Volt gauge fluctuating, flickering lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Volt gauge fluctuating, flickering lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I only had them test my battery and they said it was like 65% so the problem had to be the alternator. Seemed like that was the case so I put on a new one and it seems to maintain a higher charge but I'm still getting fluctuating voltage gauge and my rpms are at 500 .

Well I only had them test my battery and they said it was like 65% so the problem had to be the alternator. Seemed like that was the case so I put on a new one and it seems to maintain a higher charge but I'm still getting fluctuating voltage gauge and my rpms are at 500 .

If you want you can raise your RPM a little to see of that will help. I like mine around 600+. There's a throttle plate stop screw on the throttle body. By turning it OUT it opens the throttle. It doesn't take much to raise the RPM to 600-650 'ish.

Note if you turn the screw IN you have to be careful not to go to far because the throttle plate will stick closed. It needs to remain open just a crack to prevent sticking.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated!

Sorry everyone but I have another newbie question. So I finally got a multimeter and was checking my battery when I kept hearing a clicking noise. I noticed that the AC/clim. wheel the serpentine belt goes around spins, clicks, stops spinning for a few seconds then starts spinning again .and it just keeps doing that .I'm not sure but it seems like the rpms drops when it does it too. So my dumb newbie question is, is it supposed to do that?? Thanks for all the helo everyone, I really appreciate it.

Sorry everyone but I have another newbie question. So I finally got a multimeter and was checking my battery when I kept hearing a clicking noise. I noticed that the AC/clim. wheel the serpentine belt goes around spins, clicks, stops spinning for a few seconds then starts spinning again .and it just keeps doing that .I'm not sure but it seems like the rpms drops when it does it too. So my dumb newbie question is, is it supposed to do that?? Thanks for all the helo everyone, I really appreciate it.

That's normal. It's the A/C compressor clutch cycling.

Oooh ok cool. Thanks! Yeah it was making me nervous because it kept doing that like every 10 seconds. Do you think my voltage issue is making it turn on and off so fast? I saw on another forum that could happen. Thanks again!

Oooh ok cool. Thanks! Yeah it was making me nervous because it kept doing that like every 10 seconds. Do you think my voltage issue is making it turn on and off so fast? I saw on another forum that could happen. Thanks again!

I don't see why your voltage issue would have anything to do with your A/C compressor cycle time. It cycles based on system pressure and is controlled by pressure switches. 10 seconds seems a little long for it to cycle, but if the A/C is cold I wouldn't be concerned. Mine cycles maybe every 8 seconds, but it will vary depending on outside temperature. If you A/C is slightly low on refrigerant it could be increasing the cycle time, but you'd need a set of A/C gauges and a temp/pressure table to determine that. Like I said, if it's cold I wouldn't worry about it.

Also i ran the truck to test the battery voltage with a load and alternator charging and it was jumping all over the place. With the truck running but nothing on like ac, headlights or radio the volts constantly jump from a low of 14.02 to a high of 14.18 and everywhere between. Won't stay steady. With ac, radio, headlights and interior lights on it's jumping from a low 13.92 to a high 14.10. with AC off it goes from a low 13.95 to a high 14.05. What's going on? Why does the voltage keep jumping around and not stay steady? I just put on a new alternator so I really hope it's not the voltage regulator. The battery voltage is steady but is slowly dropping. I shut the truck off and it settled at 12.19 but it's slowing dropping. It's at 12.00 less than 5 minutes after I shut it off . Ok now it's at 12.39

I don't see why your voltage issue would have anything to do with your A/C compressor cycle time. It cycles based on system pressure and is controlled by pressure switches. 10 seconds seems a little long for it to cycle, but if the A/C is cold I wouldn't be concerned. Mine cycles maybe every 8 seconds, but it will vary depending on outside temperature. If you A/C is slightly low on refrigerant it could be increasing the cycle time, but you'd need a set of A/C gauges and a temp/pressure table to determine that. Like I said, if it's cold I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah the AC works fine except it slows down when my volts drop .so I totally agree with you on that. Dude, I'm so frustrated haha

So I tested the voltage from alternator to batter and these were my results .( Haven't had a chance to check starter connections yet)
Positive voltage between alternator and battery is around 0.05

Negative voltage between alternator and battery is a steady 0.01

I'm so confused as to what that all means .

Back