Preparing for VB Rebuild, Have Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparing for VB Rebuild, Have Questions

buaiteoir

Reaction score
Thanks for the great VB dairies. Getting ready to do my 96 Ranger 4x2 with 4R55E. What do you use to clean the VB parts with? How much cleaning should be done. If I am not going to totally disassemble it, can/should it be submursed in cleaning fluid? If yes is there some sort of lube (tranny fluid?) that should be applied afterwards. How clean do you have to get the gasket surfaces? Any tips for cleaning them? Is anything applied to the gasket surfaces in the VB?

I did not see a FAQ on basic questions like this, is there one?

Karl

Nicely done BillJ.

Brake parts cleaner is good when you have everything apart, but if you use it during disassembly you will find things tend to bind up... they NEED that lubricant to move - tight clearances! Don't use it on anything you still need to take apart!

If you need something right away, I recommend any teflon based spray lubricant. I do not find WD-40 to be as good, but certainly useable.

If you have a really gunky valve body, I suggest you remove each bore's contents, draw a diagram of how it goes together, and bag each separately in a sandwich bag or something similar. Once the VB is empty, go ahead and use Brake cleaner, or even mineral spirits (which is what I use in my parts cleaner) to clean it up. Once it is dry, respray into the bores with teflon lubricant before reassembly. Also, spray the spools before inserting them. Your job will be easier.

Gasket surfaces need to be clean of any old gasket. Discoloration is ok, just no gasket remnants. I often use a razor blade, but if you do BE CAREFUL.... this is aluminum and easy to cut and score.... use a VERY FLAT angle, and, I'll say it again - BE CAREFUL !

Gaskets do not need anything applied to them.

Back