiniti JX, Chevy Traverse and looked at the CX9 from the outside. I know some might say the other cars that we looked at are luxury cars but that is exactly my point this Ex is similar to those in terms of looks and feel. The Q7 has too many buttons, the GL is the best but at least 20-25K more. The Enclave looks old, the JX does not have the look and difficult to get into the third row, the Tracerse just looks bland and the CX9 is even more bland. We guess the Explorer is just the perfect fit. Looking forward to exploring more places with our Explorer.:D

We are a very happy and proud owner of a 2013 Ex Limited. Ours came with the Dual Panel Moonroof and the Powerfold Third Row. What sold the car to both of us was the MFT and Sync additionally I love the moonroof and the power third row is my wife's love oh and of course the overall look of the car. We bought the car on 3rd week of Dec and we now have 2100 miles on it. We just went to Stone Mountain in Georgia and I had a blast driving this car and talking to Dorie (Dora the Explorer...get it ha ha ha). The voice recognition software is the best I have tried. Way better than Apple's Siri. When the 3rd row is up you can only fit 2 large suitcases at the trunk. I placed 2 duffel type bags on top of the suitcases and visibility at the rearview mirror is still great. This is our first really big vehicle, we've only had a CRV and midsize sedans so I am quite interested in the fuel usage. I averaged 23.5 mpg on the interstate. I find that driving 70+ mph the mpg decreases, however not really bad for a vehicle this big. Before buying this car we test drove the Q7, Merc GL, went inside the Enclave, Infiniti JX, Chevy Traverse and looked at the CX9 from the outside. I know some might say the other cars that we looked at are luxury cars but that is exactly my point this Ex is similar to those in terms of looks and feel. The Q7 has too many buttons, the GL is the best but at least 20-25K more. The Enclave looks old, the JX does not have the look and difficult to get into the third row, the Tracerse just looks bland and the CX9 is even more bland. We guess the Explorer is just the perfect fit. Looking forward to exploring more places with our Explorer.:D

I'm so glad to hear that you're in love with your Explorer, dabucs! You should check out http://owner.ford.com - in addition to downloading important vehicle documents, you can also schedule service appointments and get valuable coupons.

If you ever need any assistance, I'm always just a PM away!

Crystal

First post here. Bought my 2013 LTD in Oct and love it! Gave up a Beemer for it and can honestly say I don't miss it! So far, so great! But...whats up with that massive Ford emblem on the front grill! Bet I would get 3 more mpg without that thing!!! LOL

2013 Ford Explorer

Recently purchased 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. Like the vehicle. Paid extra for the power tailgate, which I am glad I did since the hatch window does not open. Still trying to figure out how to install the Easy Exit for driver seat.

Just a quick note about a trip we just took. We drove from Long Island to Florida and got home last night. The trip was a 11 day journey with stops along the way down and back.

We left on Monday morning (1/28) and had 2 issues within the first 120 miles, both BSOD's on MFT. It crashed once and came back on after resetting itself (maintenance...ahemm), then 30 miles after the first one it did it again and reset itself. The next 3,200 miles were flawless! I was a bit worried at first with the 2 crashes but when that was behind us it was a pleasure to drive. I have a heavy foot and was hitting 80+ on the way home because we wanted to beat the blizzard we are having now, we actually were suppose to come home today but skipped a night to beat the storm, got in last night. Wound up with 20MPG for the whole trip and like I said I was flying at times.

Just have to say the Explorer was just awesome!!!:D

Here is a couple quick pics I got while in Florida, sorry none of the Explorer.

http://decamp.net/dpr/fl2013_1206nsn.jpg

http://decamp.net/dpr/fl2013_0704nsn.jpg

got my 2013 xlt end of jan - MFT has worked flawless, like streeming music from my iphone, listening to text messages and all the phone integration....

Just a quick note about a trip we just took. We drove from Long Island to Florida and got home last night. The trip was a 11 day journey with stops along the way down and back.

We left on Monday morning (1/28) and had 2 issues within the first 120 miles, both BSOD's on MFT. It crashed once and came back on after resetting itself (maintenance...ahemm), then 30 miles after the first one it did it again and reset itself. The next 3,200 miles were flawless! I was a bit worried at first with the 2 crashes but when that was behind us it was a pleasure to drive. I have a heavy foot and was hitting 80+ on the way home because we wanted to beat the blizzard we are having now, we actually were suppose to come home today but skipped a night to beat the storm, got in last night. Wound up with 20MPG for the whole trip and like I said I was flying at times.

Just have to say the Explorer was just awesome!!!:D

Here is a couple quick pics I got while in Florida, sorry none of the Explorer.

