• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Leak

DonE

Reaction score
City, State
DeKalb, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Noticed a very small leak under the left front weel of my X. Had the Ford dealer check it and he said it was a leak in the power steering rack. Also, that it is very slight and just to check the power steering fluid and it wasn't necessary to replace the rack at this time. I check in Auto Zone for some stop leak and they had one put out by Prestone that was for auto transmissions. The lable said it was compatable with Ford Xmissions. Now, my question is: Is this auto xmission fluid compatable for use in the power steering that calls for Mercon. Also the lable said not to use more than one quart in your xmission. Would it work if I would check the capicity of the power steering and figure the same ration as the transmission? Also has anyone had any luck using stop leak? Ford quoted me $550 for a new power steering rack - Auto Zone quoted $179. Am I better off biting the bullit and getting a new rack or play around with the stop leak? All suggedtions and info appreciated.

Don

my .02

If the dealer said it is not that bad, just keep checking and live with it. otherwise power steering fluid is basically the same thing as tranny fluid, so any kinda stop leak should work also in the power steering system. i hope someone buts in and says i'm way off if i am, but this is what i have been told and i use tranny fluid in my power steering system for years without a problem ever...

no stop leak, that stuff is just plain bad, I'd only run that crap in a beater that I don't care about. keep an eye out for a rack, don't need to get one now, but look for the best prices around, Namitey and I just replaced his, not a bad job, first time around.

Back