Preventive water pump replacement or extended warranty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preventive water pump replacement or extended warranty

Cam Cornelius

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
2010 CVPI
Callsign
K1CAM
Got a sweet deal on an immaculate 2014 PIU at state auction. You can barely even hear the 3.7L engine running! It was a State Trooper unit, so it has high highway miles at 170,000.

I'm debating on spending $300-400 on an extended powertrain warranty to take me to 200,000 or to just go ahead and get the water pump replaced now.

I work from home and don't put many miles on the car.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I've historically been a Crown Vic guy...this is my first Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is that a lot of maintenance, some of it proactive, has been performed on this PUI, so the first thing I would do is try to find the maintenance records associated with it. Perhaps with research you can find out exactly what entity owned and used it within the state. I'm also thinking they would keep very detailed maintenance records due to the important use of this vehicle. If you are successful in finding the records you can make a more informed decision as to whether or not to proactively replace the water pump. Lastly, if you do replace the water pump based on maintenance records you should take advantage of the labor associated with it and have the timing chain and related components inspected and think about replacing the spark plugs, etc.

Just curious, who would sell you a warranty with 170k on the clock? I know you can't with Ford so it must be a 3rd party and with that, I'd be very cautious on buying one.

Cant imagine the cost would be cheaper than having the job done now and then not having to worry about it in the future rather than spending all the money in Hope's it happens within the next 30k. And if it doesnt, the money is gone and you still have not had it replaced.

Welcome to the Forum Cam.:wave:

Peter

I am with Blwnsmoke, I would just do the replacement for peace of mind.

Thanks Sixone,

Most of the service was done by the THP motor pool. I have an open records request in for the service history, but who knows how long gov't will take :-/ If I do change out the pump, I'll take your advice and get the other components replaced at the same time as well.

My guess is that a lot of maintenance, some of it proactive, has been performed on this PUI, so the first thing I would do is try to find the maintenance records associated with it. Perhaps with research you can find out exactly what entity owned and used it within the state. I'm also thinking they would keep very detailed maintenance records due to the important use of this vehicle. If you are successful in finding the records you can make a more informed decision as to whether or not to proactively replace the water pump. Lastly, if you do replace the water pump based on maintenance records you should take advantage of the labor associated with it and have the timing chain and related components inspected and think about replacing the spark plugs, etc.

Back