Pro Comp 2WD 3" Lift Spindle Suspension Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pro Comp 2WD 3" Lift Spindle Suspension Kit

DixieOnMyMind59

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
I've done the TT and shackles and i want about another 3 inches of lift on my 2wd X for a total of 5 inches of lift and im not going to mess with a body lift. Does anyone have any information about this kit 2WD 3" LIFT SPINDLE SUSPENSION SYSTEM KIT Would i need an all new leaf pack to get 5 inches in the rear? Would i be able to clear 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains with JUST this kit + TT & Shackles?

Thanks,
Colton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, i KNEW this wan't going to get any replies so im just going to change up my question a little bit to maybe get a simple answer....

If I buy the Fabtech 3in lift spindles for the front and buy the Superlift 4in lift leaf pack for the rear and keep my shackles on the rear and do a slight TT adjustment, should this work out for an "even" lift? I want to clear 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains on the stock rim.
Thanks,
Colton

i got the same thing you do...tt with spindles (about 5") and i have 3" in the rear from aal's...to even things out, im going spring over and taking the aal's out...stock leaves thrown on top will give you 5+" or so...and yes, you should def. be able to clear those tires...

that wouldnt work for an awd truck now would it???

Don't get me wrong deavers are the cadliac of springs but the $$$ you would save by doing a soa, would be worth it. deavers =$500 SOA=$50

I think I will work pretty well, or you could go SOA for the rear lift.

I thought about doing that but i have a lot of questions about it...

1. What are some of the disadvantages of doing a SOA conversion?
2. Would I need a longer driveshaft?
3. How do i reverse the strut mounts?
4. Is there a how-to write-up on the forum about it?

Thanks,
Colton

Ok, ok. Is the only hard part about doing a SOA having to weld new spring plates to the axel tube? One of my good friends just told me he knows how to weld and has 3 welders in his garage so im gonna do the SOA if SOMEONE can answer my few questions.
Thanks,
Colton

Yes, you will need to weld new perches on the axle, you CAN flip the stock u-bold plates but i'd just get a new set...not that pricey, and you will also have to add tabs to mount your shocks ;)

Ok, thank you.

Is there a "How-To" write up on the site about doing a SOA?

Good luck finding the lift spindles for the 2wd Explorer. I called around to Fabtech and Procomp and they're not making them anymore due to low volume requests. Those clowns at 4 Wheel Parts (what a joke) practically laughed at me when I went in there asking for them. The kid told me I chose an "unpopular vehicle to lift." What does he know?

I also looked in to the Ranger spindles and everyone says "it should work" or "I think they fit" or something like that but nobody has been able to say exactly if it works and what steps are involved. The best I have been able to find out that 98-03 Ranger lift spindles should work but you'll need to swap out the rotors too.

BTW, if anyone has the 2wd lift spindles for sale I want them bad! I'm dying to get spindles and do SOA to get some more inches.

Good luck finding the lift spindles for the 2wd Explorer. I called around to Fabtech and Procomp and they're not making them anymore due to low volume requests. Those clowns at 4 Wheel Parts (what a joke) practically laughed at me when I went in there asking for them. The kid told me I chose an "unpopular vehicle to lift." What does he know?[/URL]

Well how about this....the part number for the Explorer Fabtech 3in lift spindle is the same exact part number for the Ranger's Fabtech 3in lift spindle.
Check the part number of this Ranger spindle (extremely good price btw) and compare it with the part number of this Explorer spindle

Okay looked into Colton's post and it appears the 01-05 Ranger Edge has the same Fabtech kit# FTS98300-7. Here's the installation instructions http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pdfs/instructions/FT98300-7 Instruction Sheet.pdf

Similar info found here http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=90603

Anyone know the 98 2wd Explorer front disk diameter? According to the instructions "These spindles can only be installed on trucks with 11.25" rotors" There's also a good note about the required wheel backspacing at 3.75", probably to keep the spindle from being over-stressed.

I have read that the Fabtech spindles will not work with stock wheels but the Pro-comp spindles will. The only problem with that is I cannot find anywhere to buy the the Pro-comp spindles by themselves - all of the ones i've found come in a kit with add-a-leafs (that i do not want, i will be doing a SOA) and the kits cost from $550 - $700.

*EDIT* I just called Pro-Comp and they told me that they have completely stopped making 2wd lift spindles for all vehicles.

* MK3 - Are you still looking for spindles? They're all over the internet (the Fabtech ones made for Rangers that fit X's). Have you ever heard of SpringTech? They make some 3'' lift spindles for X's and Rangers but i can only find them for sale on Ebay. They're only going for about $350 and they come with a set of [useless] blocks and some new u-bolts. When i get the money, im going to buy the SpringTech ones off of Ebay because it says that they will work with stock wheels. The seller says he has 20 sets available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use Spindles for the ford ranger Edge models. Those are the only spindles that will fit on an explorer due to the size of the brake discs. try the website www.dezertrangers.com and see what they have. they ussually have a couple people selling them.

Ive heard bad things about the EBAY ones. Ive heard they snap, im sure someone will chime in and tell you about thier experiences on here.

Back