Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Bushing Replacement

Great thread!!!! both of my rear windows haven't worked in almost 2 years and my front passenger just started acting up, i removed the whole regulator and motor assembly from the passenger's rear and locked it in position, the other one stays half way open all the time for my pup, two year old GSD. Luckly i kept my rear passenger regulator assembly, i opened it up today and same issue, those bushing where completely gone, called my local parts store (O'reilly) and found the "gear rebuilt kit" which has the large plastic gear and the 3 bushings for $18, discount thru my shop, normally retails for $33, now i dont think i need the new gears so i will call around and find just the bushings to fix all of them this weekend
See my post above... I used 3/8 vinyl bushings from the hardware store. much cheaper. a little noisier than stock as the rubber bushings transfer less sound. Not much difference tho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See my post above... I used 3/8 vinyl bushings from the hardware store. much cheaper. a little noisier than stock as the rubber bushings transfer less sound. Not much difference tho.

thanks, but i was able to find the Help kits for about $7, figure that was worth it

The power windows on my 92 quit going up and down. The motor would make noise, but the window wouldn't move. There are 3 plastic bushings inside the gear drive of the power window motor that crumble. This is my step-by-step replacement with pics.

First, open the door. On my 92, it was the left rear.
door.jpg
What happened to the Pics on this post?

What happened to the Pics on this post?

PhotoBucket, or wherever they are hosted, changed their policies a few months ago, and they want $$$$ to host them to 3rd parties (like us). So the OP could become Elite and have them hosted here, or could use some other image hosting service.

The text descriptions in the OP may be enough to go on. I'm planning to use the text soon, anyway.

Thank you so much for posting this and re-uploading the pictures. It has been very helpful! The windows on my '92 Explorer starting failing one after the other. This tutorial allowed me to replace the bushings for the front driver and passenger side.

The biggest pain for me was to get the bolts for the motor back in when reassembling. I didn't have a tool with a magnet so those suckers kept falling in the gap between the two holes.

I used the HELP packages from AutoZone. I did have to shave down the bushings to get them to fit but it worked and my windows are working again.

Back