• Register Today It's free!

Pro Comp or Rancho?

Timcars8

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ranger 4x4
I'm looking to buy either the Explorer Pro Comp ES9000 or the Rancho RS5000 shock.

Which one should i get???

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm a Rancho man myself. these for the front of the rear?

ya might want to cheak out there 9000X's!

both front and rear

and yes, those 9000X's are insane. But they are way out of my budget. :( But if i were in that budget, i'd get bilstein...

then get the 5000's

k so rancho > explorer pro comp ?

I've heard the Rancho's ride like crap... The 5000s are supposed to be horribly stiff onroad, but I've never used ProComp. Not many people have used them either... My local shops have told me to stay away from Rancho just b/c they don't like the ride qualities. I also have a Sport, so a stiff shock in the rear would really mess up my ride! I'm thinking i'm going to go with the Gabriel VST's myself....

This question would prolly help if you gave a percentage of driving onroad vs driving offroad. Also, are you lowered, stock, lifted?

Robb

um if it is a off-road X then why do you want it all kooshie? ya want stiff so there not much body roll. and for the fact that rancho ride like crap, there about 20X better than stock. i love them

I have the Rancho 9000's (adjustable), and I really like them. For normal around town driving, I usually set them on 3 which is the same stiffness as the 5000's. If you go offroading much, they might be too stiff. (offroad, I turn mine down to 1, which is a lot softer).

Gonzo - ya know they will bottom out easier when set on 1 when going off-road. you want stiff so allow more time to bottom out and prevent that. set it to 9 or 8 and you'll see what i mean.

Well I do alot of around town driving, but also a good deal amount of trails.

But yea,i've also heard that ranchos ride bad, and thats why i posed the question. I'm tempted to go towards the ProComp.

and my truck is currently stock height (4x4 hieght).. but i'm raising the front up wtih 1.5" springs, and addaleafs in the back. So I guess you could say my truck will be lifted...

so lets say i do 80% around town, and 20%-30% offroad

Just food for thought the Gabrial VST is maid by Monroe. The Gabrial VST is the same thing as the old Monroe Magnum 60 for full size trucks and the Monroe Gas Magnums for Mid size trucks (Explorer/Ranger). Now can you guess who makes Rancho shocks ... Monroe. The Rancho 5000 is the off road version (w/o the metal bell over the piston rod) of the Gabrial VST/Monroe Gas Magnum. Maybe this will help you figure out what shocks you want.

Back