Problem after problem: alternator edition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem after problem: alternator edition

roughrider17

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
While back i posted a little note about my charging system and was recommended to take it to a shop to have it rebuilt however i am 19 years old going through college so id like to be SURE before i do anything first...

So here are my problems thus far:

Ive recently installed a pioneer double DIN radio along with 4 pioneer door speakers and a 400 watt sub-woofer and amp.

Frequently, when i come to a stop at a light or sign, my RPM's would drop to around 500, and the alternator would click on (or it might be the voltage regulator) and it would bring it back up.

Now today a new thing occurred, i was travelling at around 95 KPH which translated to around 2100 RPM's on the phone through my radio and when i hung up and my music came back on my truck seemed to surge, the RPM's quickly dipped down to 1900 or so then shot back up to 2100.

Now once i got home i took a multimeter and made some measurements, i know it isnt the battery as it read 12.57 V with no load

When i put my ST under full load at around 1500 RPM's the alternator was going off like mad every 20 seconds or so maybe even less and the voltage went from around 13.20 to 12.97 on the battery.

small side note, when the RPM's noticeably dipped down, a gear of sorts clicked on, on the drivers side engine bay close to the battery, what the heck is that?

Next i ran a test to check out the grounding system , i put the positive lead on the ground side of the battery and touched the casing of the alternator and it read .07-.08 which TBH im not sure if that is within reason or not... but i hope so.

Anyways, question time.
First of all, does a 2002 ST have an external voltage regulator that would be easy to switch out to rule that out ?

Next, what should a stock ST alternator be putting out normally?

Finally, should i still go ahead with a rebuild of the alternator for higher output? or should i get a brand new higher output alternator and throw it in myself?

Thanks so much guys ! youre always such a huge help to me, in my long learning process!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never heard of an alternator "clicking on and off" Are you sure you are not hearing the clutch in the air conditioner? The alternator is belt driven and is charging constantly. Not sure about a second voltage regulator, but I am wondering out loud if the bone yard might have a higher output alt that you could get on the cheap from another Ford product. F-150 or F-250...old cop car Crown Vic?

Que the Hawaii 5-0 music...you will be hearing from that guy in paradise...

I have zero idea what the click is haha maybe ill grab a picture tomorrow and post it tomorrow... and i assume if i grab another alternator it will not be a direct bolt on ?

Is there a reason why you don't just go to a parts store and buy a new or remanufactured alternator and turn in your old one for the core charge?

Id like to know exactly whats wrong before i pay someone for something... keep in mind im in canada and a brand new alternator $250.00 plus tax (13%) so its a fairly big purchase for me, going through college with a part time job haha. To add on to that, if i get a new alternator and it was something else it would suck

Okay so this is the item that "clicks" on, and when that happens my trac noticeably drops in RPM's... what the heck is it?
one second while i figure out the whole image thing again...
IMG_2483_zpszvh2bear.jpg

Okay, so its whatever is on this pulley under this resevoir... its on the drivers side.

Heres another angle
IMG_2484_zpszfbt1ede.jpg

its the front of that pulley theres a plate on it and it makes an audible click and spins for a few seconds and then stops

I have never heard of an alternator "clicking on and off" Are you sure you are not hearing the clutch in the air conditioner?
^ Mustang 6878 called it, and should not be related to your engine "surging" issue.
Have your alternator tested and scan for trouble codes, check engine light or not.

The pictures are of your air conditioner compressor. It spins with the belt, but has a clutch in it. It will click on and off because you either have the a/c on OR you have the defrost / heater setting on. ( It makes no matter that the fan is not on) Turn the heater/ vent/ a/c setting to the middle "off" position and that turns the compressor clutch off.

I agree with swshawaii, drive it to an Auto Zone, Pep boys or other large auto parts store and they should be able to put a scanner on the charging system while the Trac is running and be able to tell you all about your altenator, battery and voltage regulatior for free. Keep us informed as to what you find.

I believe my ac clutch constantly clicks also. I thought it did it whether the ac was on or off, I have to double check.

But from your post above you say if the ac/heater is off then the clutch should not engage and disengage but only when it's on? Would that indicate a bad ac compressor or 1 on its way. My ac works, I mean seems Normal to me but definately not ice cold. I don't use it much and don't drive the truck as much as I used to

From the Auto Zone website-
"Compressor
When diagnosing an air conditioning issue, it's easiest to begin at the compressor.

With the engine running turn the A/C on max cool, set fans high, and make sure that the clutch is engaging on the compressor.
Note: this is not the pulley, but the center piece that engages the pulley to the compressor shaft. If the clutch is engaging and disengaging rapidly, the refrigerant may be low.
If the clutch is not engaging, use a voltmeter to check for voltage getting to the compressor.
If there is voltage - the clutch may be bad.
If there is no voltage - a cycling switch may be bad, a fuse may be blown and the system may not have enough refrigerant pressure to trip the low pressure cutoff switch that cycles the compressor."

Hey there. My compressor is clicking on and off as well...

Did you come up with a fix to this problem?

Thanks.

Back