Possible Blown Head Gasket? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Blown Head Gasket?

Well here's a few pics. The block is cleaned and ready for reassembly. The second pic is of #3 (one of the heads was cracked on that cylinder). Looks like something was rattling around in there for a bit.
P1060358.jpg

P1060359.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man thats not good.any damage to the cyl walls? Thats a 94 right? I ask because i dont see an egr but looks like you have a CPS.

What cast number is stamped on the heads and the block?block is stamped above the mounts.i wanna say its a 95tm heads and 93tm block, now i look back at your heads they look like the smaller cc ones but the pistons look like first gen dish

That looks right to me.. I think..

Here is a snapshot I just took of our old 1992 ohv motor that is now lying in the back yard. (click on the pic for bigger views)

6643071873_850e398afc.jpg

Untitled by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

That looks right to me.. I think..

Here is a snapshot I just took of our old 1992 ohv motor that is now lying in the back yard. (click on the pic for bigger views)

6643071873_850e398afc.jpg

Untitled by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

I edited it before you posted.it has a camshaft senore for sure and no egr was my point.piston look like first gen and heads look like 95tm but really hard to tell that tho

I can't comment on the cam sensor and EGR as I have neither :). I know CA model can change stuff too.. but I too thought EGR was on 93 and cam sensor was on 94 (on ca models) but I'm no expert..

I looked back at his head pics and is is a 1st gen 90/93tm head.

Here is a pic I took from the 'net with both in the pic..

5977549265_408a3e949f.jpg

Ford 4.0 95tm and 93tm heads by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

I can't comment on the cam sensor and EGR as I have neither :). I know CA model can change stuff too.. but I too thought EGR was on 93 and cam sensor was on 94 (on ca models) but I'm no expert..

I looked back at his head pics and is is a 1st gen 90/93tm head.

Here is a pic I took from the 'net with both in the pic..

5977549265_408a3e949f.jpg

Ford 4.0 95tm and 93tm heads by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark
Yea see how the 95tm comes in to like a point and the 93 dont,his looks like a 95. Look at your pic of the block at the bootm where the distributor hole is,yours has a cap,his has electronics and on his manifold you can see no egr pipe.as far as i know egr started in 94 and cps started in 95 with ob2

Nevermind he has 93 heads,just looked on a computer not my small phone.but he does have cps and appears to have no egr

Man thats not good.any damage to the cyl walls? Thats a 94 right? I ask because i dont see an egr but looks like you have a CPS.

What cast number is stamped on the heads and the block?block is stamped above the mounts.i wanna say its a 95tm heads and 93tm block, now i look back at your heads they look like the smaller cc ones but the pistons look like first gen dish

It's a 94'. It had EGR but I removed and plugged it. The down pipe rusted in half and I couldn't get the nut of the exhaust manifold. What is CPS?

If by mounts you mean the engine mounts, I couldn't get in there to see. So I'm assuming it's a 93tm block since it's the last year. My heads are 93tm's (oval chamber).

The two scratches in the cylinder wall can not be felt with my finger nail...

P1060363.jpg

It's a 94'. It had EGR but I removed and plugged it. The down pipe rusted in half and I couldn't get the nut of the exhaust manifold. What is CPS?

If by mounts you mean the engine mounts, I couldn't get in there to see. So I'm assuming it's a 93tm block since it's the last year. My heads are 93tm's (oval chamber).

The two scratches in the cylinder wall can not be felt with my finger nail...

P1060363.jpg

O so you had both.guess it did come in 94,learn something new.yea i was wrong about the heads,just couldnt see on my phone.man to be honest those walls look real bad.if it was me and you had time and money i would redo that block.you cant even see any of the hatching marks and im sure that water destroyed your bearings.what you are going to spend on gaskets and heads bolts again down the road could just be used for the rebuild now.im just one to do it right the first time and not mess with it again down the road.or just run it till you lose oil pressure then do a built with a cam;)but i would get a real oil gauge and keep a good eye on it

O so you had both.guess it did come in 94,learn something new.yea i was wrong about the heads,just couldnt see on my phone.man to be honest those walls look real bad.if it was me and you had time and money i would redo that block.you cant even see any of the hatching marks and im sure that water destroyed your bearings.what you are going to spend on gaskets and heads bolts again down the road could just be used for the rebuild now.im just one to do it right the first time and not mess with it again down the road.or just run it till you lose oil pressure then do a built with a cam;)but i would get a real oil gauge and keep a good eye on it

Thats the only cylinder that liiks like that (coincidentally that chamber had a crack). I can see the factory crosshatch in all the other cylinders.

I just don't have the money, space, time or extra tools to do that (although I'd luv to).

I'll just pick up a real guage like you said and monitor it.

I thought I read somewere on the forum that you could put a actual pressure sensor in place of the switch and use the stock gauge?

I thought I read somewere on the forum that you could put a actual pressure sensor in place of the switch and use the stock gauge?

Thats what we did to our '92. The oil pressure gauge moves like it should and I used a label maker to mark where 20, 40 and 60 psi were (I used my air compressor and regulator set the pressures so I could mark them).

Here's the link to that thread in the useful thread forum.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65575&highlight=oil

~Mark

Only problem i see with that is you need to mark where an unsafe level is.if it was me i would just pick up a cheap old three gauge unit from the parts store or ebay and mount it under the ashtray.and yea i hear you about time and money.it just depends on how bad those bearings are,to how many miles you will get,things are strong!might wanna think about a filter inline from the pcv to intake,that one cyl probably will get alot of blow bye.

Only problem i see with that is you need to mark where an unsafe level is.if it was me i would just pick up a cheap old three gauge unit from the parts store or ebay and mount it under the ashtray.and yea i hear you about time and money.it just depends on how bad those bearings are,to how many miles you will get,things are strong!might wanna think about a filter inline from the pcv to intake,that one cyl probably will get alot of blow bye.

Ok, not to alert Mr. Murphy but I might have the Ex running tomorrow?...:dunno:

Knocking on wood!!hell yea

Well it's all back together. Went well, no issues. Tomorrow I'll be filling her with anifreeze and oil (with seafoam) to do my warm ups and cool downs as per jd's suggestion.

Oh there was one thing. I snaped the end off of my torx bit :eek: when I was giving the last head bolt it's <quarter turn, lucky it was the last one (busted a couple knuckles on that one):rant:.
P1060397.jpg

Well she sarted right up and ran. Did my warm ups and cool downs. Changed the oil twice with seafoam. Got a little nervous when the exhaust started smoking, but I assume that was the new exhaust gaskets burning in so to speak along with any oil that had dribbled on them from the out bound head bolts.

Enerything seems to be good. The cooling system pressurizes, although I think I should get a new cap. No white smoke out the exhaust or smell of coolant. I'm still getting some smoke out the oil fill cap, but I'm assuming it's blow by, no sign of coolant. So time will tell, keepin my fingers crossed...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats water vaporizing from the oil.that why i suggested the warm ups and cool downs.did you get a new pcv valve? I take and warm it up and shut it off and stick my vac in the fill hole and try and suck all that steam out.you wont get that much blow bye to the point of seeing it.glad she fired right up,just take it easy for a bit and double check those lower bolts

Back