@gdecamp, great pictures!! I have some paddling buddies who take wildlife pictures like that. Whereabouts in Florida were you, if you don't mind my asking? I love that on our morning jog we can see otter, gators, blue herron, anhinga, egret,rabbits, raccoon, etc. We've had bear in the front yard, panthers stroll the neighborhood, deer in the woods, etc. Unfortunately, all that comes with hideous amounts of sticky humidity, mean mosquitoes and love bugs that destroy paint on brand new Explorers!!!

I've clocked over 16K in our new Ex since we picked her up Aug '12 and I have to say, I thoroughly love the Ex! We ordered from the factory and waited approx. 14 weeks. The dealer experience was disastrous but luckily Ford Customer Service was able to help us out along the way. Our Ex drives smoothly on the highway, and I agree with the previous post that you have to watch your speed as you can easily get up there without realizing you are speeding. MFT and I generally get along. Occasionally I curse at her when she can't figure out how to call my husband...but this doesn't happen that often and the good ol' "DIAL" voice command still works. I agree that the Sync turn by turn directions rock! I loved them in our previous Fords with Sync but the integration with the driver's dash is really pleasant. I find the turn by turn less intrusive and less distracting than nav systems and we actually skipped the nav in the Ex. No regrets there. We love the dual moonroof and the third row is very functional. We especially appreciate all the room that's available for storage behind the third row. Most importantly, the Ex has been approved by our three furry pups!!
Happy driving!!-
Toddy

I really like the backup camera delay feature. I haven't seen that on many other cars. It actually is really useful. My ex is kind of a tight fit in my garage and the delay feature makes sure I am far enough in to close the door. MFT also has come a long way. With the newest update my MFT is super responsive. I actually like it better then the iDrive in my x5.

I have a base model '12 Explorer with bench 2nd row. Only thing I miss is 8 way power seats (mine has 6).

The few issues I've experienced so far are easily dealt with during regular maintenance visits. Otherwise, the ride is smooth, the seats are very comfortable for short and long drives, and the appearance is what attracted me in the first place. My kids (12, 10, 8) can all operate the 2nd row seats on their own to get into the 3rd row, the dog rides comfortably on one of the folded 3rd row seats (between NJ and IN), and the front wheel drive has been fine for what little snow / ice we get in this part of the Northeast.

I would buy this again, only spend a little extra money for the XLT and get the better power seats.

@gdecamp, great pictures!! I have some paddling buddies who take wildlife pictures like that. Whereabouts in Florida were you, if you don't mind my asking? I love that on our morning jog we can see otter, gators, blue herron, anhinga, egret,rabbits, raccoon, etc. We've had bear in the front yard, panthers stroll the neighborhood, deer in the woods, etc. Unfortunately, all that comes with hideous amounts of sticky humidity, mean mosquitoes and love bugs that destroy paint on brand new Explorers!!!
Toddy

Hey Man, thanks!

We were staying in Cocoa Beach but did most of the photography at Merritt Island and another spot southwest of Cocoa Beach called Viera Wetlands. There are quite a few places I go in Florida like Everglades, Estero Beach, Ft DeSoto, Ding Darling (on Captiva) and some others. Great place for photography. Hey maybe I know your friends or they know me, small world it is in Nature Photography!

Thanks for the note!

George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Limited awesome

5 weeks and everything works great, no issues at all.
Gas mileage not too shabby either, but plenty far to go until break in period is over.
Car feels great on the hiway and local.
IAK works great, cannot beat remote start, and opening, starting, stopping, locking the car without a key is awesome.
Bkup cam is great including zoom, just wish the distance graphics showed numerical marks as well.

Voice commands work well, but I'm an OG MSFT voice command user, I have been using the same voice command since the Windows Treo came out.
I'm using an older Windows phone, BT is flawless, just pair it once and can turn BT off and on and it pairs up right away, car and phone remember each other.
Call quality is very good, no one knows im in a car, and steering wheel phone controls work great.
Text isnt a feature of this devices BT, but auto phone book download and call lists work great.
I would bet any Windows//MSFT phone will work well in any car using an MSFT operating system.(Hoping Galaxy S4 is going to pair up as well, but who knows?)

MFT/Nav works great, has been accurate and I dont lose signal in the Big Dig tunnel system. Also FM/AM - great signal and HD radio usually sounds 10 times better than SiriusXM. SXM sometimes sounds tinny or far away. Other times it sounds awesome. SiriusXM works well but I do lose signal in tunnels and for a second here and there around taller buildings.

So far so good.

Back