Problems and Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems and Questions

ExplorerChrisWay

Reaction score
I have a '91 Explorer XLT manual. I have a couple of problems. First, I just had the entire clutch system replaced (master cylinder, slave, everything), and it still works like crap. It almost seems like it loses clutch pressure the longer I drive. After awhile, it gets to a point where I can hold in the clutch and roll forward, or grind going into reverse. Next, I have a huge transmission oil leak. I think it is near the front top of the transmission, and was wondering what that might be, and how much to fix. Also, what would be a cheap mod to increase accelerating power?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah, forgot to add that battery almost always goes dead in the desert, and has been replaced twice, never replaced cables, though I have cut them back where they are corroded. Also, it sounds like the A/C compressor squeaks at low rpms and was wondering if maybe that was the belt, or it was something in the A/C compressor

Check you're freeze plugs, they maybe the reason for you're leak. If you push in the clutch and fluid drains out, it's losing pressure therefore going back into gear even though you're foot is on the clutch. Check the "Explorer Tips" link at the bottom of this page. As far as a cheap mod goes you can drill holes in the air box for free, or buy the KKM air kit for about 90 bucks delivered. You'll feel the difference with either.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Trane (edited 02-04-2000).]

Just relaying some old info, the tranny has 3 rubber plugs on the top side, they dry out or fall out, I believe there is replacement metal caps, and you either drop the tranny, or remove the console and carpet and go through an access panel in the floor.
The squeel could be a loose belt, which is preventing the altenator from efficianty charging the bttery, and the a.c is causing extra drain.
------------------

91 Sport

[This message has been edited by raven2 (edited 02-04-2000).]

The thing is, my slave cylinder is not leaking to my knowledge. I took it to the shop where they fixed it first (idiots) and they said that it was the master cylinder. I had that replaced by someone else, and it worked ok for awhile, then got bad again. I took it back to the shop where the slave cylinder was replaced, and they still said it was the master cylinder. Their reasoning behind this was that if the slave cylinder was losing pressure, it would leak fluid, but if it was the master cylinder, it would just leak back into the resevoir. Which would it be? Also, are there any downsides to drilling holes into my air box?

Back