Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Bushing Replacement

Some time back I remember seeing a similar nicely done photo thread on another site. I'll try and find it and post a link, then you'll really have it all in one place for one stop shopping! Also I'll post a couple sites that sell a kit that also includes the gear incase yours is boogered up. Finally, I had not realized that the HELP! section had these, so at lunch visited my local Kragen. Yep they have it, $11.49 for these 3 little buggers. For the enterprising, you can make your own out of Nylon rod cheaply. The dimensions of the ones in the HELP package are .595 dia and .429 high. 5/8's rod should work nicely. I also seem to recall that the factory buttons are slightly flattened on one side, I think the other post may show that.... the ones in the HELP package are totally round. DAVE did you find you needed to flatten one side a little with sandpaper or anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The back ones went in without modification. Took some time and a little coersion with a rubber mallet and silicone grease, but doable.

The fronts would not work. I had to slice off the excess with a knife. A flattened side would have probably worked. Also on the fronts, the screw holding the cover plate on the motor was round. The rears used Torx screws. On the fronts I used a pair of pliers on the round bolt head. Why they didn't use a screw with a hex, allen, or torx head I don't know. Anyways, if 1 is bad, the rest aren't far behind.

The HELP packages from AZ were either $4.99 or $5.99 for the 3 bushings. Or maybe both. It was a couple of months between fixes. They probably knew I had 2 more to fix, and jacked the price up on me. Now that I've done all 4, the price will probably come down.

I'm glad this is of help to you, Glacier. You've helped me in the past on A/C work and saved me a bunch of money. What goes around...comes around.

VERY nice info. :chug:

Thanks,

Even though I just replaced the two front motors in my sport this would have saved me alot of time. I got a kit on ebay that had the bushings and the new gear for $15 shipped. I wanted to get the gear too because I didn't know what parts were bad.

i just finished my 4th door. i did the first 3 a few months ago and i just got around to doing hte 4th a few minutes ago. for the bushings, i put 2 of them in the gear and then put the metal part in halfway. i then put in the 3rd bushing in at an angle between the metal part and the gear so that as i pushed the metal part down, it would push the last bushing in with it.

Nice job. I got a broken cable on my Passenger rear. I think that job is more "interesting" then the motor. I wish I had your pics for that job.

Help Part number is 74410. Some of the gear kits that you buy from Autozone may or may not have the plugs in them. In my case, they did not, and the moron at the counter even gave me a very used plastic gear in the gear kit. The one I pulled out of the box had the plug crumbs in the cogs and even in the box.

Great pics and directions. This literally saved me $200. Also learned that the door switches just unplug and you can replace those if needed. Thanks guys.

Gator... nice to have you on the site... why not throw $20 of that savings towards joining us? Lots of great info here, and you have already seen! Either way, welcome.

Glacier991 said:
Gator... nice to have you on the site... why not throw $20 of that savings towards joining us? Lots of great info here, and you have already seen! Either way, welcome.

$20 for $200 in savings, and I'm sure more to come?

DEAL!

Use 7/16" ball bearings instead of bushings

I think I paid $2.79 for enough 7/16" ball bearings to do 2 doors. They work great and will never come apart.

I need to something like this this weekend. My front drivers side motor just went out. :(

I like the suggestion of ball bearings.... do they provide enough support to the other parts I wonder? This is still on my plate to do to my driver's side window, so I may explore both methods. I Like people who think outside the box! Thanks slsmith!

Gotta say thanks! Just finished up with this project. Fronts are a little different but the overall job is the same. I'm kinda curious about the ball bearing too. I still need to do the passenger side.

when I unroll my back windows they vibrate and shake and jerk down... will this fix that problem? or is that another part of the electric window assembly?

Thank you!!!

Just had to fix my first window motor - a snap with this thread!!! Thank you very much!!!

Note that my Autozone is charging 7.99 for a pack of the bushings, and Schucks was 11.99. I'll be keeping an eye out for better prices as the other windows are sure to follow.

I have a 94 and all windows except the front drivers side window, either have a hard time going up and down, or wont go up and down at all. It seems like the motor is getting bogged down or something. The windows do move, however. Could this be cause by the bushings in my motors being broken like in the pics in this thread? Or do I have to replace the motor?

Eric

85Dave said:
The power windows on my 92 quit going up and down. The motor would make noise, but the window wouldn't move. There are 3 plastic bushings inside the gear drive of the power window motor that crumble. This is my step-by-step replacement with pics.

First, open the door. On my 92, it was the left rear.
door.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those that don't work at all, bushings are a high probability, esp. if you hear the motor spinning. The slow ones could just need fresh lubrication, from greasing the gears and bushings inside the motor, to the window guides and tracks.

aireq said:
I have a 94 and all windows except the front drivers side window,
either have a hard time going up and down, or wont go up and down at all. It seems like the motor is getting bogged down or something. The windows do move, however. Could this be cause by the bushings in my motors being broken like in the pics in this thread? Or do I have to replace the motor?

Eric

Back