Problem with windshield fluid nozzles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with windshield fluid nozzles?

SilverBullet

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0
So, before we got this really cold snap, my windshield washer fluid would come out just fine.. Yesterday we got our first snow and cold snap (9 degrees F, -5 wind chill) and they wouldn't shoot any water out.. not even a sound like the pump was TRYING to work.. so I figure, it's been sitting all night, it's probably a little frozen. So I let the truck warm up, drive an hour to work, then park inside the parking garage all day at work. I go out in the evening to start my X, and it STILL won't pump and washer fluid out.

Is this a common problem, where when it's cold out the washer pump stops working? It's not just regular water in there, it's common washer fluid... so that shouldn't be frozen. And yes, I did check to make sure there was fluid in there.. it's almost full.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happend to my wife's WindStar... I cannot hear the pump and wonder if it is frozen. The fluid appears ok, but I'm thinking the pump sits at the bottom of the tank which is where the highest concentration of water is. The fluid I use is made of water and alcohol, and I think the alcohol is lighter than water and will float thus the bottom would be more likely to freeze.

I'm pretty sure you need to get a Below Freezing washer fluid for winter time. I do and have never had it freeze on me...usually come late november or so i'll mix some in with my normal 32 F and up stuff and by the time it starts snowing i'm on straight 32 below fluid and never freeze up...trying using some of that stuff might help you out

I think the problem with the Windstar and Explorer might be the multi-function stalk that controls the fluid/turn signal. They're lousy and don't work half the time. I have to hold mine down for 10 secs before it'll work.

i think it's made that way actually. So if u want to just tap it to get a quick wipe u don't end up using fluid everytime. I like that feature because i usually just tap it in rather then turn it to use my windshield wiper intermitent feature during light drizzles and such (if it is even a feature lol )

Rain-x washer fluid in the winter

My only advice is to take the washer motor out and check through the motor's intake and outlet to see if there are any obivous clogs or any obvious clogs in the lines... also I would too suggest a winter time windshield washer, I love the rain-x washer fluid, it normally caughts $2.xx for a gallon and has the benifits of -30 degree F threshold and the benifits of rain-x window treatment every time you wash you windows with your windshild washer (also works well in the rear resivor to help with morning ice on the rear window faster than the rear defroster) Just some notes from past experiences hope it can be handy for you.

A good place to start troubleshooting is the driver's side nozzle. Right above the windsheild wiper motor is a little 1/4" plastic hose going to the bottom of the cowl. Carefully remove this hose, and turn on the washer. If there is no fluid, then suspect your pump. If there is fluid, there is a chance that the nozzles broke internally - mine did.

If you don't get any fluid, check your pump fuse first. There is a chance it blew if the pump was frozen, preventing further damage.

I get this every winter. After the fourth winter I gave up and just thought that this was normal. Ford Quality is Job One! ...Nice.

If your fluid is not frozen, your pump should work, try tapping it. We have already had sub-zero temps in Iowa, and I'm talking actual air temp and not wind chills, (wind chills have been down to -35F) and my fluid sprays just fine, even at -10F!

Of course, I switched out my regular blue summer stuff to the winter grade stuff. I use Prestone De-Icer, which protects down to -40, and even at 10 below zero, my W/S washer spray system works just fine, even on the rear.

As expected yesterday's temp went to 48F from a previous low of 3F the other day. When I got home from work the Windstars washer pump worked without any problem. I do have a gallon of winter fluid, but cannot add it because the fluid is already full. I do have a packet of Prestone winterizor I can add to the fluid which will lower its freezing point.

DeRocha said:
I do have a gallon of winter fluid, but cannot add it because the fluid is already full.

Waste the 99 cents and use that regular fluid up, can't take more than a minute or so of spraying windshield fluid. Think of it as flushing the lines. Seriously though you don't want to need your fluid one day and it be frozen.

jeff96 said:
Waste the 99 cents and use that regular fluid up, can't take more than a minute or so of spraying windshield fluid. Think of it as flushing the lines. Seriously though you don't want to need your fluid one day and it be frozen.
Yep, listen to him, that is exactly how I purged my blue summer stuff and added the winter yellow stuff.

jeff96 said:

Or just get a small tube and syphon the fluid out into an empty jug, no sense wasting it, or getting it all over your truck/yard.

Or you can do what pisses me off most, i'll be riding my bike behind a car and they turn there ####ing windshield wipers on. Nothing like riding on a a nice warm sunny day and getting doused by windshield fluid at 60 mph. But then again thats better than the cigarettes they throw out.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the Prestone Winter packet I added is designed to convert summer washer fluid to winter. :) So the wife is good to go.

Had the same problem recently. I couldnt get fluid on the passenger side. Looked closely at the cowl where the jets are and noticed my jet wasnt there. I figure I must have banged the jet deep into the cowl when I was scrapping off some ice. I knew it wasnt frozen as I use -30 fluid year round. Took the cowl off and the clip holding the jet was broken. Had to epoxy the jet in place.

Well, I got home from my holiday trip to nice 60 degree weather. Went out and tried my washer fluid again, and nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Even for the rear window. I try to turn it on, but nothing squirts out and I don't hear any noise... I'm assuming I should hear the washer fluid pump from inside with the car on and the windows up..? I popped the hood, and there is plenty of fluid in there.. I even made sure the plugs were all connected to the pump and sensor. Where would the fuse be? I'll check that next.

Well, I finally checked the manual to see which fuse controlled the washer pump. Saw that #12 fuse, 7.5, controls the pump for the front and rear washer fluid. Popped the fuse box cover, pulled the fuse, saw that that it was blown!! BINGO!

So, I replaced it.. but the only thing my local store had was a 10 amp fuse.. I figure 10 isn't much higher than 7.5 for the mean time, but I'll eventually get a 7.5 to put in there. Now I can finally see the road!

Oh man I hate it when the fluid doesn't come out and my windshield is covered with road salt!! I have my oil changed, and always tell them to NOT top off the washer fluid - of course they always do. theproblem is that the fluid they put in is water laced with oil - lol.

I have noticed the Explorers and my wife's Escape both freeze much easier than any other car I have had in recent memory. It must be the location of the jet or sommat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have just purchased a stock 94' xlt and i had no idea what an awsome suv i was investing in. the only time i have been stuck is when i high centered it i need more ground clearence i have seen alot of people here with 5.5" and 3" body lift what do you think and what size tires? also any other upgrades do i need to do?

Back