Post Volant install questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post Volant install questions...

97SHOgt

Reaction score
Well I got my Volant in Friday and installed it tonight. The worst part was that I had a problem with on of the vaccuum hoses, the hard plastic one. I went to AutoZone and bought a couple feet of hose and all is good. I have two questions. I have a little play from front to back since it really doesn't secure to anything. It's tight but not tight enough to keep it from moving when I hit the gas. Lastly I now have a whistle/whine when I mash the throttle only, not when cruising or anything. Any ideas what that could be from? All of the hoses seem to be on tight without leaks. Could that be somethig to do with the play of the box as well?

After my short test drive I really didn't notice much more performance or anything. Throttle response seemed the same. The noticiable difference was in the sound, which was good, except for the whistle/whine. Do I need to disconnect the battery for awhile to reset the computer? I'm going to look at it again tomorrow after work. Anybody, have any suggestions in the mean time? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya you should reset. As for the whine, make sure everything is clearing the belt. It could just be a normal engine noise, i know alot of people say the same after installing an intake system.

I'll head out and disconnect it overnight and I'll also check the belt. Then I'll look everything over again in the daylight. Thanks for the tips.

I started getting a bit of a whine after I installed my K&N FIPK. And you can just hear the intake work when mashing the gas

Well I checked everything over and everything was attached properly so my next step was to try to see if the whine was coming from the lid not sealing properly. So I pulled it all back out (which only took a couple of minutes) to seal that lid.

Before I started...

P1010032.jpg

The gasket I used that was sticky on one side.

P1010033.jpg

I stuck the sticky side to the lid, you could do it either way.

P1010034.jpg

Took some black RTV gasket sealant along the inside corners and inside edge.

P1010035.jpg

Then put it back on.

P1010037.jpg

A few minutes later she was back in and looking pretty.

P1010031.jpg

End result...didn't stop the whine which was what I was hoping for. I'll get over it. At least the lid is actually sealed now. If you were to do this I would recommend a gasket that is 1/8" or less or use longer screw which I may do. The gasket I used was 5/16" because it was all they had at AutoZone. Ideally they should add four more screws to the lid of this box and it would be good. Oh well. I'm 95% happy with it.

where did you find a Volant for the SOHC engine?.... I have looked but only seen the OHV

FYI for the fitting of the air cleaner to the fender area, add a couple of items. Mine was loose also, and after many months I decided to improve it some.

Add a short piece of vacuum hose to the edge of the radiator support. Notice the wear on the top front edge of the Volant air cleaner box. Slit the side of a two inch piece of vacuum hose and place it where the Volant touches the radiator support.

Add two or three pieces of heater hose under the Volant housing where the OEM iar cleaner box set. Cut pieces of heater hose to about 1/4" long/thick, and set them in place where the Volant air cleaner sets on the fender bracket. They will shift some over time, but those things will make it fit more snugly. Regards,

where did you find a Volant for the SOHC engine?.... I have looked but only seen the OHV

I bought mine off ebay for $235. They have them right on there site. Part #19640. Just search for it on the web.

FYI for the fitting of the air cleaner to the fender area, add a couple of items. Mine was loose also, and after many months I decided to improve it some.

Add a short piece of vacuum hose to the edge of the radiator support. Notice the wear on the top front edge of the Volant air cleaner box. Slit the side of a two inch piece of vacuum hose and place it where the Volant touches the radiator support.

Add two or three pieces of heater hose under the Volant housing where the OEM iar cleaner box set. Cut pieces of heater hose to about 1/4" long/thick, and set them in place where the Volant air cleaner sets on the fender bracket. They will shift some over time, but those things will make it fit more snugly. Regards,

Thank you for the advice. I'll have to try that.

Back