Solved - Power loss solved. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Matteo93x

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer xlt
So I was having some issues with my 93 explorer 4x4.no egr.felt like it was stumbling or dragging.loss of power.honestly I thought the exhaust was choked up or fuel pump was going.i started with the air filter and throttle body.air filter was dirty as hell but looked ok will replace.cleaned the throttle body and removed intake pipe.to inspect maf.the grommet that connects pipe to maf box looked like it had been connected wrong and been that way for 20 years.the rubber was bent out of shape.while inspecting I noticed a hole in the pipe where it flexes.temporary fix with duct tape.also when connecting back to maf.the pipe is so crudely built that it did not fit properly.this thing has probably been sucking air behind the maf for 30 years.thus this was my problem.un registered air was getting sucked in through holes and leaks.ill probably just end up replacing the whole assembly with an eBay cold air kit.or some sort of home built snorkel.runs 100% better now and finally getting all those 160 horses 🐎
IMG_20220908_121136880.jpg
IMG_20220908_121146722.jpg
IMG_20220908_121155014.jpg
IMG_20220908_124323500.jpg
IMG_20220908_124329816.jpg
IMG_20220908_124340474.jpg
IMG_20220908_124350124.jpg
IMG_20220908_124747687.jpg
IMG_20220908_124752530.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was having some issues with my 93 explorer 4x4.no egr.felt like it was stumbling or dragging.loss of power.honestly I thought the exhaust was choked up or fuel pump was going.i started with the air filter and throttle body.air filter was dirty as hell but looked ok will replace.cleaned the throttle body and removed intake pipe.to inspect maf.the grommet that connects pipe to maf box looked like it had been connected wrong and been that way for 20 years.the rubber was bent out of shape.while inspecting I noticed a hole in the pipe where it flexes.temporary fix with duct tape.also when connecting back to maf.the pipe is so crudely built that it did not fit properly.this thing has probably been sucking air behind the maf for 30 years.thus this was my problem.un registered air was getting sucked in through holes and leaks.ill probably just end up replacing the whole assembly with an eBay cold air kit.or some sort of home built snorkel.runs 100% better now and finally getting all those 160 horses 🐎View attachment 434136View attachment 434137View attachment 434138View attachment 434139View attachment 434140View attachment 434141View attachment 434142View attachment 434143View attachment 434144
nice, good to know!!!!

Just got my '94 Sport a few weeks ago, had a little stumbling and CEL on. Didn't have any holes in the air pipe thing but the rubber grommet at the throttle body end looked a whole lot like your MAF end one. Tried to find a replacement, had no luck at all. Ended up replacing the MAF sensor to fix the CEL, and stumbling seems to have gone away, but I'd like to feel more confident in those grommets. Tempted to go the eBay route as well, but they seem pretty cheesy.

Just got my '94 Sport a few weeks ago, had a little stumbling and CEL on. Didn't have any holes in the air pipe thing but the rubber grommet at the throttle body end looked a whole lot like your MAF end one. Tried to find a replacement, had no luck at all. Ended up replacing the MAF sensor to fix the CEL, and stumbling seems to have gone away, but I'd like to feel more confident in those grommets. Tempted to go the eBay route as well, but they seem pretty cheesy.
Yeah I was ready to throw everything out and start with new pipe.but too many times I've regretted being super reactive.ill see how this works for awhile but will probably end up with some sort of hard pipe and new silicone connectors.ill wait to replace the filter I just blew it out for now.i had a cel pop on and off very rarely. Mostly highway I guess when it really started pulling air and needing fuel.👍

All the tubes I’ve seen have cracked and crumbling accordion pleats, but usually on the bottom, so you can’t tell unless you take the tube off and flip it over. My fix was to wrap 1” silicone tape around it. My rubber grommets are looking their age, I’d love to find some replacements.

The hole was underneath in the accordion area.also some oil was present in that area on the inside of the tube from the crankcase tube that goes to the oil fill.in the last picture you can see there's a lil hole where the grommet goes on and doesn't quite seal properly.like a slit in the plastic pipe.i don't see how this pipe specifically ever was 100%.in any case my rig is running like a top.power everywhere no misses and idle is perfect.now I just have some leaky freeze plugs to deal with.and also with winter coming up it's time to really go through the cooling system and replace the cracked cooling fan 👍

You can also seal the intake pipe with rubberized sealant or plastic weld type of products, I had to do that about 10 years ago and it has held up really well.

Back